2350 11 2018-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hello Friends,

Today, i was trying to capture some drone shots of an event. Unfortunately, i dont kno why, but the drone's gimbal was not responding properly. I mean whenever i tried to take  up-down shots or left-to-right pan shots, the gimbal was sort of unstable and looked like dangling. I have shared below the youtube link of the effected footage.
If you guys can have a quick look of this footage and can tell me why the gimbal was behaving in that wierd manner, that will be helpful.
FYI -> Compass,IMU, Gimbal & remote controller are caliberated just before this event. And drone is having latest firmware v400 and DJI go is also latest version.Dissappointed as all the shots got ruined, because of this problem.
Thanks.

2018-6-24
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

Germany

Did you get any high wind warnings? It looks pretty windy where you are. Are you in sport mode? It looks like you're accelerating and yawing fairly quickly. Have you tried cinematic mode? Decreased sensitivity of the sticks?
2018-6-24
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-6-24 11:54
Did you get any high wind warnings? It looks pretty windy where you are. Are you in sport mode? It looks like you're accelerating and yawing fairly quickly. Have you tried cinematic mode? Decreased sensitivity of the sticks?

Thanks for the quick response. Yes High wind warnings was there. Wind velocity was not that too much. One of my friend was flying DJI Phantom 4, he did not faced any problems with the wind. Could be because its more powerful than mavic air. But , i beleive DJI Mavic Air's strong USP is its rock solid movements and stable gimbal. If this much wind it cant handle at this altitude, then i cant say how it would have behaved in high altitudes. No, i never fly in Sports mode. I used D-Cinelike mode, is this what you were asking by cinematic mode? Never tried decreased sensitivity of sticks- i fly with default settings as of now.
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Looks like when you are flying into or with wind, the camera / gimbal are stable.  

When drone is going across the wind, the camera / gimbal are being blown in direction wind is going.  
2018-6-24
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-6-24 12:07
Thanks for the quick response. Yes High wind warnings was there. Wind velocity was not that too much. One of my friend was flying DJI Phantom 4, he did not faced any problems with the wind. Could be because its more powerful than mavic air. But , i beleive DJI Mavic Air's strong USP is its rock solid movements and stable gimbal. If this much wind it cant handle at this altitude, then i cant say how it would have behaved in high altitudes. No, i never fly in Sports mode. I used D-Cinelike mode, is this what you were asking by cinematic mode? Never tried decreased sensitivity of sticks- i fly with default settings as of now.

The air will pitch forward in a way that the gimbal can't keep up, which I don't think other DJI drones do. Also, check this out regarding cinemantic mode (your manual flight movements are too jerky - you need more practice in flying smoothly).

2018-6-24
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-6-24 12:29
The air will pitch forward in a way that the gimbal can't keep up, which I don't think other DJI drones do. Also, check this out regarding cinemantic mode (your manual flight movements are too jerky - you need more practice in flying smoothly).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1wm3bGgoU

Hi Danger Lampost, Thanks for responding. Yes you are right, i am a newbie and still learning. Need more practice. I saw your video but not sure whether cinematic mode is present in Mavic Air. Please guide me if it is present. Secondly, can anyone please let me know what all settings i need to do to get those perfect shots. Currently i am just following the below settings -> take the shots -> and color grade them in post editing.
COLOR- D-cinelike
Style- 0, -3, -2
Yaw movement limit -35 max
Gimbal pitch speed - 9
Extended Gimbal tilit limit - Yes
Gimbal pitch smoothness -19

Please let me know, if these settings are good to go or need to improve on these.

Thanks
2018-6-24
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-24 12:21
Looks like when you are flying into or with wind, the camera / gimbal are stable.  

When drone is going across the wind, the camera / gimbal are being blown in direction wind is going.

Somehow i am getting more and more nervous and loosing trust on this drone, after reading the forum posts and knowing more about its limitations. No offence, but i bought this drone thinking that it will be more like a point and shoot camera and will be full of smart intelligence to handle itself because i paid a hefty amount of 999$ expecting that iam paying for its smartness.

1) It cant handle normal windy situations (well this much wind will be definitely there in beaches or open areas) 2) flyaway issues 3)  autotracking and quick shot failures 4) you cant fly over trees, cant fly neat power lines or transformers, cant fly over water, cant fly on moving things , cant fly inside city, near buildings, cant fly around birds and many more limitations...Well we are living in cities and 21st century, we are all surrounded by all these environmental things...

If we go by manual then there is no place left, where we can fly this without any worries. All the points and places are covered in risks, warning and caution items. But in the advt they showcase it as the most advanced and worry-less drone which we can just take out of the backpack and fly without any concern..

Hope they make it much more better, stronger and smarter in their next updates.
PS: I am not ranting, but i am just sharing my concerns with you all friends as i am not rich enough to buy these expensive tech devices again, once i lose them.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-6-24 12:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1wm3bGgoU

Good vid to show the cause here.
2018-6-24
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Honestly to my eye, it looks more like your gimbal is twitching and rolling out of place. Most of these extreme rolls show no displacement of the craft/camera at all. Normally I would expect to see some movement/drifting of the craft as well when winds (or gusts) are the cause...

2018-6-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-25 00:18
Honestly to my eye, it looks more like your gimbal is twitching and rolling out of place. Most of these extreme rolls show no displacement of the craft/camera at all. Normally I would expect to see some movement/drifting of the craft as well when winds (or gusts) are the cause...

i agree with you...i felt the same when i watched it too... if high wind velocity is considered, then possibly the drone should also be affected by it and it should also drift little bit due to wind pressure.
But when somebody pointed out that wind is the actual culprit, i agreed because may be gimbal is super easy to get disturbed because its anyways very smooth and delicately placed.
Experts please throw some analysis here
2018-6-25
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-6-24 22:27
Hi Danger Lampost, Thanks for responding. Yes you are right, i am a newbie and still learning. Need more practice. I saw your video but not sure whether cinematic mode is present in Mavic Air. Please guide me if it is present. Secondly, can anyone please let me know what all settings i need to do to get those perfect shots. Currently i am just following the below settings -> take the shots -> and color grade them in post editing.
COLOR- D-cinelike
Style- 0, -3, -2

"I saw your video but not sure whether cinematic mode is present in Mavic Air. Please guide me if it is present."

2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2018-6-24 22:44
Somehow i am getting more and more nervous and loosing trust on this drone, after reading the forum posts and knowing more about its limitations. No offence, but i bought this drone thinking that it will be more like a point and shoot camera and will be full of smart intelligence to handle itself because i paid a hefty amount of 999$ expecting that iam paying for its smartness.

1) It cant handle normal windy situations (well this much wind will be definitely there in beaches or open areas) 2) flyaway issues 3)  autotracking and quick shot failures 4) you cant fly over trees, cant fly neat power lines or transformers, cant fly over water, cant fly on moving things , cant fly inside city, near buildings, cant fly around birds and many more limitations...Well we are living in cities and 21st century, we are all surrounded by all these environmental things...

1) It cant handle normal windy situations (well this much wind will be definitely there in beaches or open areas)

If pictures are any indication of a ''normal windy'' situation, then you are going to have problems.  Suggest you check wind speeds with handheld anemometer, and stay below half of what ever the ''normal windy'' situation was that day.  Being wind speeds at 75-feet up can be far higher than wind speeds measured close to ground.

2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules