Beginner - windy situation & mentenance
610 11 2018-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Synopsis
lvl.1
Romania

Hello,

I'm new to this forum/community and also newbie in drone domain, so probably my question it will sound funny for some people.
Yesterday I flew my drone in wind conditions,  the wind speed was between 9-10 m/s max (that's what my locally wheater station had reported) . I was able to get her up above 30m/sea level and then I descending just a little faster (in sport mode) because I freaked alot about the nearby birds, especially seagulls.
So my question is: Those moderate/high winds can affect the strenght/power of rotors or the normal operating mode of the drone? I was notice that during the flight that the drone kinda drifts just a little away, wich I think is normal due it's size & weight.

Second question: How do you keep it clean/dust-free?  It's oke to use the same compress air for cleaning the laptops/pc? I use a combination of compress air overall all the drone/rotors from a minimum distance of 50cm and for the gimbal I use blow-off pump air (that rocket thing that you normally use for cleaning DSLR's/Cameras), i'm doing right or I might damage the drone?

Sorry if I put stupid questions but I'm anxious when it comes with mentenance new stuff.

Best regards !
2018-6-27
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

In 20 mph winds you will experience a little drift- Thats normal- Keep in mind on the ground can be 20Mph winds but 300 feet up you might have 30 mph winds be aware of wind speeds especially comming home- If you are flying into a strong head wind put it in sport mode to get home.
2018-6-27
Use props
Synopsis
lvl.1
Romania

JERRY K Posted at 2018-6-27 14:43
In 20 mph winds you will experience a little drift- Thats normal- Keep in mind on the ground can be 20Mph winds but 300 feet up you might have 30 mph winds be aware of wind speeds especially comming home- If you are flying into a strong head wind put it in sport mode to get home.

thanks for your reply !
2018-6-27
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, as jerry said, you'll need to keep in mind that wind speed is generally higher as your altitude increases.  If it is possible, I would try to fly out into the wind, so that your flight back is with the wind.  That will help you a lot on your return trip.

Also, Yes.  the same materials you use to clean your computer are fine for cleaning your Mavic.  I actually use clorox wipes to clean all of the surfaces, except for the camera lens.  I use lens cleaner and a soft cloth for the lens.  and i use compressed air to blow out the vents.

Welcome to forum.  
2018-6-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Camera lens cleaner (Bulb Puffer) should not hurt camera or gimbal.  Both have to take wind speeds of up 68.4 km/h when Mavic Air is flying in Sports mode.
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

I use UAV Forecast app and my settings show the winds at 70m, not the ones on the ground. As it's been already said, you usually have stronger winds the higher you go, so it's good to know how are things up there (because you already feel if there's wind on the ground xD)
2018-6-27
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

You can use sort of an air blower which you can purchase by paying 5 bucks or something. When it comes to wind, mavic air is fairly stable even in extremely windy conditions. Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to keep your bird in sight.
2018-6-28
Use props
Synopsis
lvl.1
Romania

Thanks a lot for all of the feedbacks & support !
Cheers !
2018-6-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also note that wind speeds can increase quite quickly and change direction in a split second. You just need to be careful during the entire flight and never take current direction and speeds as read - they can and do often change during a 15-20 minute flight.
2018-6-28
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Using the same compressed air used on a computer should work well.
After I clean the motors I always store the MP with Motor protectors.
2018-6-28
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

For winds aloft, I use UAV Forecast.
2018-6-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wind above 10 M/S will always be your enemy if you don’t keep your drone in VLOS , yes you can manage pretty strong winds with Mavic Air it has a top speed of 42mph, but problems with wind are usually caused when out of VLOS , if you lose signal or enter RTH you must remember your flight speed is much reduced, andif flying in to strong winds, you are likely to lose your drone.
2018-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules