What could go wrong?
991 17 2018-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello All, I have few questions, share your experience.

What could go wrong with Mavic Air?

How long can I fly it?

Can I fly over trees with just by looking at the flight path and view on screen?

Have you ever flown over a forest?

thank you.

2018-7-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

Read the Manual 3 times, find a big open field and practice. The main thing that goes wrong with the Mavic Air is inexperienced/uninformed pilots who take to the sky right out of the box.
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. Before you take your flight please check the condition of your Drone if it is worthy to fly. Check the area if you have a good GPS signal so that the signal transmission will not cut off. If you are a beginner put the settings to beginner mode so that you will not have a hard time controlling the Drone. Happy flying.
2018-7-2
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

What could go wrong with Mavic Air?  -
Anything that COULD go wrong with a mechanical device that is FLYING.  What will likely go wrong with a Mavic Air?  Depends on your flying conditions, the weather, etc.  This is too broad of a question to answer in a forum.  This will take research.

How long can I fly it?
I get approximately 15 minutes on each battery.  I normally land with about 5-6 minutes of battery left.  I don't run the battery down to the bottom.  That's a crash waiting to happen.
If you mean how long as in how far away, the answer is approximately 2km.  Personally I've flown 1.5 km from the take off location.

Can I fly over trees with just by looking at the flight path and view on screen?
The rules and regulations of the land not withstanding, the Mavic Air will fly at altitudes higher than any tree on the planet.  You can fly over the trees by looking at the screen.  You will see what the camera sees.
This does not mean that you SHOULD.  You should (especially if you are new to flying UAVs) keep visual line of sight with your aircraft.   What these crafts CAN do far outruns what a pilot SHOULD do with them.

Have you ever flown over a forest?
I have flown over small clusters of trees.  Not a full forest.
If you decide to fly over a forest, be sure that you are in a position that does not impede signal from the controller.
2018-7-2
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

<rant>
Forgive me for saying this, but I feel it needs to be said.   It has been my experience that when the conversation starts with "What can go wrong?" the answer is almost always, "Everything".

As QuadKid said, read the manual.  (and it's not an exaggeration to say read it 3 times)  Know your aircraft.  Know what it is capable of.  Know what it is NOT capable of.  Then know yourself.  Know what you are capable of within the realm of what the aircraft is capable of.  

Although we are all here to help, we really hate to read about pilots crashing.  Especially when they are doing things that could have been avoided, simply by knowing what you're doing.  (like my crash.  should've known better.  Now I do.)

I thought i knew what i was doing.  Because these are so easy to fly, they will lull you into a false sense of security.  You must fight that sense of security, and fly these machines with the respect that it deserves. </rant>
2018-7-2
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

I’m a firm believer in vls  but if you’ve got plenty of spending money, try it out and let me know what went wrong.
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes you can fly over forests. Do read the manual.
2018-7-2
Use props
djiuser_CEdNxuNmFbIZ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The biggest thing that can go wrong is not doing your flight pre-checks.
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Not with all Mavic Airs but with some M.A.s there has been / are issues with Firmware.  

Firmware like .0400 that can't be rolled back.  Problems seen can be found HERE
2018-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can, but should fly VLOS, You get a great view of the forest from 100 metres, and can still see your aircraft.
2018-7-2
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s an electrical aerial quad, what do you think could happen?
2018-7-2
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-7-2 11:54
It’s an electrical aerial quad, what do you think could happen?

I have no idea, what do you think
2018-7-2
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-2 11:49
You can, but should fly VLOS, You get a great view of the forest from 100 metres, and can still see your aircraft.

Great, will keep it in mind
2018-7-2
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 10:50

Not with all Mavic Airs but with some M.A.s there has been / are issues with Firmware.  

Interesting ..... thank you
2018-7-2
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 10:12
Yes you can fly over forests. Do read the manual.
[view_image]

Awesome click,,,, Reading it right now
2018-7-2
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

SkyBug Posted at 2018-7-2 09:33
I’m a firm believer in vls  but if you’ve got plenty of spending money, try it out and let me know what went wrong.

hahah best reply yet
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

umadbrv Posted at 2018-7-2 12:17
Awesome click,,,, Reading it right now

You'll need a strong cuppa mate but trust me, it's worth it as you'll probably come back with the drone - that's always a good thing ;)
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 12:25
You'll need a strong cuppa mate but trust me, it's worth it as you'll probably come back with the drone - that's always a good thing ;)

DJI's manuals are only hard to read do to vagueness.  
Nothing like reading computer system's hardware manuals that filled two book shelf rows.
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules