Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does your Phantom have an unlevel horizon?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi all,

Was just about to order a P3P but I've noticed a few videos recently with an unlevel horizon. If I understand correctly, this is due to a defective gimbal or IMU. Just wanted to know how many people have had this issues, and if you have, what can you do to rectify the problem? Is it the result of a miscalibrated IMU or is it something more serious? I realize this could be rectified in post but I'd rather not have to chop off some of the video

Many thanks

Oli
2015-5-17
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

The IMU needs a calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.
2015-5-17
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

steven.sdharris Posted at 2015-5-17 22:57
The IMU needs a calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.

So it is a user-rectifiable problem and does not need shipping back to DJI?
2015-5-17
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it can be fixed from the mobile app.

I believe you can also tweak the gimbal orientation manually if required.
2015-5-17
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

l had issues with my gimbal and camera out of the box, but gimbal tilt is not one of them. Mine is straight. Maybe we could do a poll to see how prevalent it is.
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

It seems to be an issue that comes and goes. It might take off with a level horizon, spin it 90 degrees and it might tilt a bit. Fly around, and it might go away. It is annoying and DJI should be aware of it. It is almost certainly not a hardware fault (that will be corrected in the Phantom 3 anyway). If it can be fixed, it will likely and hopefully be fixed with firmware update.

Doing the full IMU calibration and also calibrating the gimbal does lessen the problem significantly. The Phantom 2 Vision+ would also sometimes do it. Except it was less visible because of the wonderful 720p video link to your iPad with the Lightbridge system and because the Phantom 3 uses a rectilinear lens (which is awesome) rather than the fisheye lens of the Phantom 2 Vision+ or GoPros.

It is an issue and a nuisance and hopefully DJI can improve upon it with a firmware update. It shouldn't hold you back though - as there likely will not be anything better in this generation of the quadcopters - and any possible fix will almost certainly be via Firmware-update.

I've done some correcting of a slightly tilted horizon in my photos and videos. It does not lose very much. Especially if you get the Phantom 3 Professional and do videos in 4K there is a lot of pixels to retain the quality of the image to a degree as I will say it is virtually not visually detectable that the video was rotated a 1 or 2 degrees.

If you decide to get one of these great machines (I have a Phantom 3 Pro (flown 38 flights so far - and hundreds of flights on my P2V+)) and you would like to buy from DJI directly (think they might have the quickest delivery time currently over Amazon etc.) I sure wouldn't mind if you'd use my DJI-publisher-link to buy it   That would give me an 8% credit to buy accessories etc. from DJI

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out
Phantom 3 from the DJI-store

2015-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules