Officialy experienced the left yaw issue.
332224 332224 2018-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

Well after saying I have had no issues with my Mavic Air it happened. Watch the left of the video. I corrected it with the stick and it did it again.
The rest of the flight was stable and did not happen. I'm not looking for answers or complaining just documenting it here for the people that are having issues also. I flew around after this and it did not happen again.
Lattest firmware
IOS IPad mini 4
Go4 app 4.2.21

2018-7-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

If you let it keep turning, it will eventually start turning the other direction rapidly until the IMU Yaw value matches the Mag Yaw value.  
When this rapid correction back the other direction happens, be aware that the drone may move around a bit horizontally and with look like it has lost its mind for a few seconds.
Here is what it looks like in the logs when this happens:
wild yaw.png

Red is altitude
Blue is Magnetic Yaw (Compass)
Green is IMU Yaw
Magenta is Roll
Gold is Pitch
Notice the IMU Yaw and Mag Yaw were slowly drifting apart at first, then the turn continues until the Mag Yaw starts to change direction and then it turns back the other way more rapidly.  The pitch and roll disturbance happens at the same time and will scare a person!  All of this happens with zero input from the pilot.

I would love to see the DAT file log off of your mobile device for this flight.
https://datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3DatfromTablet.html

2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-2 14:15
If you let it keep turning, it will eventually start turning the other direction rapidly until the IMU Yaw value matches the Mag Yaw value.  
When this rapid correction back the other direction happens, be aware that the drone may move around a bit horizontally and with look like it has lost its mind for a few seconds.
Here is what it looks like in the logs when this happens:

Any way to do this with out I tunes? I don't like anything apple. Bought this I Pad just for flying with.
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Come on dude!  

There are trillions of people world wide flying Mavic Airs without problems.
You are the only one claiming such a problem with Mavic Air.
Obviously Pilot Error!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is that an RC aircraft field? Nice. BTW - GO4 app 4.1.22 released earlier this week on iOS. Sorted a few bugs out for me.
2018-7-2
Use props
North Idaho Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2310082 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you try formatting the SD card on your P3?
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 14:36
Come on dude!  

There are trillions of people world wide flying Mavic Airs without problems.

You guys are awesome!!!
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 14:42
Is that an RC aircraft field? Nice. BTW - GO4 app 4.1.22 released earlier this week on iOS. Sorted a few bugs out for me.

Ill try updating Thanks.
RC field with plane heli and drone field.
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

North Idaho Guy Posted at 2018-7-2 15:04
Did you try formatting the SD card on your P3?

2 million times and still formatting
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

Im downloading iTunes on a windows tablet. Once I have the DAT file what will open it or do I need to upload it some where?
2018-7-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-2 15:15
Ill try updating Thanks.

The APP has nothing to do with this particular slow yaw issue....
2018-7-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-2 15:31
Im downloading iTunes on a windows tablet. Once I have the DAT file what will open it or do I need to upload it some where?

If you could upload it to dropbox or google drive or any file sharing site that you may use and post the link here that would work.
You can open it yourself with this tool but there is a bit of a learning curve to interpret the data:

https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-2 17:29
If you could upload it to dropbox or google drive or any file sharing site that you may use and post the link here that would work.
You can open it yourself with this tool but there is a bit of a learning curve to interpret the data:

Thank you Brantel. Here is the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chtgd8 ... -56_FLY003.DAT?dl=0
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

I don't know if you need this but its about 1:15 into the flight that it happened. EDIT: This may be incorrect I let it hover for a bit before i started recording.
2018-7-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-2 17:45
I don't know if you need this but its about 1:15 into the flight that it happened. EDIT: This may be incorrect I let it hover for a bit before i started recording.

Yep, this is the same thing going on with many DJI drones.  Seems to be related to the newer ones.  Many Mavic Air's, I2, the M series, and the new P4P 2.0.

The same issue has existed in 3ea P4P 2.0's that I have tried.

Here is your log where I think the video took place.  There are other occurrences of the same thing in the flight but you may not have noticed them.
yaw.png
Black is rudder input by the pilot
Green is the IMU Yaw
Blue is the Magnetic Yaw (compass)
Red is the altitude

Notice the blue is drifting down which relates to counter clockwise drift...
Up on the black line is right rudder.  Notice your corrections to counter the drift to the left.  Notice the drift even without pilot input on the rudder stick.

Also notice that when you turned almost 70° to the right at the end of the video, the IMU yaw started drifting.

Now on to the end of your file:

yaw2.png

Notice the IMU yaw drifting closer to the Mag Yaw only to rapidly flip the error to the other side of where it should be?  This was during the last long decent before shutdown.  Did you notice the yaw glitch on the way down?  The black line is flat on 0 which means no rudder input from the pilot when this happened.
2018-7-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-2 18:59
Yep, this is the same thing going on with many DJI drones.  Seems to be related to the newer ones.  Many Mavic Air's, I2, the M series, and the new P4P 2.0.

And the Mavic Pro, and even the Osmo series of gimbals.

Here's my original thread on the Mavic Pro rotating and drifting when flying "straight":

https://forum.dji.com/thread-124081-1-1.html
2018-7-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

yep, i have it too on my mavic pro!  not consistent, just sometimes does this.. no idea why, i downgraded to .100 and .200 neither fixed this.  i'm back on .300.. it is actually bad enought that i'm afraid to fly my mavic pro around water and im only flying over safe areas i know of, not even exploring anymore.  i tried flying over water last week or so, and its almost like the VPS is updating at a very slow rate based on how its attempting to maintain its like half refresh rate. it scared me!  i have flown over fast moving water before and it was okay...

based on the fact this is more recent issue and downgrading my FW isn't solving the issue, i suspect the dji go app is responsible for these issues, at least in my case..  
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-2 15:15
Ill try updating Thanks.

Very nice.
Same here: RC and drones. Though ours is grass.

Good luck on the GO4 update - it definitely has fixed the POI glitch in disabling the RC ft buttons. I've done 8 flights on the latest version and they were all perfect.
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 22:49
Very nice.
Same here: RC and drones. Though ours is grass.
[view_image]

You need better security!  
There is trespassing gawker standing 1/4 way down and nearly in middle of your grass runway.
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 23:21
You need better security!  
There is trespassing gawker standing 1/4 way down and nearly in middle of your grass runway.

Hahahaha - that's me!
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 23:23
Hahahaha - that's me!

Man, they will let anybody on that runway.

2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 23:24
Man, they will let anybody on that runway.

They do as the land is owned by Earl Spencer (the brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales) and he has reserved this spot for drones So no council or RC club has any power on that land. It is one of the few places I know where not owning a drone will get you into more trouble than owning one. All I have to say is 'read the signs' to the drone haters and they always walk away with their tale between their legs whilst I record their walk of shame for my amusement.
2018-7-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

Yep, this is the same thing going on with many DJI drones.  Seems to be related to the newer ones.  Many Mavic Air's, I2, the M series, and the new P4P 2.0.

Thank you for the info and work you put in on this.
My air is one of the first to hit the stores. I picked it up in February.
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Yep, this is the same thing going on with many DJI drones.  Seems to be related to the newer ones.  Many Mavic Air's, I2, the M series, and the new P4P 2.0.

This is very interesting, thank you! Do you have any idea what might trigger this, why it only happens for some and for many others not, or in case of OP just for a short while?
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 23:30
They do as the land is owned by Earl Spencer (the brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales) and he has reserved this spot for drones  So no council or RC club has any power on that land. It is one of the few places I know where not owning a drone will get you into more trouble than owning one. All I have to say is 'read the signs' to the drone haters and they always walk away with their tale between their legs whilst I record their walk of shame for my amusement.

All I have to say is 'read the signs' to the drone haters and they always walk away with their tale between their legs whilst I record their walk of shame for my amusement.

Now that is hilarious!
Please post one of waddles away.
2018-7-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-3 07:23
All I have to say is 'read the signs' to the drone haters and they always walk away with their tale between their legs whilst I record their walk of shame for my amusement.

Now that is hilarious!

One day for sure   
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Mikem691, to a friend of mine who picked up a MavAir in New York, called over to get me to check his drone as he has very similar Yaw issue, he was having a problem with photos not being correctly focused. So we tried to see if anything could be done,
He was using a ND 16 filter which first of all was forcing him to use a slower shutter, so we scraped the filter in favour of higher shutter speed, this was a big improvement.

So remembering a similar problem with Mavic Pro early last year, a guy posted a temporary fix for Mavic Pro, basically when Aircraft starts to Yaw just switch to sport mode and Yaw will stop, so we tried this and it worked, Mavic Air sat very still Yaw stopped and photos could be taken from a still platform.

This is only a workaround and may not work for everyone, but it may help some who are still flying and need to steady aircraft for photo shooting.
2018-7-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-3 07:45
Hi Mikem691, to a friend of mine who picked up a MavAir in New York, called over to get me to check his drone as he has very similar Yaw issue, he was having a problem with photos not being correctly focused. So we tried to see if anything could be done,
He was using a ND 16 filter which first of all was forcing him to use a slower shutter, so we scraped the filter in favour of higher shutter speed, this was a big improvement.

sport mode isn't the fix all for my mavic pro when it does this, i first noticed the issue in sport mode.   but if i spin around and jiggle the air craft a bit in sport mode (left/right/up/down) a few times it seems to fix it.. not sure what the logic is behind it or why it seems to chill out once give it a jiggle.  i cant say it work for everyone, but worth a shot, cant hurt.

another thing to check (after digging threw menus last night).   check camera/gimbal settings, sometimes it rotate ahead of movement to left and right stick movements (forget the setting name im not sitting here looking at the app)..  that can sometimes make it appear like its rotating in live view when its really locked tight in the air.  
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-3 07:53
sport mode isn't the fix all for my mavic pro when it does this, i first noticed the issue in sport mode.   but if i spin around and jiggle the air craft a bit in sport mode (left/right/up/down) a few times it seems to fix it.. not sure what the logic is behind it or why it seems to chill out once give it a jiggle.  i cant say it work for everyone, but worth a shot, cant hurt.

another thing to check (after digging threw menus last night).   check camera/gimbal settings, sometimes it rotate ahead of movement to left and right stick movements (forget the setting name im not sitting here looking at the app)..  that can sometimes make it appear like its rotating in live view when its really locked tight in the air.

I was referring to Mavic Air .
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-3 07:53
sport mode isn't the fix all for my mavic pro when it does this, i first noticed the issue in sport mode.   but if i spin around and jiggle the air craft a bit in sport mode (left/right/up/down) a few times it seems to fix it.. not sure what the logic is behind it or why it seems to chill out once give it a jiggle.  i cant say it work for everyone, but worth a shot, cant hurt.

Synchronized gimbal pan follow, this is a feature of Mavic Pro , which will allow gimbal to slowly follow for a second or two while aircraft has stopped. This is not a feature you of the Mavic Air although you would have similar with cinematic mode.
2018-7-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-3 07:59
I was referring to Mavic Air .

you referred to a solution from the mavic pro, and proposing it to work on mavic air.   i'm confirming it as a potential temp "fix" since still works for mavic pro thus probably onto something..  if it occasionally doesn't work, just give it a jiggle up/down/left/right or whatever order and it should effectively wake things up so to speak.

almost like the modules are half asleep.
2018-7-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-3 08:05
Synchronized gimbal pan follow, this is a feature of Mavic Pro , which will allow gimbal to slowly follow for a second or two while aircraft has stopped. This is not a feature you of the Mavic Air although you would have similar with cinematic mode.

yes that.. i wasn't aware not on the mavic air.  

but just thinking maybe that accounts for some of the people thinking they have yaw issues, it can look that way at first glance.
2018-7-3
Use props
msavic6 5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 278583 ft

I have noticed a similar issue with my Mavic Pro, it started happening recently where I noticed the drone no longer flys in a straight line but drifts to the left. I have also noticed a slight rotation while it is in the air and hovering in place. I have swapped some props, did a compass, IMU calibration and Gimbal calibration but the issue still happens.  Not really sure what else to try.
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-3 08:11
yes that.. i wasn't aware not on the mavic air.  

but just thinking maybe that accounts for some of the people thinking they have yaw issues, it can look that way at first glance.

Well if you have synchronized gimbal follow on that’s what it looks like.
2018-7-3
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I had a similar issue with my spark, but usually a remote calibration fixed it.  only problem was that the calibration seemed to never stick, it would start drifting again the next time the remote was cycled.  
2018-7-3
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer

One thing I have never done is any calibration except for compass when asked to. I will try calibrating everything and see if it happens again.
2018-7-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-3 10:51
One thing I have never done is any calibration except for compass when asked to. I will try calibrating everything and see if it happens again.

you shouldn't need to calibrate compass/IMUs very often if ever.  stick calibration makes some sense though, specially with heavy use the sticks and loosen up a bit..
2018-7-3
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 02:51
This is very interesting, thank you! Do you have any idea what might trigger this, why it only happens for some and for many others not, or in case of OP just for a short while?

Actually I have not found one yet that did not have the problem (based on logs I have reviewed).  Many times the owner just has not noticed it.

It takes a certain set of circumstances to become obvious.

The effects can vary depending on the heading that the drone stops at in hover, what direction and yaw rate the pilot commanded coming into the hover.  On the Mavic Air it appears that the VPS will hold the drone from drifting up to about 60-65'.  On my P4P 2.0, the VPS does not stop it from turning.

A USA based DJI support manager has confirmed that the issue exist in many DJI models and that engineering has  been working on a fix for some time.

One thing for sure is that this is not a compass or IMU calibration issue.  You can calibrate till the cows come home and it won't help as long as you don't have a grossly out of calibration setup.

There are some who truly do have a miscalibrated RC.  It is easy to tell by looking at the logs if the turn is commanded by the RC or if it is yaw drift.

2018-7-3
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-7-3 10:51

Your log shows no signs of a bad RC calibration....

Your compass appears fine as well.

Your IMU looks normal (except for this yaw issue) as well.
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-3 15:54
Actually I have not found one yet that did not have the problem (based on logs I have reviewed).  Many times the owner just has not noticed it.

It takes a certain set of circumstances to become obvious.

Thank you very much for your explanations. This seems to be a weird issue. On mine I have not noticed it yet.
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules