One reason
1702 21 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mkurr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1605564 ft
United States

Can anyone give me one good reason why mavic pro costs more than mavic air? It has less sensors, etc.

2018-6-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Ocusync
2018-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s called progress, and I’m certain next Mavic will have 6/8 sensors, but read the specs and you will realize why Mavic Pro is more expensive.
2018-6-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

cause it is better than mavic air
2018-6-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Battery life.
Flight distance.
Digital Display on Controller.
Occusync.

Pick one.
2018-6-30
Use props
alonzowest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>

hence the title "pro"
2018-6-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

about the same last time i checked..  $799 for base mavic pro package, about the same as the mavic air.  and $999 for the fly more bundle, same on mavic air.

as for why it maybe priced higher or in more demand in some places..  

1. occusync (vastly better wireless technology), better range and image clearity in live preview even in limited locations where power is turned down.

2. better battery life (actually noticable amount more)

3. more "pro" features on the mavic pro to tinker with that mavic air lacks like fine tuning to speed of the aircraft's response for ultra smooth shots, many color profiles and etc etc

4. pro more physical sensors and reducancies including 2 GPS modules, 2 IMUs, 2 compasses, 2 ultrasonic sensors, 2 VPS bottom firing cameras... thus potentially more reliable platform vs the air.

5. proven more resilient in extreme climates like the extreme heat and extreme cold.  mavic air has had several cases where props frosted up and dropped out of the sky in frozen fog of the winters. mavic air also suffered processors overheating on really hot days..  mavic pro usually doesn't suffer such issues...
2018-6-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ocusync and specifically the RC.
The batteries are only £16 more so that is not where the major price differences are.
Note that the cost of the MP continues to drop - it will be as cheap as the Spark soon enough.
2018-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-30 20:08
about the same last time i checked..  $799 for base mavic pro package, about the same as the mavic air.  and $999 for the fly more bundle, same on mavic air.

4/ is stretching it a bit, 1 gps same as Mavic Air , and everything else almost the same except Mavic Air has more sensors than Mavic Pro.. you will also find that Mavic Pro is by far the most crashed drone in djis fleet.
2018-7-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Because it named Pro
2018-7-1
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

Wow, I didn't know that it couldn't stand cold.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, here in northern NY we can't use a drone that won't fly in the winter.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

Or at least it would be much harder to use.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

But still, the sensors.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

They are very useful if you are flying around trees or indoors.
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. I will post a link to compare the DJI Mavic Pro and the DJI Mavic Air for reference. This link will show all the features of both DJI Mavic Pro and the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2018-7-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-1 03:37
4/ is stretching it a bit, 1 gps same as Mavic Air , and everything else almost the same except Mavic Air has more sensors than Mavic Pro.. you will also find that Mavic Pro is by far the most crashed drone in djis fleet.

i saw something somewhere pointing out mavic pro has 2 GPS, maybe just 2 GPS controllers and single GPS receiver.  

lately i been hearing about mavic air problems i got my mavic pro after the sea of mavic pro problem, i see a lot fewer mavic pro problems than i seen of mavic air issues.    on top of this i have a friend that lives in a part of saudi arabia and dubai that has had 2 mavic air's fall out of the sky from overheating as well as one suddenly flying off into the distance disobeying his commands... but completely fine flying the Mavic Pro around as well as his Matice 200M and Inspire 2 drone even in 130F+ temps.  they all give temp warnings but are completely stable and dont just shut off or become glitchy..

as for more sensors, eh, not as good i guess.  i rather have 2 IMUs, 2 compasses, 2 ultrasonic transceivers, 1 or 2 IR sensors, and 2 VPS bottom cameras over the 2 rear OA cameras that i'm likely going to only use 5% of the time..

2018-7-1
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-1 19:13
i saw something somewhere pointing out mavic pro has 2 GPS, maybe just 2 GPS controllers and single GPS receiver.  

When it comes to the Mavic Air, this had to be done without compromising the light weight of the aircraft.

Dual IMU – DJI have added dual IMUs (Inertial Measurement Unit) which are used to measure the drone’s force, velocity and attitude. In basic terms, the IMU is responsible for maintaining accurate behaviour of the aircraft by regulating sensor readings. The dual IMUs help avoid incidents by ensuring information captured by the drone is correct. Incorporating dual IMUs has been a common choice for DJI with the majority of their drones due to increased accuracy it gives.

Dual Vision Compass – In addition to the IMUs, dual vision compasses are also built-in to the Mavic Air. The vision compass helps the Mavic Air’s navigation system evaluate the aircraft’s direction if it undergoes compass interference.

Multi-Stereo Vision – Dual stereo vision systems, help the aircraft position itself whenever there’s at least one direction of the vision sensor is operating normally. This increases the reliability of the Mavic Air by a huge amount.

Dual Sensor Fusion Algorithms – Two hardware platforms work with two sets of sensor fusion algorithms to help avoid error. This is done by automatically switching to the other set should an issue be encountered. This helps the drone’s functionality return to its normal operation as soon as possible.

The multiple redundancies are a significant improvement when compared to what DJI have previously put into their consumer drones. Element redundancy was not available for the Spark, so the Mavic Air is clearly a huge step up from this aircraft in terms of reliability and safety. The Mavic Air also builds on the systems incorporated in the Mavic Pro which only had dual IMUs and compasses, especially impressive considering the size and weight.

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... -2-aircraft-safety/
2018-7-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Robothamster Posted at 2018-7-2 01:55
When it comes to the Mavic Air, this had to be done without compromising the light weight of the aircraft.

Dual IMU – DJI have added dual IMUs (Inertial Measurement Unit) which are used to measure the drone’s force, velocity and attitude. In basic terms, the IMU is responsible for maintaining accurate behaviour of the aircraft by regulating sensor readings. The dual IMUs help avoid incidents by ensuring information captured by the drone is correct. Incorporating dual IMUs has been a common choice for DJI with the majority of their drones due to increased accuracy it gives.

i believe the mavic air only has a single compass on a hardware tear down level, maybe they use other methods, but in terms of solid state physical compasses, internally i only seen one set internally.  

the mavic air uses 2 IMU systems.. however they are not temperature referenced which is massively important to ensure accuracy since microscopic expansion and shrinking can cause huge swings in values and knowing the proper offset at any given time is important.  

as for the vision systems working as a form of navigation and failsafe redundancy, i doubt it or atleast that its functional.. having watched MA's taking a sh**t i and they dont appear to use cameras to hold bearing/heading even if they are facing something ... to even figure this out given lack of material on the subject from DJi would require decrypting the firmware and dumping it and finding this functionality...and even if they did find it in the firmware, its been discovered that Dji shares firmwards between drones. the mavic pro features exist in the spark's firmware even though on hardware level its missing things.  

also Dji does not appear to be bragging about this vision functionality, which would be something any marketing team would get hyped over to sell their product...  it appears the camera's only functionality is OA based..  
2018-7-2
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

So then I guess mavic pro is worth the extra?
2018-7-2
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Mkurr Posted at 2018-7-2 07:13
So then I guess mavic pro is worth the extra?

I think that all depends on  what you are wanting to do.
2018-7-2
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
Russia

I ended up buying mavic pro....
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules