Mavic Air in strong winds over the golf course
1210 15 2018-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stormense8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40030 ft
Sweden

I was here on a holliday tour. I dont play golf but like to fly.
We overnight at a golf course in Sunne Sweden while we were with friends in their home and celebrated Swedish Midsummer. For three days, I expected the wind to slow down, but eventually I had to fly my Mavic Air before we left home.
The wind blew strongly, and it is visible on the video Mavic Aire has a hard time to stand still in the air.

2018-6-28
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Good video anyway.
I looked on the trees but they didn't seem to move very much. That makes me think that the wind really wasn't that strong.
In my opinion your camera gimbal should not have wobled that much in that left turn. But again, I don't have a MA so I wouldn't now for sure.

If you want to have a look of a video I made recently with my MP in strong winds, it can be found right here - https://forum.dji.com/thread-152507-1-1.html
2018-6-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, very nicely done despite the winds.
Have a look at your sensitivity controls and reduce them to slow down the yaw and pitch speeds.
2018-6-29
Use props
stormense8
lvl.3
Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-6-29 00:14
Yeah, very nicely done despite the winds.
Have a look at your sensitivity controls and reduce them to slow down the yaw and pitch speeds.

Tank you for the tips. A lot of video editing  because i move the controller too fast.
The clip over the cottages we rented was made by on of Mavic Air Quickshots. I think it was Helix? Then a powerful windwind came and the drone shook.
2018-6-29
Use props
stormense8
lvl.3
Sweden

FlyDK Posted at 2018-6-29 00:04
Good video anyway.
I looked on the trees but they didn't seem to move very much. That makes me think that the wind really wasn't that strong.
In my opinion your camera gimbal should not have wobled that much in that left turn. But again, I don't have a MA so I wouldn't now for sure.

That was a realy heavy wind blowing on your clip. I have more of gust winds this morning.
2018-6-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Nice video
2018-6-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

stormense8 Posted at 2018-6-29 04:04
Tank you for the tips. A lot of video editing  because i move the controller too fast.
The clip over the cottages we rented was made by on of Mavic Air Quickshots. I think it was Helix? Then a powerful windwind came and the drone shook.

I see - wind can impact the flight performance
2018-6-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Beautiful video, thank you!
2018-6-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Nice video though
2018-6-29
Use props
mickongen
First Officer
Flight distance : 1349816 ft
Denmark

Great video.
2018-6-30
Use props
PITAir
lvl.2

Nice vid and very clear resolution stormense8. How can I make the same resolution? pls....

thanks
pit
2018-6-30
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Very nice video,
Beautiful scenery.
Did noticed a little shaking in the video but it looks like the MA handled it well.
2018-6-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video looks good.  I would recommend lowering your sensitivity.  That will help smooth out some of the turns.  Even with that wind, i thought the MA was a little more shaky than I expected.  Do you know how strong the winds were at that time?

Still though, it was a beautiful place to shoot.  I'm glad you got to get out there!
2018-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would concur with what flydk has said, that wasn’t wind causing your problem, it’s almost certainly a gimbal issue, whether gimbal needs calibration or IMU or both, I would keep a close eye on this, although you say it was windy, if wind was the problem then aircraft would move , but in this case it just looks like gimbal moved.
2018-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

stormense8 Posted at 2018-7-1 04:09
In the beginning of the video 3 m/s, then later 5 to gusty winds 14 m/s like today I believe. Good tips from you all. I only flight with Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 before (2012-2015) and its a huge differens:
Flying Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSpiXuzNPg.

This video is more telling, in here you can see aircraft is shaking in this situation gimbal should still remain fairly stable and footage should not be affected like this. You can try this simply by turning your aircraft on, (not motors) walk around with aircraft moving aircraft up and down side to side , the gimbal should be fast enough to react and give stable footage,
In the video above it almost looks like gimbal was shaking the same as your aircraft, so I would say you have a problem here. Do calibration then retest,either by flying or by hand as I suggested above.
2018-7-1
Use props
stormense8
lvl.3
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-1 04:49
This video is more telling, in here you can see aircraft is shaking in this situation gimbal should still remain fairly stable and footage should not be affected like this. You can try this simply by turning your aircraft on, (not motors) walk around with aircraft moving aircraft up and down side to side , the gimbal should be fast enough to react and give stable footage,
In the video above it almost looks like gimbal was shaking the same as your aircraft, so I would say you have a problem here. Do calibration then retest,either by flying or by hand as I suggested above.

Sorry, the second video was 6 yer old with another drone (Parrot AR Drone Quadricopter, 2.0). I deleted the post with the video to avoid misunderstanding.
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules