Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Copter Catcher - how to catch a Mavic in a small boat
1964 19 2018-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3740 ft
Germany

I like so sail in my small boat and shoot selfies with my Mavic Pro, The problem is: how to get the Mavic Pro back into the boat.
So I built a device which makes it easy to catch a quadrocopter safely out of the air.

Fänger1.jpg

you can watch a video about my solution. Sorry, the text is in German, but Youtube is able to create subtitles with a translation.

2018-6-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that is ingenious.
But I must say I would never do that with my Mavic.
I prefer hand catching it.
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Clever idea - thanks for sharing   
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-25 22:19
Wow, that is ingenious.

Being it is in German, I can not tell why hand catching was rejected.
Perhaps Mavic Pro being semi slippery, thus hard to grab and hold onto?
If that were case, Velcro on sides of Mavic used with Velcro glove.  Which would also protect fingers.
2018-6-25
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

I was hoping that the boat will be moving at speed. But a good idea especially the rope deployment.
2018-6-25
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-25 22:19
Wow, that is ingenious.

I tried hand catching, it is really dangerous in a small rocking boat. Once I gave my Mavic a push, it fell down - luckily on the back seat and not into the water, but it  was narrow.
2018-6-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-25 22:43
Being it is in German, I can not tell why hand catching was rejected.
Perhaps Mavic Pro being semi slippery, thus hard to grab and hold onto?
If that were case, Velcro on sides of Mavic used with Velcro glove.  Which would also protect fingers.

It fell once, luckily in the boat.
2018-6-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Paul Lenz Posted at 2018-6-25 22:45
I tried hand catching, it is really dangerous in a small rocking boat. Once I gave my Mavic a push, it fell down - luckily on the back seat and not into the water, but it  was narrow.

Yes, I can imagine.
It is danger from a static surface already.
I just don't like to add things to my Mavic
2018-6-25
Use props
Vidjcb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13416847 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing it. Very clever and ingeiuos!
2018-6-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

wow nice one! thanks for sharing
2018-6-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  Reaching up with one hand and using finger and thumb to grab it works well enough.
2018-6-29
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Wow, very sophisticated, thank you for sharing! Must have been great fun to build this system.
2018-6-29
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very good idea.  Thanks for sharing.
2018-6-29
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-29 08:10
Wow, very sophisticated, thank you for sharing! Must have been great fun to build this system.

Not always. I bought a cheap remote controlled power outlet and used its receiver for my device, it worked very well, but when I switched my Mavic on, it did not work anymore, that was rather frustrating...
2018-6-29
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-29 07:03
Looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  Reaching up with one hand and using finger and thumb to grab it works well enough.

Yes, if you are lucky. If you sit in a rocking boat, it is very hard to grab, as I explained already.
2018-6-29
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-25 23:28
Yes, I can imagine.
It is danger from a static surface already.
I just don't like to add things to my Mavic

I don't see any problems to add some small things to my Mavic. It could carry much more than my device.
2018-6-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Paul Lenz Posted at 2018-6-29 08:44
I don't see any problems to add some small things to my Mavic. It could carry much more than my device.

My problem (maybe I am too careful) is that it will change the balance of the drone and therefor put more strain on the engines and the arms trying to work that.
So yes, it can manage, but I would not do that because of that.
2018-6-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Paul Lenz Posted at 2018-6-29 08:42
Yes, if you are lucky. If you sit in a rocking boat, it is very hard to grab, as I explained already.

Rubbish.  Hover it, reach up underneath, use the arms to smooth out and bounces.  Works every time and far easier.

No issue in 3m swells and cross winds yet in 150 or so recoveries using that method.  Any rougher than that im not flying it anyway.
2018-6-29
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-29 16:38
Rubbish.  Hover it, reach up underneath, use the arms to smooth out and bounces.  Works every time and far easier.

No issue in 3m swells and cross winds yet in 150 or so recoveries using that method.  Any rougher than that im not flying it anyway.

One day in summer 2019, I started from my boat and took some videos. Then I discovered a small pier, sailed there and decided to land there. But suddenly there was a low battery warning and my Mavic tried to return to the starting point. Stupid idea because there was only water. I tried to get it down on the pier but it stopped 2 meter above the pier and refused to follow my commands. I was only able to prevent it from returning to the starting point. So I used the remote control for my Copter Catcher, the thin rope came down, I grabbed it and forced my Mavic to come down.
I have no idea why it refused to land and I suppose, without my Copter Catcher it would be lost.
2022-3-5
Use props
R.Spencer
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for sharing
2022-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules