DJI July 18 Upcoming Announcement?
2033 19 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft

What's it going to be this time? I'm anticipating at least a P5 description, not the drone itself but the features. What do y'all think?

2018-6-30
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm just getting settled into using my P4P. I don't want to see a new device that I want to buy.
2018-6-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I suspect it is a Mavic announcement.
2018-6-30
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

...or we´ll get a FW upgrade 2.x.x for the Standard? ...with new features?
2018-6-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

If it'll be a Phantom 5 I guess all the P4P v2.0 guys will be pretty upset ;-)
2018-7-1
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Whatever it is, it should comply with the new EU drone laws, so it should be either just under the new 800g limit and be of Phantom quality, or over the 800g limit and meet the new requirements for strobes lights, radio beacons etc.   Some countries will require pilot testing for over 800g so a Phantom 5 at 799g seems quite likely.
2018-7-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-7-1 02:04
Whatever it is, it should comply with the new EU drone laws, so it should be either just under the new 800g limit and be of Phantom quality, or over the 800g limit and meet the new requirements for strobes lights, radio beacons etc.   Some countries will require pilot testing for over 800g so a Phantom 5 at 799g seems quite likely.

Where did you find this with 800g? Isn't it France only that has/will introduce this limit?
In the EU nothing will be decided/put into law before 2019. So far they are still discussing drafts.
I doubt that DJI builts drones according to possibly upcoming regulations in the future.
2018-7-1
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-1 02:38
Where did you find this with 800g? Isn't it France only that has/will introduce this limit?
In the EU nothing will be decided/put into law before 2019. So far they are still discussing drafts.
I doubt that DJI builts drones according to possibly upcoming regulations in the future.

Yes, France seems to have jumped the gun by a fair amount, but I assume the basics are actually agreed and it is only how and when the individual countries are going to implement some/all of the decisions that has yet to be decided?  It would be a bit stupid for France to change their laws before things have been agreed!   I think the 800g limit must be fixed now, although not all countries have to implement it.

If the important rules are not fixed and it may change to 750g then it is too early for DJI to release a compatible Phantom 5.
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

So much talk about July 18 lately. Where do you see that something is going on, is it some Facebook event or?
Nothing here, nothing in events, nothing on the front page, nothing in the newsroom, i see nothing about July 18 except from threads here.

They better release some Phantom 4 Series Low Noise propellers in black soon, but i'm sure it would not result in an event, advertised long time before, somewhere it is not to be found.
A dual capacity battery adding some flight time and weight for better wind resistance would not be bad either.
2018-7-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-1 09:59
So much talk about July 18 lately. Where do you see that something is going on, is it some Facebook event or?
Nothing here, nothing in events, nothing on the front page, nothing in the newsroom, i see nothing about July 18 except from threads here.

https://www.droningon.co/2018/06/16/dji-release-invites-for-july-18th-new-york-event-hints-at-360-camera/
2018-7-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-7-1 02:04

a Phantom 5 at 799g seems quite likely
As the P4 weighs 1.4kg, that would be unlikely.
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Thank you, yet one of the strange things going on here. If it is sent out as a press release then why would it not be present in their own press room section...
Just like when they publish a firmware release note on FB one hour before we see it here on their own pages.

Well should it be right and being a 360° camera it won't turn me on, funny and nice but not really something for my usual usage. Just like the tiny planets, interesting view, different and funny but as we roll around them anywhere it gets boring.
2018-7-1
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-1 01:37
If it'll be a Phantom 5 I guess all the P4P v2.0 guys will be pretty upset ;-)

LOL - I just got my P4P v2.0 but I can say I wouldn't be upset.  The P4P v2.0 gives me everything I want and need right now.  And I knew full well when ordering it that DJI had an event planned for the middle of July (I ordered it right after the See The Bigger Picture announcement).  Was I betting that the event wasn't going to include a P5P?  Yep.  And I fully accept that it's a bet on my part.  But the way I look at it DJI release the Mavic Pro Platinum in August of last year.  It's likely the Mavic Pro II will be what's announce in a couple weeks.  And the P4P v2.0 is kind of like the Mavic Pro Platinum - an incremental update.  So if it took 11 months after the incremental Mavic update to release the new version I think we might be in for a similar wait for the P5P.  And I wasn't willing to wait another 6 months, let alone 11.  And yes, this is all just speculation on my part so take it with lots of grains of salt.   For all I know the P5P will be announced at the See the Bigger Picture event!
2018-7-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Uschi’s Phantom Posted at 2018-7-1 14:29
LOL - I just got my P4P v2.0 but I can say I wouldn't be upset.  The P4P v2.0 gives me everything I want and need right now.  And I knew full well when ordering it that DJI had an event planned for the middle of July (I ordered it right after the See The Bigger Picture announcement).  Was I betting that the event wasn't going to include a P5P?  Yep.  And I fully accept that it's a bet on my part.  But the way I look at it DJI release the Mavic Pro Platinum in August of last year.  It's likely the Mavic Pro II will be what's announce in a couple weeks.  And the P4P v2.0 is kind of like the Mavic Pro Platinum - an incremental update.  So if it took 11 months after the incremental Mavic update to release the new version I think we might be in for a similar wait for the P5P.  And I wasn't willing to wait another 6 months, let alone 11.  And yes, this is all just speculation on my part so take it with lots of grains of salt.   For all I know the P5P will be announced at the See the Bigger Picture event!

Uschi??
That sounds so German. It's short for Ursula :-)

Shall we bet? I say it won't be a Phantom 5 but next Mavic Pro generation.
If you win, I'll send you a case of German beer.
If you lose, you don't send me American beer. Americans know a lot but no beer   
2018-7-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-1 13:58
Thank you, yet one of the strange things going on here. If it is sent out as a press release then why would it not be present in their own press room section...
Just like when they publish a firmware release note on FB one hour before we see it here on their own pages.

DJI is very bad about it's own web pages. It seems their webmaster is a freelance retired guy who doesn't care.
E.g. they still show the Obsidian. As a teaser, not when you hit the purchase button. But still...
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-1 15:14
DJI is very bad about it's own web pages. It seems their webmaster is a freelance retired guy who doesn't care.
E.g. they still show the Obsidian. As a teaser, not when you hit the purchase button. But still...

Yes talking about a lazy webmaster, i have for a long time requested that our avatars link to the product page and not the store as it would ease a lot manual and download looking up. Nothing happen and the avatars still link to the store but now to a 404 page not found ...

In general it is hard as he.. to find anything, why on earth is there not a direct link to accessories from the aircraft pages, ditto for manuals etc. i swear loudly every time i would just look up something, it is a mess all over.

But whatever is on the way all the mess remains for sure.
2018-7-1
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-1 15:05
Uschi??
That sounds so German. It's short for Ursula :-)

Very good - Uschi is actually my dog, a Doberman Pinscher, or Dobermann if you prefer.  When my wife and I were trying to come up with a name for her we thought a German name would be fitting.  And like you said it's a diminutive of Ursula and we liked the "little bear" connotation of the name.  In fact we often call her Uschi-bear.

I do agree with you, on a couple points - I think the DJI even will be to announce the Mavic Pro II and not the P5P.  And I also agree that American beer is, well, not even fit for a dog.  Although I do have modify that statement - mass-produced American beer is bad.  Over the last decade or so there has been a lot of microbreweries that have started to produce small-batch quality beers in America.  Within 25 miles of my home there are 4 small local breweries that make good beer.  Yes, it's expensive, and yes, they are local beers only, but at least I can drink good beer without having to travel to Germany, Belgium, or other parts of Europe.
2018-7-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Uschi’s Phantom Posted at 2018-7-1 15:56
Very good - Uschi is actually my dog, a Doberman Pinscher, or Dobermann if you prefer.  When my wife and I were trying to come up with a name for her we thought a German name would be fitting.  And like you said it's a diminutive of Ursula and we liked the "little bear" connotation of the name.  In fact we often call her Uschi-bear.

I do agree with you, on a couple points - I think the DJI even will be to announce the Mavic Pro II and not the P5P.  And I also agree that American beer is, well, not even fit for a dog.  Although I do have modify that statement - mass-produced American beer is bad.  Over the last decade or so there has been a lot of microbreweries that have started to produce small-batch quality beers in America.  Within 25 miles of my home there are 4 small local breweries that make good beer.  Yes, it's expensive, and yes, they are local beers only, but at least I can drink good beer without having to travel to Germany, Belgium, or other parts of Europe.

Your username "Uschi..." made be become very sentimental. Uschi was the first girl I ever fell in love with when I was 13.
Only problem was she never knew she was my girl friend ;-)

2018-7-1
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-1 17:47
Your username "Uschi..." made be become very sentimental. Uschi was the first girl I ever fell in love with when I was 13.
Only problem was she never knew she was my girl friend ;-)

LOL. I remember back when I was a young teenager and was very shy around girls. If only I knew then what I know now.
2018-7-1
Use props
Greg75
lvl.1

Peterx Posted at 2018-6-30 23:54
...or we´ll get a FW upgrade 2.x.x for the Standard? ...with new features?

Yeah we definitely need that.
Latest firmware is so not optimized..
2018-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules