Spark battery fell out mid flight - drone lost
5993 38 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lando5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8064 ft
United Kingdom

There are a few posts of this nature on this forum.

We were out hiking and having a good time with my spark a couple of days ago, taking some beautiful pictures and footage of the Sardinian coast.

I had already a successful flight or 2 with the drone that day, and decided to kick it into sport mode 4-5 minutes into the final flight and have some fun away from just photography.

As the Spark got up to speed, we watched it totally separate into 2 pieces, as the battery detached from the main unit and they both plummeted to the ground.

We spent several hours searching for the unit in thick corse brambles and other spikey plants before declaring it lost.

2 things -

1. To everyone with a Spark - heed the warnings of other posts on this forum and find a secondary way of securing the battery. Mine was totally, firmly attached.

2. To DJI. Have you recognised this as an actual issue? You’re willing to all the data I have, which presumably will show a power disconnect whilst in motion in the air, but I’ve not seen an official response for anyone else who’s had this problem. Did anyone get any warrantee claim or the like?

I’m upset about the loss of the unit, and the heavy price of that in itself, but the pictures and videos are forgever gone; which is somehow worse.
2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

This is a Common Problem you are right.

2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Many are using these Spark Battery Holder. It just costs about $5. Ebay is full of these Holders / Retainers.

2018-6-30
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Yip,, happened to me,, watched the Spark and the battery fly in different directions shortly after take off,, both dropping to the ground. Found the drone (damaged) but not the battery..Sent all info to DJi, whereby  they recalled the drone and repaired all the damage and replaced the battery.. No problem at all.. great service from DJi..
2018-6-30
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Were you using a 2017 or 2018 battery ? It is my understanding that they replaced a bad batch of batteries  that were disconnecting themselves during flight and the 2018 batteries are not supposed to have that defect with the latch. Can anyone confirm this ?
2018-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark. Please contact DJI Support so that we will be able to help you on this issue. I will be posting the online repair request link for you to create a ticket for your DJI Spark ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ). Please sync the flight records of the DJI Spark using your DJI Go 4 application as well.
2018-6-30
Use props
mhw#209
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96319 ft
United States

Happened to me the second day I had it, luckily it landed in tall grass for a soft landing.  Been using a battery holder ever since!
2018-6-30
Use props
Lando5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hey all - thanks for the response. I bought the Spark at the San Francisco store in very early January 2018, so I suspect 2017 batteries of that helps. @DJI - I’ve submitted a support request, but can’t send the unit as the crash rendered it missing
2018-6-30
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Kingram Posted at 2018-6-30 10:45
Were you using a 2017 or 2018 battery ? It is my understanding that they replaced a bad batch of batteries  that were disconnecting themselves during flight and the 2018 batteries are not supposed to have that defect with the latch. Can anyone confirm this ?

Lots of old ones out there, bought a new spark in april, with old clips...but they make new ones, just in need to emty storage first
2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

No Kingram here in Malta just bought 2 batteries without noticing the Small Latches Problem, and still mine are with Small Latches. I bought them from the DJI Agent in Malta, not a reseller.

Many have asked to do a return, but I don't think it will be ever possible.

I just use the Battery Holders and it helps a lot, they cost few dollar like $5, I am stuck with 5 New Batteries all with Small Latches.
2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

mhw#209 Posted at 2018-6-30 12:59
Happened to me the second day I had it, luckily it landed in tall grass for a soft landing.  Been using a battery holder ever since!

Good job MHW.

2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-6-30 14:32
Lots of old ones out there, bought a new spark in april, with old clips...but they make new ones, just in need to emty storage first

You are right Joller ! Most DJI Agents are stock with Old Ones.

I am assuming this July a New Drone will be out and will be something New between the Spark and Mavic Pro, so the Old Spark isn't given attention now a days.

2018-6-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to read that buddy
2018-6-30
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yet another battery popping out. Most likely the small clip. DJI really should have a return program for this issue before someone gets hurt. I know you can buy a third party latch but you shouldn't have to.
2018-6-30
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

A while back I wanted to buy 2 additional batteries. tried Best Buy, they were the old style latches - so I returned them for refund. Then tried the DJI store - again the old latches. Again returned for refund (but it was  was not so easy to convince DJI to take them back). Finally tried Adorama in NY - new latches. Also B&H in NY is selling the same. I know this only helps people in the US.   
2018-6-30
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Yes,, it was a battery from June 2017,, have since replaced all my batteries with the new latching clip,, so far all good..
2018-6-30
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

That must have been a sickening sight. You have my sympathies. This latest story has made me finally decide to buy a battery clip.
2018-7-2
Use props
Lando5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-30 10:50
Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark. Please contact DJI Support so that we will be able to help you on this issue. I will be posting the online repair request link for you to create a ticket for your DJI Spark ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ). Please sync the flight records of the DJI Spark using your DJI Go 4 application as well.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea how long this process takes? I submitted everything a couple of days ago, but didn't even receive an automated response.

Thanks,
2018-7-2
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft

I received an old type battery with my Spark, and then purchased another via Aliexpress that is new type.

To me both seems to attach OK, though I never use the sports mode and rarely do any sudden movements. I only use it for filming nearby.

I also have a battery clip just in case I fly in risky areas.

Best of luck for your support ticket!
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Sorry for the long wait. Do you have a case number? Usually, the response time after sending all the requirement to DJI is around 24 to 48 hours. Let me check this for you. You can email DJI support as well for follow up at support@dji.com for further help.
2018-7-2
Use props
Lando5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-2 09:59
Hi. Sorry for the long wait. Do you have a case number? Usually, the response time after sending all the requirement to DJI is around 24 to 48 hours. Let me check this for you. You can email DJI support as well for follow up at  for further help.

Stephen,

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll DM you.
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You're welcome.
2018-7-2
Use props
djiuser_Qm8zxTYz9FRz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192920 ft
United States

This just happened to me yesterday on the 4th of July. I'm really upset about this and I submitted a video for DJI Care and found out they wanted me to reshoot one more item before covering me. This is frustrating
2018-7-5
Use props
djiuser_Qm8zxTYz9FRz
lvl.2
United States

This just happened to me yesterday on the 4th of July. I'm really upset about this and I submitted a video for DJI Care and found out they wanted me to reshoot one more item before covering me. This is frustrating
2018-7-5
Use props
Lando5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_Qm8zxTYz9FRz Posted at 2018-7-5 18:15
This just happened to me yesterday on the 4th of July. I'm really upset about this and I submitted a video for DJI Care and found out they wanted me to reshoot one more item before covering me. This is frustrating

Bump! How did you get on?

My case is still under investigation. I have no idea how long these things take. What are other peoples experiences with timescales?

2018-7-16
Use props
randomhero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67864 ft
Canada

Ever since I've heard of this I've been using a battery lock on every flight!
2018-7-16
Use props
Mrantoinemil
lvl.2
United States

Lando5 Posted at 2018-7-16 11:52
Bump! How did you get on?

My case is still under investigation. I have no idea how long these things take. What are other peoples experiences with timescales?

I was in the process of getting DJI care for my drone while mine crashed. But after a couple of weeks of communication I did finally get a new replacement. I already bought the battery holder from Amazon and upon further examination my 2nd battery is missing one clip as well. So this even was going to happen eventually, I'm just happy it happened when it did because it could have seriously injured someone. I'm annoyed that DJI has not come forward and admit that this is a manufacturing defect and go on from there. But for me, in my own experience, I'm just happy everything worked out. Hope the same happens to you.
2018-7-26
Use props
Mrantoinemil
lvl.2
United States

randomhero Posted at 2018-7-16 12:21
Ever since I've heard of this I've been using a battery lock on every flight!
https://youtu.be/pwrW3BPIJn0

Bought this the moment DJI said they would give me a replacement.
2018-7-26
Use props
xcellman
lvl.1

United States

DJI has decided if your drone is out of warranty, they are not going to warranty the battery problem. This is my response from DJI:

Thank you for contacting DJI.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. My name is Arnold, one of the supervisors here at DJI. I totally understand your claim, however, we do not see this as a defect on the locking mechanism of the battery as we have done a lot of reliability test on it before the battery left the factory. We can also see that this unit has been active for a year and a half already and since then, according to our records, this is the first time we are reporting an issue for this serial number. I'm very sorry but we cannot cover this repair for free. Please complete the payment from the .... link found in the invoice that was sent to you if you wish to proceed with this repair.
Best Regards,

There you have it, the batteries are not defective! I will be selling my spark once I get it back.
2019-5-1
Use props
capn bob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49652 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-30 10:50
Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark. Please contact DJI Support so that we will be able to help you on this issue. I will be posting the online repair request link for you to create a ticket for your DJI Spark ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ). Please sync the flight records of the DJI Spark using your DJI Go 4 application as well.

Hi. My spark experienced a battery disconnected during flight in Quartzite AZ in early April. We managed to recover the drone but not battery. We were in an rv park and just damn lucky it didn’t hit anyone or any of the expensive class A motor homes. I’m not going to fly this drone till I know what the fix is. I have an additional battery but just not confident. I also need a couple new props. My email is primetime@wi.net
2019-5-6
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

sorry about the incident that you had with your drone and its battery, i recommend buy a battery holder when flying it.
2019-5-7
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Unfortunately, it happened to me with the new battery.
I always check that it is in place. That day I checked but the Spark stopped 90m high and fell. The battery was 5-6m away from the drone. Fortunately, there was no scratch on it because it fell on a soft, grassy ground and protected by the propeller protector on it and broken into pieces, but absorbed the blow.
I have three battery packs, 2 of which are newer, but it's not good either!
During the flight, it can loosen from vibration. Since then, I've only been flying with a battery retainer (3D print, from thingivers).
2019-5-7
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Lots of old ones out there, bought a new spark in april, with old clips...but they make new ones, just in need to emty storage first

I always check that it is in place. That day I checked but the Spark stopped 90m high and fell. The battery was 5-6m away from the drone. Fortunately, there was no scratch on it because it fell on a soft, grassy ground and protected by the propeller protector on it and broken into pieces, but absorbed the blow.
During the flight, it can loosen from vibration. Since then, I've only been flying with a battery retainer (3D print, from thingivers).
2019-5-7
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

2019-5-7
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-30 08:04
This is a Common Problem you are right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W46KOMayO4A

Not enough control !!
The new (higher) spike is not a guarantee, because the continuous vibration (in flight) from micro mm to micro mm slowly loosens, and the spring contacts push the battery down.
In vain, you get tired and everything is fine, it can happen (it happened to me, with the higher spike).
The only real solution is the battery fixing device!
2019-5-7
Use props
quadroFly
New

Ukraine

Such infographics helped me a bit when I was dealing any problems with hardware
2019-5-8
Use props
Joecool985
lvl.1

United States

This just happened to me today.    Found the battery can’t find the spark.   How far was the spark from the battery?
2019-5-26
Use props
PaulGr
lvl.1

United States

This same thing just happened to me. I had my Spark hovering about 15 feet off the ground as I was simply looking at an air vent on the roof of my house when the battery just fell off and the Spark crashed to the concrete deck and it snapped the plastic housing by the motor. I contacted DJI support and they asked me to send them the video cache and video recording which I did. It shows the drone simply hovering and then goes black from when the battery drops out. DJI support are saying they can't say its their fault and they won't commit to any help on the repair. They told me to just send the drone in and they will tell me what it costs to fix it after they look at it (and if I choose not to fix it they will charge me $60/hour for simply looking at it!. DJI is NOT taking responsibility for a design flaw that is causing their drones to drop from the sky and crash and break (or get lost).

2021-2-9
Use props
Lando5
lvl.1
United States

PaulGr Posted at 2-9 16:34
This same thing just happened to me. I had my Spark hovering about 15 feet off the ground as I was simply looking at an air vent on the roof of my house when the battery just fell off and the Spark crashed to the concrete deck and it snapped the plastic housing by the motor. I contacted DJI support and they asked me to send them the video cache and video recording which I did. It shows the drone simply hovering and then goes black from when the battery drops out. DJI support are saying they can't say its their fault and they won't commit to any help on the repair. They told me to just send the drone in and they will tell me what it costs to fix it after they look at it (and if I choose not to fix it they will charge me $60/hour for simply looking at it!. DJI is NOT taking responsibility for a design flaw that is causing their drones to drop from the sky and crash and break (or get lost).

[view_image]

Hey PaulGR.

I'm the original poster, but never updated this thread! DJI eventually sent me a voucher for a free replacement unit after a bit of arguing and back and forth, once I provided logs which showed the drone stable with a GPS lock, and other evidence that there was nothing around it could have impacted. My device was still under it's basic warranty however. DJI never admitted a fault with the battery. (I never pushed this as I was happy to end up with a replacement unit..).

I ended up selling the replacement unit, and upgrading to a Mavic Air, as I didn't have any confidence the same thing would happen again. (Although I sold it to a mate who has had a number of years of fun and no repeat of my issue).

Good luck!
2021-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules