Quickshot Circle Mode giving very erratic results
1370 18 2018-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nodge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3596 ft
United Kingdom

I have 2 android phones both of which appear to struggle with the DJI Go 4 app. My Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 gets very hot and the app becomes unresponsive and crashes a lot. My Leagoo M8 Pro seems more stable and if I stick to normal flying I don't have too many problems but it struggles with the Quickshot modes - the circle mode in particular. See the video. You'll see that instead of flying smoothly around the target so that it remains nicely centred on screen, the target tends to jump about all over the place. Is this because my phone just isn't up to the job? I'm a bit loath to fork out for another phone or tablet just for the Spark but it would be nice to have some trouble free flights. Is an iPhone 5 still up to running the latest version of the Go 4 app? Or can anyone recommend a budget android phone that works without any problems?
I should just add that for the video I was using version 4.1.14 of the app as I thought it might be less demanding than the latest versions.

2018-6-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. May I know what DJI Go 4 and firmware version you are using? Please check the recommended devices below.

2018-6-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. May I know what DJI Go 4 and firmware version you are using? Please check the recommended devices below.

2018-6-29
Use props
Nodge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-29 09:01

[view_image]

I'm on the latest firmware but both phones have all sorts of problems with the latest versions of the app so I backdated to v 4.1.14 which seems to give less problems. The Xiaomi is on Android 5 and the Leagoo is on Android 6.
When I bought the Spark I assumed it would work with most android phones. I didn't realise that there was only a small list of recommended ones.
2018-6-29
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

My experiences with Circle mode are very similar to yours...jerky panning and not keeping the subject centered.
2018-6-29
Use props
Nodge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-6-29 12:25
My experiences with Circle mode are very similar to yours...jerky panning and not keeping the subject centered.

I've seen plenty of vids on youtube where it works perfectly and I would really like to be able to get it to work that well.

Just out of interest what phone are you using?
2018-6-29
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine are often jerky as well.  Practice as to know what position the spark needs to be to the subject n the shape of the subject  for they play important roles in smooth circle flight.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

It appears in your video that a moderate wind blew, tried it in silence?

The principle of operation: the camera captures the image, Spark transmits it to the remote control, sends it to your phone, processes the DJIGO app on the phone (it follows the picture) and sends a control signal to the remote control and sends it to Spark .

If the delay is increased in this process, the tracking becomes fragmented.

- If the phone's processor is slow, then this signal processing is delayed.
- Wiifi has a delay too, so OTG is better
- The wind can also increase this fluctuation

cheers
2018-6-29
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I have an iPhone 6S...I do think the farther away Spark is from the subject, the smoother the circle will be.
2018-6-29
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Using iOS 11.3 and 11.4 on an iPhone 7 and zero wind, I got results where I almost crash into the POI so I quit using it:
2018-6-29
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I've almost crashed too, when using it.  I ready my finger over the pause button on the remote control when I use the circle quickshot.
2018-6-29
Use props
Harry Moman
lvl.1

Australia

Lol thought I would test it out as I have never used this option

2 days after rebuilding my Spark from the tree Crash
https://www.facebook.com/hmoman65/videos/1903203556403488/
2018-6-29
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I think your spark is too close. Did you try moving bit further away from you so that it has a bigger radius to travel and would be more smoother ?
2018-6-30
Use props
Nodge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ram-UK Posted at 2018-6-30 01:13
I think your spark is too close. Did you try moving bit further away from you so that it has a bigger radius to travel and would be more smoother ?

I think you're probably right - it was too close. It makes sense that the further away then the less significant any issues due to the wind or my phone will be. I'll try again with Sparky a bit further out.
2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-29 16:40
Using iOS 11.3 and 11.4 on an iPhone 7 and zero wind, I got results where I almost crash into the POI so I quit using it:

You gave me a Fright pmshop I thought it was going to hit the Church !

Welldone in avoiding it !
2018-6-30
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-30 08:20
You gave me a Fright pmshop I thought it was going to hit the Church !

Welldone in avoiding it !

Actually, I did nothing - bad pilot - I froze in disbelief
2018-6-30
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Nodge Posted at 2018-6-30 08:16
I think you're probably right - it was too close. It makes sense that the further away then the less significant any issues due to the wind or my phone will be. I'll try again with Sparky a bit further out.

Looking forward to see the outcome.
2018-7-1
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Your circle shot looks about as smooth as mine when I have tried it. I think that's just about as good as it gets without a third axis on the gimbal.
2018-7-2
Use props
Kamal Nor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307024 ft
Malaysia

JimFandango Posted at 2018-7-2 00:20
Your circle shot looks about as smooth as mine when I have tried it. I think that's just about as good as it gets without a third axis on the gimbal.

I don't think so man.  Mavic Air also failed to do proper circle even with 3-axis. I tried this Quickhot circle like plenty of times and never successful either with Spark or MA. No matter what.. whether you draw a big or small box, it will end up towards the marked object and I have to cancel the mode before it crash.
But I noticed it was a bit easier if do circling on the small object the like of a human or a bicycle.
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules