Mirrors and LED's
960 8 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Boro
lvl.1

United States

I have noticed on bright sunny days it's difficult to see the LED's during power-up. I have seen many posts showing the use of mirrors on a "launch platform". I was thinking of trying reflective tape on the upper third of the stock landing gear for my Phantom 2. Has anyone tried this and can you comment on the success of using the reflective tape?
2015-5-17
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

That is a good idea.  Bigrigs use a combination square red and white reflective tape around the trailers to keep DOT off of their behinds.  A piece of the white part would blend in with the landing gear and the tape itself is very reflective.   Should work like a charm and look stock.  Never tried it on my bird but I have used it jugging for catfish.     After dropping 20 floating bouys into a large open cove at dusk it is very hard to keep up with them.  Used the white part of the tape.  Now I just sit in the middle of a large cove and shine a small flashlight.    Little bouys glow like an led.  I know that you are flying in the day time.  I do fully believe that the tape will reflect enough red or green to be able to help you out.  If you decide on the tape,please let us know how it works.  Thanx
2015-5-17
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I picked up a set of fisheye mirrors at the dollar store I just put one on the ground and I can see the LED's no problem.
2015-5-17
Use props
The Boro
lvl.1

United States

That's my point! I don't want to add an extra step to the process by placing mirrors on the ground. I'm hoping a reflective tape would help and save us from adding an extra step and from carrying around more items in our backpack.
2015-5-17
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

How about stepping away 3 meters or so behind the phantom then sit or kneel down, or squat like when you read a putt?
2015-5-17
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

I do use a mirror on sunny days, but I find that to be a bother at times.  The reflective tape sounds like  a good idea.   
2015-5-17
Use props
gasquetmike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1546834 ft
United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-5-18 13:55
I do use a mirror on sunny days, but I find that to be a bother at times.  The reflective tape sound ...

I though i was the only one who thought of a mirror! Works good for me!
2015-5-18
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

I've got cut and stick automobile replacement mirrors on the top of my case that doubles as a takeoff point.
2015-5-19
Use props
Claude Kopter
lvl.1

United States

Well, I tried the reflective tape and no luck. So I thought about using chrome/metallic tape on the legs but was concerned about possible interference with the antenna and compass. I tried placing some chrome tape on the sides of the battery and did see improvement. But not enough to be conclusive. The reflection was to distorted to confirm the status.

I am going to try and find some mirror tape. Since everyone says mirrors work great then there may be a possibility to mount some mirrors/tape in key locations.

If all else fails I guess I'll use some fisheye mirrors as needed.

Thanks for all the replies!
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules