Are Firmware Updates Required By law?
1928 16 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

If not, why disable the bird? Just saying.   Something to consider.   If it is not required and the bird is performing as it is intended....   I myself read all that I can find on the update and decide at that time.   Just because it is called an update does not mean that it is better.    Save yourself some hassle guys.   Stop It.       Unless it is required or you need it(Quad Or Gimbal Acting Up).    Not to be offensive just needed to be said.   
2015-5-17
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Which update(s)? No, not required by law.  Should be voluntary, but some companies (DJI included) force updates simply by connecting device for some routine task.  Next thing you know you are being notified you have been updated.  Huh?  Did I ask to be updated?
2015-5-17
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

I see the "true" updates as a Manufacturer's obligation to provide  a safe, reliable product like the release of FW 3.12 to fix problems in FW 3.10 but the FW 3.14 update looks more like a Legal Safeguard for DJI. Lawyers in the forum should comment. Cheers.  
2015-5-17
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-17
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-5-18 13:24
A lawyer give advice for free you gotta be kidding right?
I don't think so Scooter!
It's in the by l ...

Ha ha ha Got me there, Axe.
2015-5-17
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Hahahaha!!!  
2015-5-18
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Heck no!  But hey,  lets play Devil's advocate for a second and say for the sake of argument there was  a legal requirement.   You simply can't legislate peoples behavor -- unless you can enforce it.  Ask yourself:  WHO is going to enforce it and go around checking everthing from frisbees to Phantoms?  A much bigger problem is who is going to PAY for all that enforcement?

Franky, the powers that be haven't been able to enforce most of the laws that are currently on the book.  So I seriously doubt I'll be seeing any drone police in my lifetime.
2015-5-20
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Damn good point!!  I have been caught up in all of the changes.  The responsible side of me has really  let al of this get to me.    Have no desire to step on a landmine.  Right now it seems as though they are everywhere.     but gil you said it.     No Drone Police.     Thanx for the perspective.     Now I can let the rebel in me go get some footage.   As a hobby class pilot I cannot sell footage.      I will however charge for Expertise Of Flight Exhibition.    Footage is free.    Flight exhibition will be within guidelines of the FAA.        
2015-5-21
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

what the law will end up saying ( no use of images obtained from aerial drones unless from a licensed FAA Pilot) Oh and about the update, I was not a owner during the whole 3.10 back to 3.08 then 3.12 fix. If I had I would not have broke my bird with the 3.14 update. Now I'm shopping for a used p2v+ that has not been updated while my other is not really safe to fly. although if it crashes due to firmware lawsuit city.....
2015-5-21
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-21 19:55
what the law will end up saying ( no use of images obtained from aerial drones unless from a license ...

I have not updated to 3.14 myself
how did the update break your quad?  I want to know what to look for if ever it needs updated
2015-5-21
Use props
rondrice
lvl.1

United States

Still on 3.08 here with no problems to speak of.
2015-5-21
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

As soon as I did the update to 3.14 I started getting inaccurate battery reads. Mainly when I get to about 30% it will drop to about 5% in seconds, barely enough time to land. I have 3 batteries and it does it with all 3. i have tested the batteries in my buddies p2v+ and they work normal (about 6 minutes after 25% warning)

I have read about others having the same issue as me
2015-5-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

No more required by law than you having to update any other electronic device!
Is upgrading your Mac or PC required by law?...NFW!
I posted this the other night and it has been moved or removed!
I have left my computer that I use for my updates disconnected from the Internet and fortunately, it and iTunes are the only thing I use that computer for...3.12 has been good for me and i will leave it that way until it fly's off to never never land or elsewhere...or until another update comes out that everyone swears by instead of swearing at!
2015-5-21
Use props
shades6988
lvl.1

United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-22 09:48
As soon as I did the update to 3.14 I started getting inaccurate battery reads. Mainly when I get to ...

You are.the first person I've seen to that has the same issue as me.  So it just may be that the firmware update that's messing with my bird.
2015-5-22
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

shades6988 Posted at 2015-5-23 09:45
You are.the first person I've seen to that has the same issue as me.  So it just may be that the f ...

I have found a bunch with the same issue as us,  hope dji is working on a fix of just let us go back to 3.12
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

The DJI firmware police will be after ya'll....just kidding...
2015-5-23
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Raybro you are correct.     Although knowing that I still harbor no worry.    You see the update police use the same database as all of the DJI customers.     I live confident in the knowledge of their communication devices being rendered useless after a recent update.     Also all of their weaponry has been sent back to china 6-8 weeks only to be unpacked,looked at,deemed duty worthy(Without So much as even a simple test fire) and sent back to the Firmware Police completely inoperable.      At this time all of us rebels are safe.       Having said that I am aware of a new line of communication devices and weapons to be released to the Firmware Police Force next week.     Inside sources have led me to believe that the threat from the new hardware is null and void as the batteries in the communication devices stop holding a charge immediately after the first charge,and all weaponry deemed Non Life Threatening due to the bullet leaving the barrel and instantly falling to the ground.       Safe.
2015-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules