How to get a accurate landing spot
889 17 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_z3oQ6DjoudNZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24462 ft

United Kingdom

So basically what’s the best way to get a accurate position when your about to land as I took it out today and it landed way out of position and nearly went over a building site fence but due to me being lucky I managed to land it just on my side! Took it on the field to have another test and it’s slightly out when it looks accurate on the map, any tips?
2018-6-30
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Point your camera straight down and practice.
2018-6-30
Use props
djiuser_z3oQ6DjoudNZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What difference does the camera make to pin pointing your home gps locking accuracy?
2018-6-30
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Turn on precision landing, and read the manual section for it...
2018-6-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Question : Are you just trusting the GPS and Home Point recording to make your 'precision landings' ?

Not a good idea regardless of what machine you have. Home Point return ... usually in form of RTH will generally get you close and in proximity of the landing point .. often near enough on the spot. But its not g'teed and I think I can safely say that vast majority of flyers even if they use RTH will revert to manual landing to make sure of the point it actually touches down. Not only that but it ensures you can miss those bumps and dips that can spoil your day when machine tips over.

Just my 2c's worth. (I don;t have a P4 ... only a P3 .... but I think same applies).

Nigel
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When engaging RTH, I always take over the landing.

I found it sometimes touched down a bit too firm for my liking.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-30
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

Ditto landing myself.  RTH gets it close then do it yourself...
2018-6-30
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-30 09:28
Question : Are you just trusting the GPS and Home Point recording to make your 'precision landings' ?

Not a good idea regardless of what machine you have. Home Point return ... usually in form of RTH will generally get you close and in proximity of the landing point .. often near enough on the spot. But its not g'teed and I think I can safely say that vast majority of flyers even if they use RTH will revert to manual landing to make sure of the point it actually touches down. Not only that but it ensures you can miss those bumps and dips that can spoil your day when machine tips over.

"Not only that but it ensures you can miss those bumps and dips that can spoil your day when machine tips over."

Turn on the "landing protection" and it wont do that, instead it tells you that the site is unsuitable for landing.
2018-6-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

You may want to tell us which drone you have.
Otherwise we can only guess recommended settings.
2018-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Consumer GPS is not pinpoint accurate and can be a few metres out.
You can always cancel RTH and resume control to land for yourself.
If you have a P4 pro, you can enable Precision Landing to use optical technology to land within centimetres of the launch spot (as long as the launch spot had a recognisable pattern or texture).
2018-6-30
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft

Agree with the bumpy landing......I always land myself, if allowed.   However, after each software upgrade my testing includes an RTH procedure.   I allow it to come down to about 10 ft AGL and disconnect.

I land on a table, unless it’s windy.   I don’t like the camera and gear getting ‘dust blown’.   On my white table there is nothing distinguishable so I placed a large duct tape cross hair on the white table top.   This allows the VPS to hone in on an object better.

Once while capturing photos at dusk/night, I didn’t get home quick enough and it went in to RTH.  I didnt have the tape on the table at the time and it came down and was about to ‘split’ the table.   I grabbed it and hauled out of the way and the drone landed on the ground fine.   
2018-6-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When using the launchpad and precision landing it has ALWAYS, landed on the pad and about 75% of the time fully on the H itself, but, most of the time i fly back myself and hand catch due to the uneven surface, its only  just good enough to take off of lol and i cannot use my landing pad as its rock hard dirt road
2018-6-30
Use props
djiuser_z3oQ6DjoudNZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have a Phantom 3 professional
2018-7-1
Use props
djiuser_z3oQ6DjoudNZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

How do I activate precision landing?
2018-7-1
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft

Enable Vision Positioning is a setting in Go app.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does the P3P have Precision take off guys? just had a look and i cannot see it on the P3P page
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

The question that need to be asked, what did you do when it landed like initially described and how far out was it?
It sounds like you have activated a RTH but not been long enough away from the home point for this to do as expected, did you press RTH and it just landed where it was?
2018-7-1
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-1 20:53
Does the P3P have Precision take off guys? just had a look and i cannot see it on the P3P page

Seems unlikely, not all P3 have a camera underneath and none of them have 3D cameras like the P4 has so landing protection would be impossible.

I think on a P3 you have to accept that it will land near the home point, accuracy depending on GPS accuracy, which is normally a few meters, or sometimes 10s of meters.  The P4 with precision landing can normally get within a few cm, or a few 10s of cm on a windy day.
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules