Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware 1.9.2 update killed my drone
3520 33 2018-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

So I have been flying my Phantom 3 for a couple of years or so, quite happy, then I got a new mobile phone. I had to reset the wifi on the drone as I had forgotten what I had changed the wifi password to.
After doing this, I connected to the drone, then receievd a message that I had to update the firmware. I did this and that's where everything seems to have gone wrong!

Afterwards, it would not connect to the wifi at all properly and would just hang saying "obtaining IP address" I finally managed to get round this and now once it is connected, the camera feed is laggy and the drone will not fly further than about 30 meters before it diconnects and goes into RTH mode!

Can anyone else confirm if they have had this issue and how ot get round it?

2018-6-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience you're having. May I know what model of the new mobile phone did you use? Is there any error message showing on the app while that incident happened?
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If you're lucky all you need to do is also update your controller if not done already.
2018-6-28
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

have you the newest dji go installed??
2018-6-28
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

normal i use the litchi app and only sometimes dji go i use a cheap huawei y5 mobile and have newer any problems
2018-6-28
Use props
smirnoff9969
lvl.4
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

is there any way to go back on older FW (like some tech gagets allow)???  just to be shure it`s the latest FW that make problems!
2018-6-28
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-28 01:40
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience you're having. May I know what model of the new mobile phone did you use? Is there any error message showing on the app while that incident happened?

I changed to the LG V30+ which I don;t think is hte reason behind it as I have tried with several different model phones from Samsung to Oppo and they all have the same issue.
2018-6-28
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

Rene Jensen Posted at 2018-6-28 12:48
normal i use the litchi app and only sometimes dji go i use a cheap huawei y5 mobile and have newer any problems

I also have litchi but it does the same thing. As soon as the drone is over 30m away it goes into RTH and also the actual video feed is so jittery even when close it's just not usable
2018-6-28
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-28 05:00
If you're lucky all you need to do is also update your controller if not done already.

I assumed that doing the update via the GO app would update all required parts - drone & controller at the same time ?
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

OrchidPalmHomes Posted at 2018-6-28 18:17
I assumed that doing the update via the GO app would update all required parts - drone & controller at the same time ?

I really can't tell, i am not familiar with the P3 series but one thing have i learned, that is to not assume anything here.
The symptoms you described sounds like what we have seen on the P4P's if AC and RC levels don't match up, that was made me ask.

If you post your current versions i am sure someone more familiar with the P3's will raise a concern in case something look wrong.

Best Luck
2018-6-28
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-28 20:35
I really can't tell, i am not familiar with the P3 series but one thing have i learned, that is to not assume anything here.
The symptoms you described sounds like what we have seen on the P4P's if AC and RC levels don't match up, that was made me ask.

KenDK's response seems logical to me since the any of the firmware upgrades done via the app constitute a three-in-one process which applies to the RC, AC and battery. That way you can count on all three elements to be operationally compatible. I've never known DJI to explain in depth any more than basic instructions on their upgrade process aside from the fact that additional batteries will automatically upgrade at any time as long as the original SD card remains in the camera and has not had any files deleted.
I don't usually advise on this subject because the protocol on downgrading firmware has seemingly changed but the OP can try this tip:  
Re-install the most recent version of app and see if there's a notification about a newer firmware version being available. If this does not work then downgrade the AC one step to FW version 1.8.1 via the SD card with only the RC and AC powered on. I have reason to believe the next time the app links to the RC it will detect the downgrade and then suggest upgrading to the latest firmware.  Follow all prompts and do not interfere with the process.

I've never had any problem with the 1.9.2 firmware but always managed to find issue with the latest versions of the app so I stay with the 3.1.11 version to retain compatibility with my older display devices.      
2018-6-29
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Betamace Posted at 2018-6-29 00:17
KenDK's response seems logical to me since the any of the firmware upgrades done via the app constitute a three-in-one process which applies to the RC, AC and battery. That way you can count on all three elements to be operationally compatible. I've never known DJI to explain in depth any more than basic instructions on their upgrade process aside from the fact that additional batteries will automatically upgrade at any time as long as the original SD card remains in the camera and has not had any files deleted.
I don't usually advise on this subject because the protocol on downgrading firmware has seemingly changed but the OP can try this tip:  
Re-install the most recent version of app and see if there's a notification about a newer firmware version being available. If this does not work then downgrade the AC one step to FW version 1.8.1 via the SD card with only the RC and AC powered on. I have reason to believe the next time the app links to the RC it will detect the downgrade and then suggest upgrading to the latest firmware.  Follow all prompts and do not interfere with the process.

If you know the P3 series and how to get/handle the old App version, you might could help out in this thread too.
With a little luck he still have the old firmwares and just need and old version of the app installed.
2018-6-29
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

If you want to do via older version of the Go app then try it over apkpure.com here is the link for 7 or 8 version of the Go App.
2018-6-29
Use props
pumping concrete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190210 ft

Go into setting and turn off beginner mode. Simple
2018-6-30
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

pumping concrete Posted at 2018-6-30 09:34
Go into setting and turn off beginner mode. Simple

That does not explain all of the issues he said he has. Beginner mode will not let you fly past a certain distance but it does not cause disconnects,  RTH,  or jittery video.
2018-6-30
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer

I´d to ask first for a log file of the firm ware upgrade and the current version of the Go app.
Did you log in to the DJI server after update the Go App yet?  
Did you charge all batteries of your P3S system before you upgrade the FW to 1.09.0200(all in one upgrade) ?
This FW file should upgrade all 3 components of the P3S -RC,AC and battery you had insert in to the AC..

2018-6-30
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

Thank you all for the replies. I will endeavour to try some of the suggestions here and see if it helps. Iwill try to find log files etc and post all relevant info here soon.
2018-7-1
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

Had problems connecting to the wifi on the device again, so had to reset the wifi one ore time. Now connected and the details in the app below: -

version 3.1.42 & the Drone is 1.9.2.0. Basic fly safe database 01.00.01.07

Not sure what else to look for.
2018-7-1
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

and it still won't go further than about 30 - 40 meters before the signal is lost and it enters RTH mode. SO tired of this now
2018-7-1
Use props
OrchidPalmHomes
lvl.1
Thailand

I tried to use an older version of the GO software - That's not the issue. Once again, can't connect to the wifi network of the drone, just sits in the 'Obtaining IP address' and won't connect. Whatever the update did, it's f*cked the wifi on the device and now it's totally unusable!!
2018-7-1
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

Are you logged in on the apps??you need to be logged in on the app to fly more thn 30 meters away
2018-7-2
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Rene Jensen Posted at 2018-7-2 04:46
Are you logged in on the apps??you need to be logged in on the app to fly more thn 30 meters away

But if that was the problem he would just not get further. When the experience is lost signal and RTH, something else is wrong just like the statement in #15.
2018-7-2
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Turkey

Looks like anything gone wrong during upgrade of firmeare ,maybe the process has been disturbed.
2018-7-5
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Turkey

What version of the Go app was used to upgrade the firmware ? Can you refresh firmware via SD card yet?
2018-7-5
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

OrchidPalmHomes Posted at 2018-7-1 19:29
Had problems connecting to the wifi on the device again, so had to reset the wifi one ore time. Now connected and the details in the app below: -

version 3.1.42 & the Drone is 1.9.2.0. Basic fly safe database 01.00.01.07

Did you notice the reply in #11?
It seem you have the latest version on the aircraft but we still don't know what version the controller is at. Being a older version it cold be the cause.
Forget all about beginner mode and login to the app, if that was the cause you would see a maximum distance reached message.
You might would try a older version of the app as mentioned in the end of #11.
2018-7-6
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Be sure when you do the firmware u[date , the controller is on as well as the ac during the process. Also, you dont have to update the firmware just because it tells you too. If it aint broke don't fix it. Many still use the original firmware that came with the P3. Your best bet is to try the firmware update again.
2018-7-7
Use props
Greg75
lvl.1

How to know the version of the RC ?
2018-7-14
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

Greg75 Posted at 2018-7-14 00:58
How to know the version of the RC ?

It's in the "About" section of the app:

2018-7-14
Use props
Greg75
lvl.1

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-14 01:18
It's in the "About" section of the app:

[view_image]

Hi Eric13.

I thought I was dumb lol but mine doesn't show me that :

APP: 3.1.42
Version 1.9.20
Basic Fly SD : 01.00.01.07
Flight C SN : 03Z1141219
2018-7-14
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Greg75 Posted at 2018-7-14 01:30
Hi Eric13.

I thought I was dumb lol but mine doesn't show me that :

That screenshot I took 2 months ago and I haven't used/updated my P3S since.
It was meant only for reference as to where to find the versions.
2018-7-14
Use props
Greg75
lvl.1

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-14 01:32
That screenshot I took 2 months ago and I haven't used/updated my P3S since.
It was meant only for reference as to where to find the versions.

Yeah, but seems DJI deleted it from About.......

Any option to know it then ?
2018-7-14
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Greg75 Posted at 2018-7-14 01:38
Yeah, but seems DJI deleted it from About.......

Sorry - don't know.
Could it be that your RC is not connected to the drone and that's why?
I would try by having everything on and connected. Can't remember if that was the case when I took the screenshot.
2018-7-14
Use props
perezcastanet
lvl.1

Did you solve the problem ?
Thanks
2018-7-19
Use props
perezcastanet
lvl.1

Did you solve the problem?
2018-7-19