Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone who uses the Samsung Tab S3?
7317 15 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

I am looking for a new tablet and really like my old trusty Samsung Note 10.1.
Using that everyday as a replacement for paper and pencil in meetings.

Now it is ready to be replaced and the Samsung Tab S3 looks like the perfect replacement.
I would also like to be able to use it for DJI Go4.
BUT.
I am reading a lot of Android issues here.
Not on every device, so therefore my question:
Is anybody here using the Samsung Tab S3 and how does that work with DJI Go4?

Thanks in advance
2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. I recommend using the recommended mobile device for your DJI Mavic Pro for compatibility purposes. I will be posting the list of the recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Pro for reference. Thank you.

2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Myself and many in our drone club love the newer Galaxy S3 Tab. Many switched from iPads and found the screen much better, brighter than the iPad Pro. CPU is fast, screen is fantastic, 4GB Ram, on board GPS (great fro waypoints and Litchi as well) and plenty of storage.  I got mine around when Go4 was at 4.2.14 and it worked perfectly. Since 4.2.20 very bad lag and screen digitized and even chopped in blocks. Serious issues with 4.2.20.

Take the Go4 APP back to 4.2.12 or 4.2.14 on Android. Currently 4.2.20 is terrible for many android devices well over spec requirements. Good thing is nobody is suffering from other glitches plaguing iOS right now. Perhaps the DJI teams will get on this sooner. Currently I am on 4.2.14 again and the app is fine. No glitching, scrambling of video feed and I am running cache and have the app video set to 1080 HD feed. S3 handles it like a boss.

DJI also needs to get on board and start testing these products with newer devices. NOTE 8 I also have as well as many others using it, and it is really about as close to Crystal Sky in brightness (1000+ nits), has ultra fast cpu, 6G ram and an amazing screen as well.

Per that list their last product confirmed device is a Note 4? DJI is a big Co, and it would be wise to verify product tests on the most commonly sold and recent devices as well.  Galaxy Tab S3 has a ton to offer and is easily in spec of Go4 and then some. Out classes the iPad Pro I had tested back to back and has the GPS. GPS version of iPad Pro is $250 higher than non GPS version and basically 2x price of S3. I also see iPad Pro is not on that list either.....
2018-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-3 07:50
Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. I recommend using the recommended mobile device for your DJI Mavic Pro for compatibility purposes. I will be posting the list of the recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Pro for reference. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks for the reply!
2018-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 10:02
Myself and many in our drone club love the newer Galaxy S3 Tab. Many switched from iPads and found the screen much better, brighter than the iPad Pro. CPU is fast, screen is fantastic, 4GB Ram, on board GPS (great fro waypoints and Litchi as well) and plenty of storage.  I got mine around when Go4 was at 4.2.14 and it worked perfectly. Since 4.2.20 very bad lag and screen digitized and even chopped in blocks. Serious issues with 4.2.20.

Take the Go4 APP back to 4.2.12 or 4.2.14 on Android. Currently 4.2.20 is terrible for many android devices well over spec requirements. Good thing is nobody is suffering from other glitches plaguing iOS right now. Perhaps the DJI teams will get on this sooner. Currently I am on 4.2.14 again and the app is fine. No glitching, scrambling of video feed and I am running cache and have the app video set to 1080 HD feed. S3 handles it like a boss.

Thanks a lot.
That makes me feel confident about this choice.
I do agree an iPad Pro is way overpriced.
At least for what I'm using it for.
2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-3 11:34
Thanks a lot.

For the time being, do not download the Go4 app from the app store. Use the older versions, 4.2.12, 4.2.14 (both are fine for Mavic Pro). 4.2.14 If you also have the Spark.

Apkpure site has them. Before installing, go to Play Store and disable "auto update" on the GO4 app. Now your tablet should stay on 4.2.14 or (.12) and not be as problematic as 4.2.20

iOS and Android have gone through their share of Go4 issues. I also have the mini4, but I really prefer to fly with the S3. Still might need a sun shield on bright days. S3 is a lot brighter than the mini4 by far. i can barely see a thing on a bright day with that device.

Other thing I liked about the S3 is it did not shut down in hot temps as quickly as my iOS devices. I was flying with a friend of mine in SC (Fripp Isl) and his iPad shut down completely. It was about 93 deg, but my S3 ran through a few MP batteries before the tablet warned of overheating. Our family had a 10x10 canopy there so I went under for a few minutes. Grabbed the Spark and flew those 3 batts worth just fine. My buddies Ipad came back on after being cooled a bit.

S3 also works well in cold temps. We had some guys with theirs out in Feb here and it was subfreezing temps 10 deg maybe. Ipads and iPhones did not work properly or had problems in those temps. S3, Note 8, S8 users were all ok.

advantages and disadvantages to all types of mobile devices. iOS is not as fool proof as many say it is, nor is it or the Go4 iOS app free from it's share of bugs as well.
2018-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 12:30
For the time being, do not download the Go4 app from the app store. Use the older versions, 4.2.12, 4.2.14 (both are fine for Mavic Pro). 4.2.14 If you also have the Spark.

Apkpure site has them. Before installing, go to Play Store and disable "auto update" on the GO4 app. Now your tablet should stay on 4.2.14 or (.12) and not be as problematic as 4.2.20

Thanks for the info.
Is it draining the battery of your controller?
2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-3 12:32
Thanks for the info.
Is it draining the battery of your controller?

It will pull some. We did some testing on this in our drone club here. Kind of an average

MP with no device battery drains 1% or so every 1:50
MP with Android device on fast charge mode drains 1% every 55 sec
MP with Android device on slow charge setting (fast charge option disabled) drains 1% every 1:25 sec

I can fly 3 batteries worth on the MP before the RC hits 50% so it's fine really. Just start with your S3 full charged, disable fast charging in power settings.

Guys that fly 5-6 batts worth have separate chargers for their devices (iOS or Android).
2018-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 12:43
It will pull some. We did some testing on this in our drone club here. Kind of an average

MP with no device battery drains 1% or so every 1:50

Ok, that is one downside of the android way I guess.
But manageable when you have a powerbank for changing the RC I think  
2018-7-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Is this going to be dedicated for the MP?  If so maybe consider the CS?  Price about the same and you get a really nice bright screen.  Also should not have the issues that current android devices are having.  Although they did say the issues should be fixed hopefully soon.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-153010-1-1.html

Otherwise if you do get the tablet make sure and stick with DJI GO 4.2.14.  https://apkpure.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4/dji.go.v4
2018-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-3 12:53
Is this going to be dedicated for the MP?  If so maybe consider the CS?  Price about the same and you get a really nice bright screen.  Also should not have the issues that current android devices are having.  Although they did say the issues should be fixed hopefully soon.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-153010-1-1.html

Otherwise if you do get the tablet make sure and stick with DJI GO 4.2.14.  https://apkpure.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4/dji.go.v4

No, my funds are not sufficient for a dedicated device.
I will use it as my notebook also (replacing pencil and paper in my working life)
2018-7-3
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

I've been using the Samsung Tab S3 for about a month now with 0 problems.  
2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-3 13:35
No, my funds are not sufficient for a dedicated device.
I will use it as my notebook also (replacing pencil and paper in my working life)

I use mine for work too. I have disabled or uninstalled a lot of the apps though.  Just some I'd never use.
Another thing is go to Google Pay store for apps you do use, and if it has an auto update disable it.

I got mine at Best Buy as the 128G version w GPS and S Pen. Nice little rig. Fast as my laptop.
2018-7-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Goldchucker Posted at 2018-7-3 21:33
I've been usint the Samsung Tab S3 for about a month now with 0 problems.

Thanks for the info!
2018-7-4
Use props
MagicalNomad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 843241 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-3 11:34
Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know if DJI resolved the issues with Go4 and Samsung S3 as of 4-3-2019 or do we still need to use the 4.2.14 verson of Go 4?

I'm waiting for my S-3 tablet to arrive today after being advised by a DJI authorized reseller that it would work with my Mavic 2. However after reading this forum I'm not sure whether to try the newest version or use the older 4.2.12 or 4.2.14 versions initially.

Thanks
2019-4-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MagicalNomad Posted at 4-23 09:36
Does anyone know if DJI resolved the issues with Go4 and Samsung S3 as of 4-3-2019 or do we still need to use the 4.2.14 verson of Go 4?

I'm waiting for my S-3 tablet to arrive today after being advised by a DJI authorized reseller that it would work with my Mavic 2. However after reading this forum I'm not sure whether to try the newest version or use the older 4.2.12 or 4.2.14 versions initially.

Sorry, can't help you out with that.
IOS user here.
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules