Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Faulty Phantom 3 Pro Transmitter USB Port
14860 38 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

I think i'm the first people to get a faulty transmitter with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I just got this unit a week ago and it fly so much fine. The only complaint i'm having is the application often to get "Disconnect" Message , i read from manual and forum threads it said that the connection between my iPhone 6 and Phantom 3 Transmitter is having an issue. Well my first suspicion is the USB cable, but i already had replaced for 5 cables and somehow i still get a "Disconnect" message on the app. The R/C Control is normal while i got the disconnect message. Yes i did updated the firmware.

Yesterday i decided to borrow my colleague's Phantom 3 Pro to try is my device wrong or my transmitter is wrong. With the same device (iPhone 6) and the same cable, i Don't get any problem (stable connection,no disconnect) on my colleague's phantom and my device, so i conclude my phone or the app is not the problem.

And then i tried my Phantom 3 again with couple of devices, they are iPhone 5S, another iPhone 6 Plus , and Xiaomi MiPad (it's comparable with the nvidia shield). And all of those devices that plugged into my transmitter have the same "Disconnect" problem on the app.

And also i try to swap my friend's transmitter with mine, and yes my Phantom 3 connected with my friend's transmitter doesn't have any problem.

but in other hand while my Transmitter connected to my friend's Phantom 3, it produce the same problem. So i'm concluding my Phantom 3 Transmitter Have a bad USB Port.

If you're curious how does it look, i have a few videos :

Too Long Didn't Read : My Phantom 3 Transmiter Have a bad USB Port, I get a "Disconnect" Message Often on various devices ( 3 iPhones , and 1 Android tablet) and already replaced my USB cable. Offcourse i already updated the firmware. And yes, it produce the same problem if connected to other Phantom 3.

Unfortunately i have passed the 7 day return policy, but i still got the repair waranty. At this point i have contacted my local dealer (last night) but haven't got any reponse so far (well it's still in the morning). But If i don't get any response from my local dealer until tomorrow, i will contact DJI RMA to send it back by my self .

i will use this thread to review the DJI Reponse to faulty unit and hope it can be a reference to other guy that having the same problem as i do. and also DJI could review it to improve their business process. Hey i love DJI products and i want DJI to be better !
2015-5-17
Use props
eThug
lvl.1

United States

I had the exact same problem. For some reason switching the USB cable to the one that came with my phone fixed it. Some work and some don't, I think it might be because some of the cables wiggle around in the port. I have no idea why the disconnection problem would happen for a reason other than this because they are using a digital standard, but mine doesn't disconnect with certain cables and does with others. This also shouldn't be the case because it doesn't seem to wiggle enough to disconnnect, though the cable that came with my Phantom stuck out more than the one I am now using. It may not even be the cable, but it works with certain ones and I am accepting it.
My phone will show an icon (to indicate USB debugging is enabled). Sometimes the icon shows up and goes away. It will even sometimes show in the app that it's disconnected, but when I actually pull the cable out it will pop up with another message telling me I unplugged it. The issue was happening before and after updating the firmware.
2015-5-17
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

Well in my case, i've switch with couples of cable and few of it was new in box. and i still have the same problem. My transmitter also did disconnect while i'm not touching it. Well today i'm sending it back to my local dealer. let's see what does they up to
2015-5-18
Use props
pporter6054
lvl.1

United States

thank you for the information Ardianblur, this is very helpful
2015-5-19
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the information! Please keep us updated!
2015-5-31
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

You have probably done this already but in case you have not inspect the USB Port on the controller and ensure nothing (fluff etc..) has gotten in there preventing a clean connection. Long shot but hey !
2015-5-31
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

yes i have, i updated to the latest firmware (iOS app) seems there're a fewer disconnect now. Need some further testing.
2015-6-2
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Ardianblur Posted at 2015-6-3 08:06
yes i have, i updated to the latest firmware (iOS app) seems there're a fewer disconnect now. Need s ...

Ardian, you already sent it back? If you remember the serial number can you pls post it for me to report to the factory?
2015-6-3
Use props
michael
New
Austria

I have the exact same problem. I can fly a few minutes and then the connection to my iPhone gets lost but I still can control my phantom.
Unplugging and re plugging the cable does not work.
today I was far away over a lake and I had to switch the remote off and on to regain a connection between smartphone and remote.

And I also got some errors regarding the vision positioning system and the phantom could not hold the hight but that is a different story.

2015-6-26
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

Denmark

Hi Ardian,
I know this is an old post but in case you see this I'd love to hear more -  thing is, I am considering the Xiaomi mipad. I know it didn't work on your controller but did you get a chance to check it on your friend's controller?
2015-7-15
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

China

Flying Gecko Posted at 2015-7-16 13:24
Hi Ardian,
I know this is an old post but in case you see this I'd love to hear more -  thing is, I ...

Just wanted to get back to anyone who might have seen me inquire to Ardian about the Xiaomi.

In short, I got one and it works great. No real issues. Just remember to kill app after use and start it from fresh (not from background sleep).

(I wrote a tad more about my early endeavors with it here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=60962. Just don't want to hijack the thread anylonger;-))
2015-7-18
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

hi sorry i havent check this thread for a while, it's working great but not as fluid as iPad tough , but for me it's the best and inexpensive android tablet.
2015-8-5
Use props
PanshDrone
New

United States

Seems like I'm having the same issue with my USB port on my controller
2015-8-11
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

UPDATE

So i returned the Transmitter a week ago (lol i know it's too long, im busy lately), and they send me back a new transmitter the next week with DHL shipping. Wow, thanks DJI
2015-8-12
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Reading these comments and others, I have a theory...?

I have read the hundreds of posts here and elsewhere on the web, referring to  disconnects and "no signal" and USB problems.  I have NOT done a statistical analysis, but there seems to be a possibility that the cable from the controller to the device is NOT the problem, nor is it something to do with the firmware in many cases. Well, WHAT THEN?!

I think it is - at least occasionally - the actual physical connection at the controller USB location?  That is, either the MOUNTING bracket/molding inside the plastic OR the soldered connections are not what they should be. In my view, it is far more likely the molding not holding the USB receptacle rigidly enough to allow a reliable plug-in connection.  We know that the moldings or the plastic material choice or the injection process methods have allowed for certain problems at times with the products. This includes mention of cracks of course, and the mounting tabs of the control sticks...so why not the mount of the USB?

Now - PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME FOR STARTING SOME KIND OF WITCH HUNT OR NEWLY DISCOVERED ISSUE -  THIS IS ONLY A THEORY! In my own case, there have been no disconnect issues EVER, and examination of the USB port shows it is rock solid.

Can folks with disconnect issues check to see if their USB receptacle is at all "wiggly" or lose?  If not, that is great.
2015-8-16
Use props
p.prokopowski
lvl.2

Poland

I have the same problem after a few minutes of flight disconnects
2015-8-16
Use props
michaelangelo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1821913 ft
United States

Having the same problem here. Almost lost it tonight. Had to drive blocks to find it. RTH didn't function as it was supposed to either. Didn't happen prior to the DJI Go update from the pilot app. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
2015-8-16
Use props
zpalletta
lvl.1

Italy

Hi guys, I have the same issues with my Iphone 6, I tried to change different cables and the problem was not solved. Also the video transmission was not fluid.
Then I switched to my Samsung phone and now is working well
Maybe is an Iphone problem?

2015-8-16
Use props
contractorwolf
lvl.1
United States

I just got my DJI Phantom 3 Pro last week and have started noticing that sometimes when I go out to fly it it just says "disconnected" with no real explanation for what that means.  I have found that sometimes I can get it to reconnect if i power down and power up a few times, but nothing seems to be a definite solution.  My USB connector on the controller is a little sloppy (i.e. doesnt fit tightly) as well.  Is there an explanation for what the "disconnected" actually means?  Even when disconnected I can start and fly the Phantom 3, but I am just not getting any video feed or any data from the device, so I wouldnt take it further than my yard.

Does "disconnected" mean that the app and the controller are not making a connection or that the drone and the controller are not connecting?  I am guessing that the "disconnected" is more the problem of the app and controller not being able to communicate but I would like some detail from DJI on that.

I have also thought that getting the HDMI output board for the controller might have improved USB connections but would like to hear from someone who had done that replacement already.  I have the Samsung Galaxy S6, and usually only get the "disconnected" on startup, but the couple of times I had it happen I was able to get passed it by killing the Wifi and restarting the app, and taking the battery out of the drone and putting it back in and restarting the app over and over until it connects.  I love the drone but this is a serious problem that many drone pilots are complaining about with very little response from DJI.  They need to get on this problem and get it worked out ASAP, people regularly posting about this same issue will erode their name in the market and eventually their sales.

2015-9-3
Use props
mateusfsd
New

Brazil

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-3 17:28
Ardian, you already sent it back? If you remember the serial number can you pls post it for me to  ...

Hi DJI, I Have the same problem, i'm tried diferent cables and phones/tabs. But none work. Whats the procedure?
2015-10-27
Use props
Pablo Saracco
New

Argentina

mateusfsd Posted at 2015-10-27 15:32
Hi DJI, I Have the same problem, i'm tried diferent cables and phones/tabs. But none work. Whats t ...

I experimented the same issue. No way to update the firmware. Tryed different types of pen drives and cards. Even using the aricraft slot and the provided cable. Nothing. Blu light never appears.
Besides, I cannot connect the app with it. So I assume the port is bad. I'm living in Argentina. At least for me, the best way to solve this, is to order a USB spare cable or the HDMI module and fix it my self. Too expensive and a waist of time to send it to DJI, in order to fix it.  But in the other hand, when I connect my Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime to the RC unit, it charges!...so...that's a sign the USB port is fine?? All this is driving me crazy....

2016-1-10
Use props
peyofv
New

Chile

Hi everyone, the solution is to change the USB module from the back, it can be a friend`s one or an HDMI module, is really easy you do not have to know anything  .Then try to update with the new module, wait for about half an hour and put back your original module... It should work again!
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

peyofv Posted at 2016-1-21 02:52
Hi everyone, the solution is to change the USB module from the back, it can be a friend`s one or an  ...

Yes, most always if you get the "Disconnected" or "How to Connect" that means the USB cable is bad or the USB port needs repair.
2016-1-20
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pablo Saracco Posted at 2016-1-10 12:31
I experimented the same issue. No way to update the firmware. Tryed different types of pen drives a ...

I've got the same issue and I mentioned in this forum last week about it disconnecting from time to time and that the USB port in the back seems wiggly or loose feeling and even the guy from DJI (Tim?) stated that most are like this. This appears to be an issue for many users and apparently DJI is aware of this. My question is what will they do about it?
2016-1-20
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flormo2002@yaho Posted at 2016-1-20 13:28
I've got the same issue and I mentioned in this forum last week about it disconnecting from time t ...

By the way......it was Ken with DJI that said "Pretty much they are all like that". That's not very reassuring in my opinion
2016-1-20
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 13:17
Yes, most always if you get the "Disconnected" or "How to Connect" that means the USB cable is bad ...

Ken, you responded to my post last week about this same issue and your comment to be exact was...."Pretty much all of them are like that." Does this mean there will be a massive recall?
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

flormo2002@yaho Posted at 2016-1-21 03:36
Ken, you responded to my post last week about this same issue and your comment to be exact was.... ...

I was saying that pretty much all of them have a tiny bit of play when the USB cable is plugged in. What the other user was experiencing was totally different.
My Phantom3 is close to a year old with over 300 flights and my USB port had a tiny bit of play from day one and it still works perfectly.
2016-1-20
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 14:17
I was saying that pretty much all of them have a tiny bit of play when the USB cable is plugged in ...

To be more precise, I've never had a disconnect during flight but when connecting iPad to TX, I've had it say "not connected" many times and after removing USB cable from TX a time or two, it always reconnects but it appears that it may be a continuing problem as time goes on for many people. I'm sure that DJI has already beefed up the USB port on the latest production run.
2016-1-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

flormo2002@yaho Posted at 2016-1-20 14:28
I've got the same issue and I mentioned in this forum last week about it disconnecting from time t ...

I noticed this loose feeling immediately.
I am PC tech so I see a lot of usb plugs and the one on xmitter just bothered me, I make sure not to keep cable plugged in except when flying. I don't want to put strain on it and make it any looser than it is now
2016-1-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 15:17
I was saying that pretty much all of them have a tiny bit of play when the USB cable is plugged in ...

I have been wondering about the various threads mentioning disconnect and video loss. Many over time but no common pattern or cause found.

If these are lose enough and when the cable is bumped or vibrated, is it not POSSIBLE to cause a signal glitch in the connection between the RC and phone/tablet via the USB. Thus a connection/video loss and or reboot needed to reconnect.
a loose digital connection is NOT a good digital connection-ever.

The logic of my (xyz) is ok and works fine,  so all must be ok,  is not valid.
Otherwise nothing is ever broke or defective. We all know that's not true!

good luck and have fun flying
2016-1-20
Use props
willfulford
New

United States

I am having this issue, and rather than send to DJI support for 2-3 weeks or buy the HDMI upgrade board, has anyone found what is failing with the USB board/connection.  If so, what did you do to fix it.  I have tried multiple devices/cables/versions of IOS and DJI GO with no joy.  RC has never been dropped or mishandled.  RC and AC live in a hard pelican case, but I do travel with it to work as a professional cinematographer.  It worked fine for 3 months then, took it out on a job and it would not connect.  RC to AC link was good and AC flies no problem.  About to dive in to the back of the RC out of frustration.  I have assembled many drones, so I am familiar, but wanted to see if anyone had found a "free" solution.

Thanks guys!
2016-2-8
Use props
Codegit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141719 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have the same problem, the USB port has simply stopped working with less than 15 flights. I have flown less than 15 flights, NEVER had a crash, always well packed etc. The USB port just stops working this is NOT fair. I have reported the problem to DJI and will report back once I hear from them. In the mean time has anybody been able to repair the USB port, from what I have seen, this is a VERY common problem on the Phantom 3. These birds should have been recalled and the USB ports should have been replaced. DJI THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
2016-2-26
Use props
darren.fishell
New

United States

Codegit Posted at 2016-2-26 08:16
I have the same problem, the USB port has simply stopped working with less than 15 flights. I have f ...

I struggled with this for a while, but fixed it with the HDMI output upgrade. Same thing: USB stopped connecting at all to an iPhone or iPad after about 18 flights.

I couldn't find a replacement for the stock USB - Mini-USB module anywhere online, which also would have worked. I'm still not sure what caused the USB drive to stop working. It happened around November 2015 -- I could still fly the craft and take photos, but no video or connection with the app.

I did deal with DJI support a little, but they wanted me to test on both Apple devices, multiple cables and then move to an Android device (I only have a super-old Motorola Droid, which does nothing for nobody these days). A support person alluded to me having to send the whole bird into support, but I didn't go that far down that road, which may have been fine.

In any case, the HDMI output upgrade appears to be a quick fix for the fried USB on the stock remote. I bought through Amazon and just planned to return it if it didn't work, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Hope that's helpful. And hope it holds up! (I'll update if it doesn't.)
2016-3-5
Use props
hanzelmiranda
New

United States

I have the same problem, I can fly my drone but do not have connection on the USB port.  I think this is an engineering defect or production line problem.
2016-3-17
Use props
nnareshmgg
New
United States

Same problem...got mine some 2 weeks back...

starting today. when I plug in the remote to the iPhone 6s the charging icon shows up and disappears immediately.

I am able to fly fine...(had the calliberation IMU error and fixed that) .....

its not a cable issue as I am able to use that Cable to charge the iPhone from a normal wall outlet.
I also tried two different iPhone and same issue.. (and I have used the same iPhone without issues all these days)

I will give it a shot a few more times...but mostly will return it....Got it from Amazon on April 7th 2016

BTW....which makes me wonder...how come I am able to fly fine even when the charging icon is not showing up ?
How does the app commuicate with the remote if the charging icon is not showing up ? does that mean that the usb is working and its just that it does not charge the phone ? (no power but is able to communicate to the phone ?)

2016-5-1
Use props
edcarold
lvl.1

Canada

I don't think it is suppose to charge your phone. If you can see your camera view and can control the bird everything is good.
2016-5-2
Use props
fansa728b888
lvl.1
United States

peyofv Posted at 2016-1-20 10:52
Hi everyone, the solution is to change the USB module from the back, it can be a friend`s one or an HDMI module, is really easy you do not have to know anything  .Then try to update with the new module, wait for about half an hour and put back your original module... It should work again!

It's true that you could use another USB port to do the update and then swap the usb port back and it should work fine. however the GL300A and GL300B take different boards and from what I have tried, substituting the 300B board into a 300A controller will not allow an update. I believe the USB board links to the firmware chip on the mainboard of the controller. So in this scenario, you would probably need to substitute the 300A for a 300A board and a 300B for a 300B board. or possibly purchase an HDMI board which is supposed to be exactly the same for all 3 series controllers A,B and C.
2017-8-31
Use props
AriseAerial
New
United States

Such an old post and still no solution...   
I have 2 remotes with this problem.  One is still in the wrapper never used and it's a brick.  It'll connect with the drone fine but it seems the USB port is bad.  I've read hundreds and hundreds of posts-  thousands of comments and recommendations...    tried 10 different cables, 3 different devices, tried USB stick to upgrade, deleted the app and reinstalled, I've taken the module off and checked connections and made sure the 4 usb pins were tight... Nothing.   EPIC failure on part of DJI...

2018-1-8
Use props
FredFogg
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, it seems DJI doesn't want to deal with this issue or provide a solution.  So far, I would have to give customer service and the mods for DJI a big ole thumbs down.  Just keep on selling them but don't take care of your customers.  I have bought my last DJI product!
2019-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules