Mavic Air Crash :(
1234Next >
6391 123 2018-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

My Mavic Air went a little haywire on saturday. It was a completely calm day and the drone shot sideways up to about 20 mph and crashed hard into a pile of concrete. This did some damage to the front right arm. I looked back at the flight logs and it seems that it sped up all on its own with out my input. It was not in sport mode and all obstacle avoidance systems were up. I'm going to submit a repair request but was curious if someone could tell me if it would be a warranty repair or not.
I have a trip coming up mid July and really wanted to bring my drone along with with me. Anyone have an estimate on how long it takes for issues to be resolved if approved?

2018-6-25
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Sorry to hear that.

If the drone went sideways, there are no sensors there to stop it, so Sport mode or not...it will collide with everything in it's path.
2018-6-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sorry to know that your DJI Mavic Air crashed. Please try to contact DJI repair so that you can send the drone in and our DJI repair team can start the assessment once they receive the Drone. I will be posting the online repair request link https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - hope you get it replaced soon.
2018-6-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to hear.
If you want, please share the flight log here.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-25 06:45
Sad to hear.
If you want, please share the flight log here.

I see in my app that the flight log as synced online but don't see it in the logs folder. Do you know the standard filepath?
2018-6-25
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Sorry to hear.  you can upload your flight log here.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-6-25
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 06:46
I see in my app that the flight log as synced online but don't see it in the logs folder. Do you know the standard filepath?

Depending on what device you have depends on where it will be.  The link I sent has instructions on how to retrieve and upload here.  
2018-6-25
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like another victim of .0400.  Hope you get quick resolution.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-25 06:50
Depending on what device you have depends on where it will be.  The link I sent has instructions on how to retrieve and upload here.

Even after refreshing my device, no log appears for 6-23. They do still appear in the DJI Go App.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-6-25 06:51
Sounds like another victim of .0400.  Hope you get quick resolution.

Is this a known issue?
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

Looks like my Flight distance is WAY OFF too.
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't speak for whether it will be covered under warranty.  It will depend on the flight logs and what they can prove.
I'm in the process of tracking a repair here, so you can follow if you would like...  I'm currently 7 days from the day i shipped it.

Hope you get it back in time for your trip!
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, there are a few threads about problems that users have had with the latest firmware update.  
I can't answer yes to your  question, because DJI hasn't officially acknowleged it, but  there are quite a few complaints about it.

But before you blame it on that continue on the path of trying to find your logs.  Hopefully we'll be able to figure out what happened.
2018-6-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

No, this is not a known issue. Just open your warranty case with DJI and send your aircraft for repair. They will analyse the blackbox data and if a malfunction can be identified it will fall under warranty.
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-25 07:37
No, this is not a known issue. Just open your warranty case with DJI and send your aircraft for repair. They will analyse the blackbox data and if a malfunction can be identified it will fall under warranty.

Flaky MA behavior with .0400 FW is a known.
Whether it is culprit in this case is an unknown.  
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 06:58
[view_image]

Even after refreshing my device, no log appears for 6-23. They do still appear in the DJI Go App.

Upload the FlightLog file for that incident (aka crash) from Smartdevice that was running GO-4 app.
Not as informative as FlightLog from MA, but far better than nothing.

Why there is no FlightLog on MA for incident is a big question.
There should also be BlackBox data on MA for incident.  However, only DJI (and NSA) can read it.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-25 06:49
Sorry to hear.  you can upload your flight log here.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4GDB09LWZR70ZY5NKOUF/

Flight log found.
2018-6-25
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 09:08
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4GDB09LWZR70ZY5NKOUF/

Flight log found.

Well the big issue here is you took off without GPS lock(at least 8 sats or more) and no home point updated.  When in ATTI mode is much harder to control as it does not know it's position.  
2018-6-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-25 09:16
Well the big issue here is you took off without GPS lock(at least 8 sats or more) and no home point updated.  When in ATTI mode is much harder to control as it does not know it's position.

Why am I not surprised? When reading the crash description this scenario came first to my mind because it is unfortunately quite frequent among new pilots.
Yet, to be really on the safe side even 8 satellites are not sufficient. The absolute minimum is 6 from either GPS or GLONASS. But since you don't know to which of them you are linked, you need a minimum of 11 satellites to be sure to have 6 of either system.
In summary this will not be a warranty case.
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-25 09:16

From log and crash, no doubt problem goes back to lack of enough Satellites for GPS.

Would be interesting to have a few screen-snaps of GO-4 at time to see what Pilot was shown and missed.
2018-6-25
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Stop spreading misinformation, yes this is a known issue with MA on 0400, even if DJI refuses to acknowledge it, the amount if people now coming forward with this issue confirms it.

Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400
In this case though it may have been lack of GPS locks, but even then, not having enough GPS should NEVER prompt the drone to suddenly take off and try to kill itself spontainiously!
2018-6-25
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

I agree  100% to Wachtberger. You should not take off until at least 12 sats are locked and without 100% sure, that the HP is fixed
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the assessment made by the other pilots here.   Based on the flight logs, this will not be covered under warranty.
However, if it is only the front right arm, it shouldn't be that expensive.

Check here.

Support says that repairs should normally take 7-10 days from the time they receive it.    Personally, I am in Day 2 of them having it in their possession and waiting for an update on the assessment.

Good luck to you.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

Duly noted on taking off without a HP locked in. Usually in such calm conditions I let it hover until it locks it in. That lesson is now learned as I am still fairly new to piloting. I was keeping the flight very low and close in this instance since I was trying to take a group photo at our block party. Its never flown that erratically even in ATTI mode. I'm still hoping it would be covered under warranty. The video of the controls during the flight is more telling as to how badly it went awry without any pilot input.
2018-6-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-25 10:27
Stop spreading misinformation, yes this is a known issue with MA on 0400, even if DJI refuses to acknowledge it, the amount if people now coming forward with this issue confirms it.

Sorry, but if anyone in this forum is spreading "misinformation" you are the record holder. Thus better inform yourself first.
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 11:32
Duly noted on taking off without a HP locked in. Usually in such calm conditions I let it hover until it locks it in. That lesson is now learned as I am still fairly new to piloting. I was keeping the flight very low and close in this instance since I was trying to take a group photo at our block party. Its never flown that erratically even in ATTI mode. I'm still hoping it would be covered under warranty. The video of the controls during the flight is more telling as to how badly it went awry without any pilot input.

Best of luck to you.  I hope you are able to get some relief, get your warranty work done, and get your bird back.

2018-6-25
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-25 12:11
Sorry, but if anyone in this forum is spreading "misinformation" you are the record holder. Thus better inform yourself first.

Sorry, but I've only collected all the complaints and issues and compiled them into one thread, a thread that you and your friend hallmark007 have littered with attacks against those who dare speak against your two opinions.

In this case yes, insufficient GPS locks may be the culprit, but as I stated, in no way should that prompt a drone to spontaneously want to kill itself! That is not misinformation, that is common sense observation.

And yes, there ARE problems with 0400, so stop trying to keep peddling the FUD there isn't.

It's gotten to the point from now on, every time you make claims to contrary, I will post links to ALL the posts that have evidence there are issues.
2018-6-25
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Duly noted on taking off without a HP locked in. Usually in such calm conditions I let it hover until it locks it in. That lesson is now learned as I am still fairly new to piloting. I was keeping the flight very low and close in this instance since I was trying to take a group photo at our block party. Its never flown that erratically even in ATTI mode. I'm still hoping it would be covered under warranty. The video of the controls during the flight is more telling as to how badly it went awry without any pilot input.

Hi @ j2thafree,

As other pilots here have stated, yes it is never a good idea to take off without a locked in HP and without sufficient locked-on GPS satellites.

However, as I've stated before, the implied logic by other pilots here that the behaviour you exhibited with your drone because of the GPS and HP situation is to be expected does not make any logical sense... A drone shouldn't just decide it wants to kill itself in these situations. This to me screams bad programming, or bug in the firmware, and from all the threads here and on other forums online, it's now well established the current 0400 FW is pretty buggy.

Fight for getting the drone replaced, since I still think FW bugs played a part in this, and keep your fingers crossed you'll get it repaired / replaced under warranty.

And yes, in the future, don't take off until those sats and HP are locked in tight

Best of luck to you mate!
2018-6-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

I wish you good luck as well but you need to understand that in ATTI mode the aircraft cannot control itself, it can even not brake. Thus the slightest movement it might have started with will continue until the pilot reverses it with full throttle into a safe direction. It is very understandable that in a narrow flying environment where this particular flight has taken place, there is almost no time for the pilot to react appropriately. But this case underlines once more how important all pre flight checks are, including sufficient satellites.
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-25 12:29
Hi @ j2thafree,

As other pilots here have stated, yes it is never a good idea to take off without a locked in HP and without sufficient locked-on GPS satellites.

It didn't take off spontaneously and try and kill itself. There was input from the control sticks that caused it to take off and move (detail can be seen in the CSV file). Being in ATTI mode there was no active braking, so even with sticks released it would still drift for a bit. It looks very unlikely that this had anything to do with firmware or Application error.
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I wish you well with your claim, DJI might cover it after examining your data.
2018-6-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

1st let me say very sorry for the damaged caused,Took a closer look at your Log, You may get some grief from DJI on this one as you probably should not have attempted takeoff.

1st pic is your flight summary, No Home Point, multiple compass errors

2nd pic (second chart) shows GPS satellites and reception virtually non existant and went into Atti mode quickly.

3rd pic show multiple areas of weak or no signal

4th pic shows input command from the RC, looks like you were trying very hard to regain control.

2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-25 14:26
1st let me say very sorry for the damaged caused,Took a closer look at your Log, You may get some grief from DJI on this one as you probably should not have attempted takeoff.

1st pic is your flight summary, No Home Point, multiple compass errors

Appears 1st Compass error came 13-seconds into flight?

Which has me asking - Whether the OP saw a Compass Error or Warning prior to takeoff??

2018-6-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji is worse than apple about admitting issues.. this makes it hard to figure out the real source of the issue on software or hardware difficult..   i do believe the mavic air has some fundamental flaw in it, either in firmware/software or in its hardware causing common issues.

yes you have a golden example mavic air, as does several others here, and that's awesome, i'm happy for you and others with golden examples.. similar story with my mavic pro, its effectively a golden example, barely any issues.. but just look around.. both platforms have their issues.  mavic pro has a NASTY history with some flaky models still in existence on shelves being purchased. mavic air has some flaw in it causing problems as well.

we see it all around us, some of us chosen to be blinded by our own good luck, some of us feel like we know better than others, etc.. but hard to ignore the number of negative threads that get created, on this honestly, tiny forum, not that many members here, most of us known each other on these forums for a good while..
2018-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are two ways you can look at this.

First way, you just have to start up your drone and off it flies and nothing can ever go wrong with it, and if it does it’s always somebody else’s fault.

Second way , this is a hobby you are given the tools to learn to fly in safe envoirments, to become better as a pilot, to take great photography, to learn how your aircraft works best for you, to get great enjoyment from learning to be really great at this hobby and get the most out of it.

Yes we all make mistakes, no one is perfect, but it’s what we learn from those mistakes is what makes us better pilots, put this down to experience and move on, hopefully dji will make you some decent offer and you can go back to flying soon , or repair cost won’t be to taxing.

There are some here who would have you believe that this is all dji’s fault, this is because they don’t can’t and probably never will either learn about these drones or simply will never learn to fly.
They spend all their time on this forum whinging and complaining , but never getting anything sorted, they are not here to help, but cause hysteria.

I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.
2018-6-25
Use props
j2thafree
lvl.1

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-25 14:29
Appears 1st Compass error came 13-seconds into flight?

Which has me asking - Whether the OP saw a Compass Error or Warning prior to takeoff??

There was no compass error prior to take off.
2018-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 15:52

I have left video below, it explains why you don’t always get a warning on the ground.

2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

j2thafree Posted at 2018-6-25 15:52

Thanks for information and reply.
Several more questions:  
What kind of surface/area did your drone takeoff from?
Was there any ferrous metal (aka steel) within 1-meter or 3-feet of takeoff point?
Any high voltage power lines near takeoff point?

2018-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-25 10:27
Stop spreading misinformation, yes this is a known issue with MA on 0400, even if DJI refuses to acknowledge it, the amount if people now coming forward with this issue confirms it.

Drone didn’t just take off , controller decided to take off, you need to go back and read your manual there are 3 flying modes on these drones, and anyone flying them should be aware of this, it’s no comfort to anyone , trying to tell them this is 0400 issue, it’s not 0400 or any other FW won’t help in this situation. And it’s very important that we help by giving the right advice for this situation.
If you feel you need to add to your list, I suggest you go back through every FW update for every dji drone since it’s incept, it wouldn’t be fair to leave any FW out.
2018-6-25
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules