Which device for FPV?
2015 15 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

In anticipation for my P3P I've been trying to decide what device to use/buy. I think my iPhone 5 is going to be way too small and others have stated that it's battery life is terrible. Scouring all the choices for "smart tablets" on the web has officially given me a headache as I'm an Apple nerd! I'm going to need a few P3 batteries so to keep costs down I'm thinking about some of the other cheaper andriod/non-iOS tablets out there. After this latest P3P expense I really don't have the cash to drop $400 on an iPad mini for FPV. So hoping there's a good alternative since FPV for my P3 is all I would use it for. So I guess I need a decent size screen and something that can access the web.

What device to you use?
How well does it work? (Visability outdoor, Battery life, screen lag, etc.)
How much did you pay?
Which devices have you tried that you'd warn against and why? (I've heard iOS is still a little shaky with the pilot app and the P3)

Thanks in advance for your input.
2015-5-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Thus far I'm happy with my Galaxy S5. Not very big, but works like a champ. Might buy something bigger on down the road.

Find something that works - look at the DJI FAQ for the supported devices. Find a used/refurbed one on eBAY (or maybe even Amazon) for a lot less than a new one. For example, I saw a Nexus tablet the other day. A brand new one with a 9" (diagonal, of course) screen was like $299. A refurbed 7" version was $100 less than that. Also, I wouldn't think you would need something with zillions of gigs of memory.
2015-5-18
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

I used my Samsung s5 mini, I also tryed my 10" tablet (amazing but can't handle it).
I think 5" is enough but 7" would be better.
2015-5-18
Use props
richardpwills
lvl.1

Thailand

I use an iPhone 5s. Not only is the screen small, it's battery is terrible and overheats after 5 minutes.
2015-5-18
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-18 19:13
Thus far I'm happy with my Galaxy S5. Not very big, but works like a champ. Might buy something bigg ...

"need something with zillions of gigs of memory."

Uhhhh. Is there something I'm clueless about with the P3P. Why would I need "something with zillions of gigs of memory?"
2015-5-18
Use props
eThug
lvl.1

United States

OnePlus One

https://oneplus.net/ Best phone I've ever owned, if you want a phone and not a tablet. Otherwise get an iPad mini or something. I've tried the iPad Air and I find it too big.
2015-5-18
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-5-19 10:52
"need something with zillions of gigs of memory."

Uhhhh. Is there something I'm clueless about wi ...

Somewhere someone dropped part of the quote. I wrote that you DO NOT need zillions of gigs of memory to run the Pilot app. Therefore you need not buy a tablet/device with 64G memory - a cheaper tablet with "bare minimum" memory will probably work just fine.
2015-5-19
Use props
jodi2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42280 ft
Germany

Using Galaxy Note 4 Smartphone which worked great so far for the first 10 flights and very stable
2015-5-19
Use props
jeremy.snyder
lvl.1

Canada

eThug Posted at 2015-5-19 11:57
OnePlus One

https://oneplus.net/ Best phone I've ever owned, if you want a phone and not a tablet.  ...

One plus FTW, love mine
2015-5-21
Use props
worldcrafter
lvl.1
United States

I'm using my iPhone 6 but I feel its screen is a little too small.  Kinda hard to click on things in the phantom pilot app.
2015-5-21
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Really appreciate all the responses. I'm leaning toward the Google Nexus 7, 2nd edition. It's in the DJI list of compatible devices, much cheaper than an iPad mini (bout $160 online) and the Android OS is a couple decimal values above what's required for the Pilot app. Just hope the app doesn't keep upgrading past what's required on the Android OS side since this tablet is discontinued.
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-5-22 07:00
Really appreciate all the responses. I'm leaning toward the Google Nexus 7, 2nd edition. It's in the ...

I use a iPad mini 2.  It is fine for my needs.  The nvidia shield is a close second in terms of user response.  What you do is up to you.
2015-5-21
Use props
wFABNaRWQEqO
lvl.1

China

I use iphone 5s.  It is fine for my needs.  But the same problem is the battery very bad,so I replace one new FPV battery,it is very difficult, I just share for you ,you may not need it .
2016-9-12
Use props
vtrx37
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4754 ft

I use the ipad mini 2 wifi +cell and it works good and the size is perfet for me. I bought it used and you can find them on them on ebay around 200.
2016-9-13
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 645804 ft
United States

Hey there fhagan02,

I'm an Apple fan too and I use an iPad Air.  But my recommendation to you is that no matter what device you end up going with, you should strongly consider getting a hood for that device.  The sun and glare will greatly inhibit your ability to see.  Take a look here: http://hoodmanusa.com/
If you can afford it, the Headplay goggles cannot be beat.  No glare, very immersive.  Makes for safer flying when you are not LOS.  Here's a link to a bunch of the best goggles out there:
http://www.dronethusiast.com/the-ultimate-fpv-system-guide/#FPV For DJI Phantom

Hope this helps,

DC
2016-9-13
Use props
jcap858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another option is the Avegant Glyph. A bit pricey at $699, I bought mine used for $400. FPV without losing LOS and full access to the DJI GO app via phone/tablet.
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules