Mississippi River boating with Mavic Air and Spark. Tough landing...
1579 30 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys,
Took the Mavic Air and Spark on the Mississippi for some boating today. Good thing I brought both because I forgot to charge the Mavic Air controller and only got one flight out of it. It was VERY tough landing the Mavic Air on a small boat while it was drifting at about 5mph down the Mississippi River. I was quite worried that it would either tear up my hands or just bounce right off the boat into the water. Any tips on landing on a moving boat??? In the end I just grabbed it out of the air and flipped it upside down to turn it off.

0:00-1:51 (except engine close up) Mavic Air
1:52-END Spark (including all close up shots)

2018-6-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caught the Spark side of this - again, great footage mate   
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-1 01:47
Caught the Spark side of this - again, great footage mate

Thanks man! Really glad I brought the Spark since it's controller NEVER DIES! Seriously, it seems like I have to charge the Mavic Air controller twice/three times as often as the Spark controller.
2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 02:12
Thanks man! Really glad I brought the Spark since it's controller NEVER DIES! Seriously, it seems like I have to charge the Mavic Air controller twice/three times as often as the Spark controller.

I get around 12 flights with my MA controller. Do you use Android? If so, ensure the RC is not charging it as that drains the RC battery much quicker.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-1 02:13
I get around 12 flights with my MA controller. Do you use Android? If so, ensure the RC is not charging it as that drains the RC battery much quicker.

Ah-ha! I bet you're right. How do I turn that off??
2018-7-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Nice work and nice flying
2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 02:18
Ah-ha! I bet you're right. How do I turn that off??

No idea mate lol - I use iOS
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Nice Video Mate !
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-1 05:55
No idea mate lol - I use iOS

ok, I'll look it up. But thanks for the suggestion. That is exactly what is happening and it drains the controller SOOOO fast.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! The summer is going by too fast. It's July already... crazy! So many places to fly before the snow comes.
2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 11:24
ok, I'll look it up. But thanks for the suggestion. That is exactly what is happening and it drains the controller SOOOO fast.

I did four full flights on the MA this afternoon with a 100% charged RC and iPhone 7 plus on initial take off. When I packed up the RC still had 78% charge on it... The phone was 49% - that's after flying for well over an hour and not turning off the RC between flights either which remained on for over 90 minutes. So 12-16 flights should be possible without charging the MA RC (one benefit of not having ocusync).
2018-7-1
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Nice Video & Nice flying !  

Where did you get the large title font from ?
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FredAstra Posted at 2018-7-1 13:10

Something I downloaded for free when I was searching "Script" fonts. I'll check the name and get back to you. Yes, it's my new favorite and use it too much.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FredAstra Posted at 2018-7-1 13:10

Ok, so it's called "Billy Ohio" and here's a link but really I'm not sure where I downloaded it from. Could be this site or could have been somewhere else. It's missing a lot of symbols and punctuation so in the past when I need a comma I've used the dot from lower case "i". Just and FYI

https://www.dafont.com/billy-ohio.font
2018-7-1
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice, where on the Mississippi is that?
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-1 11:37
I did four full flights on the MA this afternoon with a 100% charged RC and iPhone 7 plus on initial take off. When I packed up the RC still had 78% charge on it... The phone was 49% - that's after flying for well over an hour and not turning off the RC between flights either which remained on for over 90 minutes. So 12-16 flights should be possible without charging the MA RC (one benefit of not having ocusync).

Thanks for the info. I'm googling ways to stop the charging right now and some people have even modified USB cables and removed the Black wire to stop the charging. There must be an easier way than that. I'm also going to test charging my phone to 100% before I fly next and see how much battery drain happens.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-7-1 14:05
Nice, where on the Mississippi is that?

Between Wabasha and Lake City, MN.
2018-7-1
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your lucky man.  Minnesota is a special state.  I live right around Saint Louis.  I envy your half of the river.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-7-1 14:12
Your lucky man.  Minnesota is a special state.  I live right around Saint Louis.  I envy your half of the river.

Thanks, although I need to get up North more than I do. Southeast MN is def not "Land of 10,000 Lakes" This location is about an hour away from my city. Starting in two weeks we will either be in Northern Minnesota or Nothern Wisconsin every other weekend. I'm looking forward to shooting more nature videos when we're up there.
2018-7-1
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 13:58
Ok, so it's called "Billy Ohio" and here's a link but really I'm not sure where I downloaded it from. Could be this site or could have been somewhere else. It's missing a lot of symbols and punctuation so in the past when I need a comma I've used the dot from lower case "i". Just and FYI

https://www.dafont.com/billy-ohio.font

Got it. Thanks!

2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 14:09
Thanks for the info. I'm googling ways to stop the charging right now and some people have even modified USB cables and removed the Black wire to stop the charging. There must be an easier way than that. I'm also going to test charging my phone to 100% before I fly next and see how much battery drain happens.

The battery in the phone will still need charging from the RC to maintain 100% though - shouldn't be as bad but if you can find a way to stop the charge altogether then you should be able to get far more flights out of the remote.
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 11:25
Thanks! The summer is going by too fast. It's July already... crazy! So many places to fly before the snow comes.

Which part of the US do you live in Bing ??
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-1 15:29
Which part of the US do you live in Bing ??

Rochester, MN which is Southeast Minnesota. When I say up North I just mean Northern Minnesota, which is quite different and quite a long ways from where I live. 3h 20 minutes to Duluth and over 6 hours to Grand Portage. Southern MN was flattened by glaciers about 2 million years ago so is mostly fields. But Northern MN is where it's at as far as scenery goes.

Here's two pics to highlight the difference (I didn't take these)
southern mn.jpg
northern mn.png
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 15:42
Rochester, MN which is Southeast Minnesota. When I say up North I just mean Northern Minnesota, which is quite different and quite a long ways from where I live. 3h 20 minutes to Duluth and over 6 hours to Grand Portage. Southern MN was flattened by glaciers about 2 million years ago so is mostly fields. But Northern MN is where it's at as far as scenery goes.

Here's two pics to highlight the difference (I didn't take these)

What a Wonderful State !

So you live in North America near Canada ! Have my Wife's Family and Cousins in Ontario Canada.

Really wish to visit someday, when I have some Money.

I have never been to Canada or US. I live in a Small Island of Malta, Middle of the Mediterranean.

2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-1 15:53
What a Wonderful State !

So you live in North America near Canada ! Have my Wife's Family and Cousins in Ontario Canada.

Minnesotans are confused with Canadians a lot because we have similar accents. Eh? I haven't seen too much of Canada, but most of what I've seen has been Ontario. Mostly just the along the border around the Great Lakes. If you visit then definitely see Niagara Falls. And Toronto is great too because it's the NY City of Canada. I've visited the falls and Toronto many times and it never gets old. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are worth seeing, and if you can then also see Mackinac Bridge and Island. I'm going to try to get to Mackinac Bridge this summer with my drone.

BTW, googled Malta and WOW! What a gorgeous island. Please send me your youtube channel if you have one so I can see vids of Malta!
Mackinac Bridge.jpg
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 16:43
Minnesotans are confused with Canadians a lot because we have similar accents. Eh? I haven't seen too much of Canada, but most of what I've seen has been Ontario. Mostly just the along the border around the Great Lakes. If you visit then definitely see Niagara Falls. And Toronto is great too because it's the NY City of Canada. I've visited the falls and Toronto many times and it never gets old. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are worth seeing, and if you can then also see Mackinac Bridge and Island. I'm going to try to get to Mackinac Bridge this summer with my drone.

BTW, googled Malta and WOW! What a gorgeous island. Please send me your youtube channel if you have one so I can see vids of Malta!

Wow ! For me this is all Wonderful as Malta is so Small Bing !

My Wife has been lots of times in Canada when she was Young, as they have Lake Houses at Mississauga for Summer. Here Family live almost near you all in the Ontario Area. Indeed she went to Buffalo and Niagra Falls and took the Boat too.

The Nature you have in North America is a Dream to me, as I am Paranoid in living in the Woods. I wish I had a Wood Hut to live away from the Busy Life !

2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-1 16:48
Wow ! For me this is all Wonderful as Malta is so Small Bing !

My Wife has been lots of times in Canada when she was Young, as they have Lake Houses at Mississauga for Summer. Here Family live almost near you all in the Ontario Area. Indeed she went to Buffalo and Niagra Falls and took the Boat too.

That's the goal of many people from my city. To retire and buy/build a cabin in Northern Minnesota and live in peace!
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-1 16:55
That's the goal of many people from my city. To retire and buy/build a cabin in Northern Minnesota and live in peace!

Yep, sometimes you need to have a Break from that Busy Life Bing, here in Malta its a Tourist Island, and where I live in Sliema is the Busiest Part due to Shopping Areas, Nightlife etc.... so a Good Trip to getaway from Normal Life and live in Nature is a Dream for Me !

You are Very Lucky Buddy !  Really nice talking to You !

2018-7-1
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Both drones did a really nice job .
My tip for landing on a boat is to first have the boat dry docked. Little drone humor.

There are great YouTube videos on hand catching the right way and there are some showing "Not how to catch a drone on a boat" I would stick with the "right way"
Thanks for sharing your Mississippi boat ride.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-1 17:01
Yep, sometimes you need to have a Break from that Busy Life Bing, here in Malta its a Tourist Island, and where I live in Sliema is the Busiest Part due to Shopping Areas, Nightlife etc.... so a Good Trip to getaway from Normal Life and live in Nature is a Dream for Me !

You are Very Lucky Buddy !  Really nice talking to You !

Any time. And send me that youtube channel if you have one. Cheers! Don't let the tourists drive you crazy. Later dude.
2018-7-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-7-1 17:36
Both drones did a really nice job .
My tip for landing on a boat is to first have the boat dry docked.  Little drone humor.

I'm going to keep the fishing net handy next time. The current was strong and the boat was moving quickly and unpredictable. It was nerve racking. The net will be the last resort!
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules