Ronin mounting plate gets stuck and can't be removed from gimbal
17752 23 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
psaad
lvl.1

Canada

Did anyone have a similar issue with their camera mounting plate (while setup on camera and inserted into gimbal)? Once you lock it into position and then unlock it, it just gets stuck when try to slide it out.

I managed to slide it out after a few forced tries and when i do there is a smell of burned metal...looks to me like the metal that locks the plate in place gets stuck on the plate and when i force it out it just detachs from it. Although. when i pass my fingers on the plate i dont feel like it damaged the plate.

I made a video to illustrate my issue... i don't know if its because im doing something wrong or if something is defective on my end:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WzyRp2jNtVSczmnd6

This is really frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Patrick

2018-6-30
Use props
psaad
lvl.1

Canada

Balancing issue with Ronin-s and a6300 with 16-50mm OSS kit lens

Hi,

I seem to be having alot of issues in balancing my a6300 with kit lens. I balance the tilt axis fine but when I can't seem to get the Vertical tilt to balance at all... its like i have to choose between the tilt axis being off or the vertical tilt being off! This is the first gimbal i try to balance so i expected a larger learning curve but im surprised that with such a light lens and camera im having more trouble then with a heavy one.

I made sure to add the riser plate but that doesn't fix the problem. I followed the dji ronin-s assembly tutorial but with no luck!

I made a video to show my process... any help would be appreciated!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/txzzw1Pj196q671v9

Thank you!
Patrick
2018-6-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Patrick, we're sorry for the troubles. I'll forward to our engineers to see whether there are better suggestions or solutions.
2018-6-30
Use props
MichealMedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Remove the mounting plate, add some machine oil or plant oil on the block, then pull buckle on for several times, it will be good. This works for me.
hhh.png
2018-7-1
Use props
psaad
lvl.1

Canada

Michael, if I had the Ronin for several years then this would probably be the best solution. But I just received a brand new one and it started happening after I locked and unlocked just a few times. Not normal.
2018-7-2
Use props
btdigital
New

Same issues.  I just received my Ronin-S yesterday.  The plate got stuck.  I had to force it out.  Fortunately I had some oil from my hair clippers.  That hopefully will keep it from happening again.  Still, it's not an ideal thing to happen within the first day of receiving the product.  Also I have an a6500 with a 50mm, f1.8 lens and yeah it's been a pain trying to balance it with the camera facing upright.  I still can't get it to balance properly upright.

The only way I got even remotely close to balancing it properly was to add my Variable ND filter and an adapter ring for my 50mm lens for the added weight.  The problem is, I'd like to be able to use the Ronin-S and my camera for all situations and not just in broad daylight just so I don't have to worry about balance issues.  Would love to hear a solution for those of us experience balance issues who own lighter mirrorless cameras.

-Brian
2018-7-14
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

I add counter weights to get the full size Ronin in tune..and my latch has been sticking from day one..makes balancing even harder. If I tap it with a wrench it will unlock..Not been using Ronin much as the batteries died.
2018-7-15
Use props
MatejCeska
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-30 22:17
Hi Patrick, we're sorry for the troubles. I'll forward to our engineers to see whether there are better suggestions or solutions.

Hi! It happens to me too (plate getting stuck after every single locking of the plate). Its pretty annoying and I really scared that I will break something while Im forcing the plate to slide off again.

Any updates from engineers Susan?? Or should I just send it back for replacement?

Thank you!

Matej
2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MatejCeska Posted at 2018-7-22 22:03
Hi! It happens to me too (plate getting stuck after every single locking of the plate). Its pretty annoying and I really scared that I will break something while Im forcing the plate to slide off again.

Any updates from engineers Susan?? Or should I just send it back for replacement?

Matej, sorry for the late response. I just got an update from our engineers that they suggested sending the unit in. You may start a case from here: https://www.dji.com/support Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
2018-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MichealMedia Posted at 2018-7-1 23:21
Remove the mounting plate, add some machine oil or plant oil on the block, then pull buckle on for several times, it will be good. This works for me.

Patrick, sorry for keep you waiting. Please refer the 9# and start a case to send the unit in. The local team will take care once the unit arrived.
2018-7-24
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-24 03:44
Patrick, sorry for keep you waiting. Please refer the 9# and start a case to send the unit in. The local team will take care once the unit arrived.

You know this is typical and the plate system that's on every Ronin is now going to trigger a return and blind review from DJI. Most of us are out of warranty. Maybe just the plate can be mailed in?
Shipping anything to DJI is risky my gear was lost.

Sad thing is these are professional tools being treated like a consumer toy. My entire Ronin and peripherals have been replaced, with weeks of down time and even more with trouble shooting issues.
Now both my batteries are dead and Ronin can't be used. These plates need an online solution or should be traded in due to defect, without loosing the equipment or risking it in transit. I hope others add to this!
2018-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

proimages Posted at 2018-7-24 07:41
You know this is typical and the plate system that's on every Ronin is now going to trigger a return and blind review from DJI. Most of us are out of warranty. Maybe just the plate can be mailed in?
Shipping anything to DJI is risky my gear was lost.

Sorry for the troubles. It is recommended to send the unit and plate together. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties during the repair period, this will be forwarded to the right team for further review. If you need any assistance, feel free to contact our support.
2018-7-25
Use props
oliver_s
lvl.1
Thailand

MichealMedia Posted at 2018-7-1 23:21
Remove the mounting plate, add some machine oil or plant oil on the block, then pull buckle on for several times, it will be good. This works for me.

Hi Michael,

How did you remove the mounting plate?
2018-8-19
Use props
oliver_s
lvl.1
Thailand

Happened today during a professional shoot, the plate along with the camera got stuck on the Ronin S. Seeing as I have ten days before flying out for another project it will be interesting to see if this can be resolved within that timeline. Extremely disappointing, had the Ronin S for about a month now.  I've used another gimbal for over a year from a Chinese well known gimbal maker and something like this could just never happen.
2018-8-19
Use props
HybridPhotog
lvl.1
Philippines

I suggest for DJI to have an option to have replacements on their physical stores instead customers of sending/shipping the unit.

This will be a good solution to avoid having down time.

Waiting for a replacement / repair is frustrating.

2018-10-20
Use props
fansdf1ed11e
New
Italy

Hi everyone, it happened yesterday to me too on a professional shoot. It is quite annoying and frustrating.
It gets stuck everytime I lock it in.
Can dji send the replacement piece and then I send the defective piece?
I think is quinte fair since is causing a damage on jobs too.

Thank you
2018-11-6
Use props
djiuser_GKBIKMqEeWFa
New

United States

So that little bar that click when you slide your camera on is in locked position so I can’t slide my camera in has anyone have this experience before?
91B25DFD-6C3F-4FA7-9FCA-0E50C08BBCB4.jpeg
2019-4-3
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 305125 ft
United States

Before you all send back to DJI, just try lubing it up.  I had the same exact issue, and put some lubrication oil (similar to WD-40) on the mounting plate, and now it slides in and out like a charm.  DJI's response is always 'send it in', but for something this simple, its much easier to fix it yourself.  By the way, the tiniest amount of lube will work-- I just put some 'liquid wrench' a paper towel and smeared the plate with the paper towel.  That way you don't get too much on there.
2019-5-10
Use props
Paul Furon
New

Hong Kong

I’m having the same issue with the lock but not on the plate, at the handle level, the lock linking the battery to the plate.
Should I take it to a DJI CENTRE ?
2019-5-14
Use props
oliver_s
lvl.1
Thailand

Hi Patrick, I had the same issue and the solution is a very simple one. Metals requires some sort of lubrication. In my case I took the stick plate to a local DJI service shop in Bangkok and they sprayed some lubricant around key areas and this thing is smooth. Not sure what to recommend for DJI, perhaps there should be some maintenance instructions.
2019-5-19
Use props
fans89afa3aa
New
United Kingdom

Having the same issue with the battery grip here. It won’t release at all. Stuck solid. Havnt used it yet. Just out of the box. Ridiculous really. Not sure what to do really.
2019-7-6
Use props
fans4b8b8f36
New
Ukraine

fans89afa3aa Posted at 7-6 02:39
Having the same issue with the battery grip here. It won’t release at all. Stuck solid. Havnt used it yet. Just out of the box. Ridiculous really. Not sure what to do really.

Have you found out what to do? My battery grip is stuck also, can't get off
2019-7-18
Use props
fans4b8b8f36
New
Ukraine

fans4b8b8f36 Posted at 7-18 10:01
Have you found out what to do? My battery grip is stuck also, can't get off

The thing is that the lever is turning fine but the grip itself is like glued to the gimbal now
2019-7-18
Use props
vpilic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37039469 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

Hi all,

Which one of these two versions is newer one, and which one is older one?

Thank you in advance

2020-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules