"Battery Damaged" please help!
15571 18 2018-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 143730 ft
United Kingdom

I've made less than 10 flights with my P4, the last flight being more than 3 months ago. Turn the thing on today and I'm getting "Battery Damaged" on the live view and battery cell is broken (twice) on the Overall status screen.

I've updated the firmware to the latest as of 10 minutes ago with the error repeating

Any suggestions?

as of right now my battery is showing these numbers:

4.12V 4.19V 4.03V 4.11V - 16.44V - 41c   85%
2018-6-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience you're having right now. Can you try to discharge the battery then charge it again? You will have an option to discharge the battery on the app. That's under battery settings.

2018-6-27
Use props
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I selected 1 day and have powered the drone off with the battery still attached, is this correct?
2018-6-27
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Take it out for a flight and just let it hover close to you.  Drain the battery to around 30% and put on charger. If the cell error still shows, send it back.
2018-6-27
Use props
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

It refused to even take off and it's out of warranty according to DJI live chat support
2018-6-27
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, 6 months for a battery.....

The normal procedure is to fly the drone at a hover and let it come down at  on its own 10%, then let it it with the power still on and wait until it shuts itself down, then do a full charge, thats called a deep charge

If its powered on with the motors running (remove props) but wont take off, just leave it to sit there  until drone turns off, then recharge once cool
2018-6-27
Use props
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The issue seems to have vanished after dropping below 70% strangely enough. But until the warning went away I couldn't even spin the motors up, it outright refused to.

Now I've managed to get it down to 8% by having the motors ideal (giving it breaks every so often so it didn't overheat, it's hot here) and now I'm letting it cool down before I recharge.

If the problem persists after recharge then I have to go through the process of having it examined so I can take it back for a replacement, Have been told I need to prove I didn't break it before they will replace it.
2018-6-28
Use props
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

UPDATE: After draining to 8%, allowing the battery to cool down and then recharging to 100% it's bricked again.
2018-6-28
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

DavidCarne4 Posted at 2018-6-28 16:44
UPDATE: After draining to 8%, allowing the battery to cool down and then recharging to 100% it's bricked again.

Repeat the process a few times before giving up, it may need a few charges to balance out - watch the figures for each attempt, if they are getting closer than there is hope.
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DavidCarne4 Posted at 2018-6-28 16:44

The manual tell to discharge to less than 8% or till it can no longer power on, i would aim for 0%.

Best luck
2018-6-29
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-29 00:19
The manual tell to discharge to less than 8% or till it can no longer power on, i would aim for 0%.

Best luck

If you take it near 0, charge it up again ASAP, it is not good for it to stay that low for any length of time.
2018-6-29
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-29 01:06
If you take it near 0, charge it up again ASAP, it is not good for it to stay that low for any length of time.

0% is a virtual size, it is the voltages that counts after all. I always have my batteries cool at least an hour before recharge, standing on the long side with the went holes up/down creating a natural air flow through it.
As far i know it is not even possible to recharge before it has cooled down due to the temperature sensor inside, of course it should not be put in a drawer without charge but i am sure OP did not think of doing this.

Thanks for the warning anyway, not all would know.
2018-6-29
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-29 01:18
0% is a virtual size, it is the voltages that counts after all. I always have my batteries cool at least an hour before recharge, standing on the long side with the went holes up/down creating a natural air flow through it.
As far i know it is not even possible to recharge before it has cooled down due to the temperature sensor inside, of course it should not be put in a drawer without charge but i am sure OP did not think of doing this.

I guess when it reaches minimum voltage the % figure will have been corrected to 0, just like when it reaches maximum it is corrected to 100%,  I assume that happens at 8%, hence the instructions to take it to <8% occasionally.

It should be OK to plug it into the charger straight away, it will only start charging when it is cool enough.  Normally it will be better to wait but staying at 0% is not good so might be best to just plug it in, it wont be hot at 0% anyway unless you were flying at 1600ft on a windy day when it reached critical landing voltage!

The warning was for people that might leave it discharging and then only get around to charging the next day, or maybe next weekend.
2018-6-29
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-29 02:42
I guess when it reaches minimum voltage the % figure will have been corrected to 0, just like when it reaches maximum it is corrected to 100%,  I assume that happens at 8%, hence the instructions to take it to

All i can tell is that when mine reached 0% i was the one turned it off and it could still power on (only tried off the aircraft), didn't do much research about it, just left it to cool and recharged it later.

Actually it was a coincidence it ended on 0%, i noticed the shaking at certain RPM's introduced with the later FW and was rigging up my tripod and DSLR to record it. When done i noticed it showed 0%, usually i take it down to 4-6% when i now and then do the discharge cycle.
2018-6-29
Use props
DavidCarne4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So after a few more attempts at draining and recharging I gave up in the end and due to time constraints had to store the drone away again. Got it out today with the same warnings and errors, did a few more drains and recharges with no luck. Question is, worth getting it repaired or just buying a new battery?
2019-2-19
Use props
BadZ28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15965 ft
United States

DavidCarne4 Posted at 2-19 14:48
So after a few more attempts at draining and recharging I gave up in the end and due to time constraints had to store the drone away again. Got it out today with the same warnings and errors, did a few more drains and recharges with no luck. Question is, worth getting it repaired or just buying a new battery?

Might as well get a new battery. I had the same issue with my mavic drone, only 4 flights on the battery that went bad, and of course DJI would do nothing. I can see if it's been many flights, but 4? And their battery warranty is bad. I understand it's a battery, but with these smart batteries and the way they can monitor them, it should have been replaced by DJI. So far all 3 of my P4 batteries have been good. (knock on wood)
2019-2-22
Use props
fans05ddb093
lvl.1

Pakistan

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 05:16
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience you're having right now. Can you try to discharge the battery then charge it again? You will have an option to discharge the battery on the app. That's under battery settings.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Batri softwer pl
2020-2-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Battery FW updates are done automatically when you do an AC FW update.  Good luck
2020-2-29
Use props
mattjuk47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38399 ft

United Kingdom

im currently having the same issue, I have exhausted all avenues and following a lypo fire a few years where I lost everything I am so anal about Lypo storage/charging/discharging, in the end I looked at few camera shops that hardly used batteries, I got one half the price of new and its only had 4 flights.
2020-2-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules