My Air playing with FPV Racers and fixed wing craft
610 9 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

While on a bike ride this morning, I randomly happened upon a group of guys having fun with their FPV racing quads and flying fixed wing aircraft, over this park in Berkeley, California. This one FPV racer guy kept doing low loops around this poor guy driving a tractor to mow the grass. The guy in the tractor was seriously laughing and enjoying the fun, and it was pretty funny.
I just happened to have my Canon and Air in my backpack (so cool that I can throw all that in my backpack on a ride), so of course I had to see what I could capture. The guys graciously let me join in on the fun and photograph them too. This let me work on my new practice, which is capturing more than just drone video - but incorporating hand held video from my Canon as well. I took a quick trip 200 feet up into the low hanging fog. Too bad I would lose VLOS or I would have punched through the fog to maybe see the sun.

It also let me try something for the first time, which is capturing video of other drones and craft that are also flying in the sky. That is much harder than it seems! One huge problem is that I can't really see if I've got a tiny drone in view on my mobile phone. Another problem is I have no idea where they're going to go at 90mph. And there's lots of things buzzing around in the sky so you have to keep your wits about you. Normally I edit the video more, but for this one I just let the whole video go, unedited. I'll be working on capturing better video of other flying craft and producing a better edit. Sure this video is jerky, yaws around, there's stuff I would cut out, and I'm in sports mode, and I missed a lot of the action. But I thought some might enjoy it unedited for some reason.

2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Those racing drones are insane! Cool vid
2018-7-1
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-1 15:42
Those racing drones are insane! Cool vid

Thanks. They make me feel like I'm standing still even when I'm in sports mode. On the other hand, they blow their whole wad of battery in 3-4 minutes.
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Really nice footage. Those Racers are like a Bullet ! Great Vid !
2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-1 16:28
Thanks. They make me feel like I'm standing still even when I'm in sports mode. On the other hand, they blow their whole wad of battery in 3-4 minutes.

I fly at an RC field sometimes and have seen them fly around. Totally different drone. Shame they last about 3 minutes per battery though
2018-7-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see.
Only question is : what have you done to the colors?
2018-7-2
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-2 11:36
Nice to see.
Only question is : what have you done to the colors?

That is a great question. I'm flying at about 8am in early morning fog (well, fog at 200 feet anyway) downwind from some huge forest fires that give everything a red/orange glow. Ashes were literally falling out of the sky as I was standing there - covering my clothing.
2018-7-2
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Here's the 60 second short I produced which is easier to watch.

2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-2 11:52
Here's the 60 second short I produced which is easier to watch.
https://youtu.be/Ls5-5nOn7DM

That's cool      
2018-7-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-2 11:51
That is a great question. I'm flying at about 8am in early morning fog (well, fog at 200 feet anyway) downwind from some huge forest fires that give everything a red/orange glow. Ashes were literally falling out of the sky as I was standing there - covering my clothing.

Ah ok. That explains it.
Thanks!
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules