Is there a DJI post about the proper props for the P3?
3042 26 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
club411
lvl.2
United States

I see a bunch of threads with allot of "might work / should work"

Did DJI post a link yet to the proper ones?

Thanks!
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Any particular reason not to use the ones supplied with the Phantom 3?

All I know is, the probs are different, the P3 ones grip a lot more - which might be needed because of the Active ESC Braking on the P3 which the P2 did not have.

Sadly I can't seem to find P3 props on the DJI store yet. So I guess it would be interesting to know what they would advice - if people are out of props...
-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
club411
lvl.2
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-18 01:48

All I know is, the probs are ...

Let's just say I had a small "landing issue"
2015-5-17
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

These are the P3 props (just a different color):
http://store.dji.com/tuned-propu ... e521e4ea5666c336367

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

club411 Posted at 2015-5-18 02:02
Let's just say I had a small "landing issue"

Ouch
Hopefully the props where the only things that got hurt.

I hand-catch / hand-land all the time rather than risking setting it on the ground. It gives me a lot more flexibility being able to "land" everywhere. Check out YouTube to see how people are doing it. It takes practice and naturally care should be taken when going so close to the spinning props. Train it when the wind is calm and you're not stressed for time (plenty of battery power left)

Yeah, I can see that there are probs that fit the P3 propulsion system for sale in the DJI-Store. It is strange that they don't write explicitly that they work with the Phantom 3. But it sure looks like they do (they have the composite hub, unlike the P2 props that have metal hub).

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out
Direct link to DJI-Store for propellers

2015-5-17
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

I wonder if you can tell me how you finally ended up calibrating the remote.
(I'm having same issues you had).
And any experience with throttle trim calibration?
2015-5-22
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-18 01:48

All I know is, the probs are ...

I ordered two batteries and two sets of props from the DJI Store. They took my PayPal payment three days ago, but there's as yet no evidence of shipping.

It *looks* like they're selling props that are fine for the P3, which is what I'm hoping I actually ordered. Many are offering the advice that the P2 props have metal hubs and the P3 props have plastic hubs. There are also cautions about not using P2 props on the P3.

I asked, and never got a satisfactory answer - how does one truly, truly identify the metal hubs vs the plastic hubs?

To further complicate the issue, the DJU FAQ insinuates that you can use the P2 props on the P3, but you need to be sure you're tightening them with the wrench and not just by hand.

Color me still confused in Florida!
2015-5-22
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

There are already a couple of different threads about this question but it bears repeating: Do not use the P2 props on the P3.  
The simplest advise is to replace P3 props with P3 props (if they ever get around to making them available)   

Basically, the hubs in the Phantom 3 props are plastic whereas the hubs in the Phantom 2 series are metal.  Sure, any of the Phantom 2 series props will fit the threads Phantom 3.  However, the significant difference to be aware of is that the Phantom 3 uses active braking in the motors so using the included wrench to tighten the props is very important to prevent the actual possibility of the prop spinning off in flight.  The plastic hub just "grips" the threads better because the P3 hubs have a higher coefficient of friction than the P2 props.  They are engineered this way because the P3 escs have active braking.  

Again, the "official word from both DJI-Autumn and Tahoe_Ed":  Do NOT use the P2 props on the P3!
2015-5-22
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l can't think of any reason why not to do the reverse - use the $6 composite-hub P3 props on my P2.
I just ordered a bunch, thanks for the link FantomDK.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-22 23:39
l can't think of any reason why not to do the reverse - use the $6 composite-hub P3 props on my P2.

You are more than welcome, and thank you.

Regarding seeing the difference between composite (plastic) P3 props and P2 metal-hub probs, as far as I recall, you can just look up the hub - the P2 props have some metal in there and the P3 props does not (it is all white plastic or "composite").

I'm not sure I would want to take a risk with my P3 and use P2 props.

BUT, you *could* turn down how much the "Active Braking" is working on the P3, so I would imagine that the problem with using P2 props would not be a huge issue. They are the same 9450-props - except for the hub (why would they not change the name, I don't know ). And you could put them on very firmly. But again - personally I don't think I'd risk it. But the risk is likely small if you do these two things.

In fact I have turned down the "Active Braking" because I felt it gave a bit too "dynamic" flight-mode. With less Active Braking I felt it became more smooth, which suits me for videography. I won't say that I've found the perfect settings yet though.

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
wanccie
lvl.2

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-23 04:55
You are more than welcome, and thank you.

Regarding seeing the difference between composite (plas ...

How do you turn down the "Active Braking"?  Just curious...

Thanks,
lp
2015-5-22
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

You cant. You can adjust the braking which controls how quick the P3 comes to a stop if you quickly center the sticks. Active braking is totally different. It is always on. It helps the P3 adjust to wind gusts etc. Basically instead of freewheeling the props it can brake them actively when the throttle decreases. Makes it much quicker to react to gusts and stuff.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

wanccie Posted at 2015-5-23 05:02
How do you turn down the "Active Braking"?  Just curious...

Thanks,

It might be correct that it can't be turned off. But from my experience it can be "a lot less active", if that makes sense?

In MC Settings (The top menu with the quad-icon)-> Gain & Expo Tuning -> Scroll down
-> Sensitivity -> Brake

I can't see right now what I lowered it to (would need to turn on my Phantom3Pro), but lower than standard.

Setting the "Brake" to a lower setting changed how the P3 behaves. It is quite clear if you just try to descend quckly - and you will notice how it lowers the speed of the props very quicky (much quicker than on the Phantom 2). You can hear the speed of the props slow down a lot quicker than just free-wheeling the props. So it is more responsive (but in a way also less smooth). Descending quickly is the most clear example I know of the Active Braking (or ESC braking) where it uses power to brake the props. I imagine going UP full speed, and then trying to go DOWN full speed would be the ultimate show of Active Braking - and toughest test (I can think if) regarding if the props fly off or not

I also believe CascadeFlyer is absolutely correct that the Active Braking or ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) Braking is used when the Phantom 3 reacts to wind to do tiny corrections even faster. However, I think what I sketched out above is what would put the maximum strain on the self-tightening props since thats where I believe it will put the most counter-movement on the props for the longest time. So make sure they are put on tightly (but no need to overdo it - in fact I've yet to hear anyone report a problem of a prop spinning off a Phantom 3).

There is also a setting there called "Attitude" - that I believe is how aggressive it tilts to stop? I've not yet experimented enough with that one.

Those settings are much about personal preference - about how it feels. So when you're confident with the machine - and there isn't too much wind - I'd spend some time trying them out to get a feel for what they do. I know I'm gonna do more of that when I get the time.
-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Mike,

You can also buy them in the RIGHT COLOR HERE:  http://store.dji.com/product/self-tightening-propellers

The 9450 with plastic hubs is what ships on the P3.

9450 = 9.4 inch with #5 pitch.

The 9450 props with aluminum hubs are NOT recommended on the P3 because the active braking can cause the aluminum hubs to spinn off in flight.  The plastic hubs maitain enough friction to prevent spinn off.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-23 07:40
Mike,

You can also buy them in the RIGHT COLOR HERE:  http://store.dji.com/product/self-tightening ...

But those DJI 9450 Self-Tightening Propellers in the right color are listed to be compatible with:

• Compatible with the Phantom 1, Phantom FC40, Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision+
No mention of the Phantom 3

-
Buy your DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-23 07:50
But those DJI 9450 Self-Tightening Propellers in the right color are listed to be compatible with: ...

l think he meant these:
http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-9450-propellers

lt's easy to go by price, if they're $15-ish they'll have the metal hubs. The less expensive $6-ish are compatible with the P3 (and P2).
2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The props listed in the following links are identical:

http://store.dji.com/product/self-tightening-propellers

I have ordered them both.  I have confirmed for my self.  They are identical.  Different web pages for different users.  Identical item.
2015-5-22
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-23 08:18
The props listed in the following links are identical:

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-9450- ...

They may look identical in the picture and they may sound identical in the description, but they are not. l know because l have both. They are the same dimension and design, both 9450s, but the $15 ones l buy for my P2 have a metal hub and should not be used for a P3. The $6 have the plastic hub meant for use with the P3.
I agree that this should be highlighted in the product description because the 2 products sound alike. Only the list of compatible drones differentiates them in the listing.
2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-23 08:30
They may look identical in the picture and they may sound identical in the description, but they a ...

Nope.  I ordered them both.  Both have plastic hubs.

DJI has standardized on plastic hubs for all new prop shipments.
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-25 00:54
Nope.  I ordered them both.  Both have plastic hubs.

DJI has standardized on plastic hubs for all ...

Then you were ripped off on the $15 ones, you're paying for the metal hub.
My $15 ones came with metal hubs for my P2 and the $6 P3 ones have plastic.
If l were you l'd send them back or ask for a $9 refund.
2015-5-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-18 02:21
These are the P3 props (just a different color):
http://store.dji.com/tuned-propulsion-system/e310?c ...

You don't need to buy the wrong color.

DJI has the correct Phantom 3 Props in the right color too:
2015-5-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-25 00:57
My $15 ones came with m ...

I own a P2.  I also own a P3.  I know the difference between the metal hubbed props and the plastic hubbed props.
I ordered the props from the link I provided showing plastic hubbed 9450 as listed for P2.   They arrived with plastic hubs.  BOTH sets I ordered have plastic hubs just like the picture shows the plastic hubs.  I ordered the P3 props.  I oprdered the P2 props.  Both were delivered to me with PLASTIC hubs that screw on tightly on the P3 and P2 alike.

As I said.  The plastic hubbed props shown in the link I have provided which say they fit Phantom 2... are the same plastic hubbed props they shipped me as P3.

As I said... I believe DJI has decided to ship plastic hubs as standard for ALL P2's and P3's

2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-25 01:18
I own a P2.  I also own a P3.  I know the difference between the metal hubbed props and the plastic ...

l believe you
What l'm saying is, if they charged you $15 for the P2 props and sent you the exact same product as the $6 P3 props, they owe you money. And they should stop advertising P2s at $15 a shot if they are now identical to the others.
2015-5-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-25 01:27
l believe you
What l'm saying is, if they charged you $15 for the P2 props and sent you the exa ...

Ah...  I misunderstood.

I agree.  They are over charging on the P2 page.
2015-5-24
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-25 00:57
My $15 ones came with m ...

Ironically, I bet the P3 props would work just fine with the P2, (although not the reverse).  

So yeah, why would anyone buy metal hub props anymore?

DISCLAIMER: This is only a guess but it makes sense.  All I know is the threads and pitch are the same, but the P3 props are designed to grip a bit more because the hubs are soft plastic.  So I see no reason they couldn't work on a P2.
2015-5-24
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm wondering why DJI are charging more for the P3 prop than the 9450 composite from the e310 kit when they have confirmed its the same prop,

does white rose more ?
2015-5-24
Use props
hqcariello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6095121 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://store.dji.com/search?q=9450
2015-5-30
Use props
Advanced