Mavic air crashed hard. No idea why. :( DJI Go App issue?
3778 54 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248258 ft
United States

So I was under the impression that if you had GPS lock safe to fly status, the drone should not be flying away or drifting at all correct? Only in atti mode with no GPS lock. My IMU was in good status as well and I had latest firmware. Is there anything I'm missing?
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Nick1 Posted at 2018-7-2 10:22
So I was under the impression that if you had GPS lock safe to fly status, the drone should not be flying away or drifting at all correct? Only in atti mode with no GPS lock. My IMU was in good status as well and I had latest firmware. Is there anything I'm missing?
So I was under the impression that if you had GPS lock safe to fly status

Unfortunately, if Compass(es) are out of calibration and/or effected by strong magnetic field, the drone can become confused as to which way it's nose is pointing.  Throwing off directional movements.
The drone does not have enough built in Smarts to figure out that when it tried to go South it moved North East instead, and drone now needs to reverse it last set of movement commands.  It simply decides, it needs to try harder.
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

and I had latest firmware.

There has been problems reported with Mavic Air's latest firmware .0400.    See HERE
(Also problems reported with Mavic Pro's latest firmware .0300.)

2018-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You didn’t have any compass problem, if you did then aircraft wouldn’t react correctly to stick movements, but as you can see from your log when you pushed up and right that’s the way the aircraft went, whether you had a drifting problem is not possible from this log, drifting could be caused by a number of things, IMU weak gps, I’m sure your .dat file will show this better.
It’s pretty clear that compass issues where post crash as one would expect.

I do think this has a good chance of a warranty but can’t be sure.
2018-7-2
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

I'll actually post the log from the flight just 12 mins before this, normal operation taking the proper intended flight path for comparison. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CS739MFP740T7BZGT1O7/

This was the flight I was having issues with the screen glitching and app crashing while in flight.
2018-7-2
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 10:45
and I had latest firmware.

Now that I think of it, this isn't the first time I've had an issue on this firmware, I had a short flyaway out of nowhere a few flights ago but recovered it and just attributed it as interference of some kind. I've not flown much since I put latest firmware on. I really hope I don't get screwed on this because it definitely wasn't my fault.

2018-7-2
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

these props are good to go.  use them as DJI props are tested to last longer even when they are crunched like the one in the pic.
2018-7-8
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

S.J Posted at 2018-7-8 10:32
these props are good to go.  use them as DJI props are tested to last longer even when they are crunched like the one in the pic.

Glad I got the fly more combo. One of them are completely cracked across. Not going to chance it with the rest.
2018-7-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-2 08:25
I was thinking that the question was what happend, and more specific what happend before i hit the side of the house.....

About VPS height from 9.9 feet to 0.0 feet in (01:35:01.299 to 01:35:01.401) 0.102 second. that is 99 ft/sec = 67 mph.

I think you will see VPs was pretty much correct.
2018-7-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nick, I'm so sorry to read the crash. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is still under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-7-12
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-12 22:36
Nick, I'm so sorry to read the crash. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is still under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.

Thanks Susan. It's currently being Damage Assessed according to DJI's status updates.
2018-7-22
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

Hey guys, just wanted to update and say DJI covered it under warranty repair, I should have it Monday!
2018-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nick1 Posted at 2018-7-26 15:26
Hey guys, just wanted to update and say DJI covered it under warranty repair, I should have it Monday!

High Nick1, good job, thought this may have a good chance of a warranty, glad everything worked out for you.
2018-7-26
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-26 15:45
High Nick1, good job, thought this may have a good chance of a warranty, glad everything worked out for you.

Me too! thanks. Hopefully they came out with a newer firmware? Haven't checked yet lol
2018-7-28
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
United States

Happy to report it looks like they gave me a new drone entirely. Even better is it's got .300 on it. YAY no having to wait for a new firmware lol...
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules