Flying into trees
1932 35 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WALL-e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 502 ft
South Africa

Hi All, has anyone else had their drone fly itself into trees?
My drone had low battery and was trying to return home but it was hovering under trees and it refused to let me cancel the function although I tried multiple times with both the remote and DJI go app on my phone. It then carried on and flew itself into the tree about 8 times and crashed twice before the motors stopped. Is this normal to experiance because I am furious if this is what is the norm. TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY if the drone wont respond to prompts to keep from damaging it!?
2018-7-3
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry to hear about your experience.  Hope this doesn't offend, but this sounds like pilot error where you let it get to low on battery and it went into RTH.  You need to make sure you keep an eye on battery levels while flying and configure your RTH based on where you are flying (trees, buildings and other).  This is just my observation based on information you provided.
2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash. You can contact our support: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav) to open a ticket for the data analysis. They will tell you the information needed. Please send in at your most convenience and our repair center will take care of it when the drone arrives.
2018-7-3
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Yes its normal, as RTH has different mode according to the distance it is from the Homepoint. According to the Setting in the DJI GO4 App it will rise up and come back home.

Maybe you were UNAWARE of these settings / commands. You have also have the option to choose what the Spark will be doing during Failsafe RTH is Triggered (Losing Connection), like Hover, Land where it is, or go to RTH. You can set the height of the RTH too in the App. There are many options as each Scenario is different. Before I you fly I suggest to make a small plan and adjust accordingly. I know its a pain, but these drones look like Toys but are very Complex Machines.

There are 3 RTH Scenarios -

Low Battery RTH - When the Spark has Low Battery the Spark will Return to Home to prevent the battery getting to Critical Low.

Fail Safe RTH - This happens when you lose connection with the Remote (3 seconds) or Phone (20 seconds) - Settings to tell Spark what to do

Smart RTH - This happens when you want to push hold the Button of the Remote for 3 Seconds so that the Spark is FORCED by YOU to Return to Home.

I will send you a video explaining this procedure, last part of the video has some issues with the sound.

2018-7-3
Use props
MartyTravelsTheWorld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394173 ft
Indonesia

That's great info, thanks.
2018-7-3
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Wall-e,

Talk to DJI. You should be able to cancel RTH any moment.

Yes - I did hear from many forum members that cancelling RTH is not possible while Spark is climbing up in RTH procedure. I must admit that I did not test this scenario so I do not know for sure.
However, I do know that if it were true, this would be poor design on DJI part.

If you hit cancel RTH, as you claim you did, DJI should be able to see it in the logs and they should be able to see that Spark did not react. This, in my view, would be basis for warranty claim.

Mirek
2018-7-3
Use props
WALL-e
lvl.1
South Africa

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-3 07:33
Yes its normal, as RTH has different mode according to the distance it is from the Homepoint. According to the Setting in the DJI GO4 App it will rise up and come back home.

Maybe you where UNAWARE of these settings / commands. You have also have the option to choose what the Spark will be when Lower Battery is Triggered, like Hover, Land where it is, or go to RTH. You can set the height of the RTH too in the App. There are many options as each Scenario is different. Before I you fly I suggest to make a small plan and adjust accordingly. I know its a pain, but these drones look like Toys but are very Complex Machines.

Thank you very much
2018-7-3
Use props
WALL-e
lvl.1
South Africa

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-3 10:24
Wall-e,

Talk to DJI. You should be able to cancel RTH any moment.

This was super helpful, thank you. Ive sent it in anyways but your reply has definitely put my mind at ease! Really appreciative
2018-7-3
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

This was your Scenario -

Low Battery RTH:

As its name suggests, this RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to the point that it may affect the return of the aircraft. When this happens, a prompt will appear on your screen in the DJI GO/4 app, and the drone will automatically begin to ascend to the set RTH height and return if no action is taken after a 10-second countdown. If the battery power is critically low, then the drone will automatically land itself, and this can’t be canceled by the pilot. This type of RTH is one that is best avoided, just like pilots of airplanes never want to be in a situation where their fuel light starts blinking.

When you saw the Spark Hovering it was doing the 10 Second Countdown Timer to give you time to Cancel RTH. I wonder how it did not cancel if you where telling it to, as you are Stating.

If thats the case Mirek is right, and it could be a Warranty Claim.

2018-7-3
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Keep in mind the Pause Button, just right of the left toggle, will cancel most any mode you are in.  I have had occasions where the drone went into RTH and I couldn't find or see on the screen where to push to cancel the RTH...or my thumb or finger didn't quite hit it correctly and the RTH never cancelled.  But hitting the pause will always cancel it...immediately.  Get in the practice of sliding your thumb or whatever you use off the toggle to the button...without looking at it.  That way the movement is second nature when you need it.  The pause will cancel all auto modes, too...ever start a circle and realize after it's started circling there's a tree you're going to fly into???  Just push Pause and the drone stops!!!
2018-7-3
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-7-3 18:16
Keep in mind the Pause Button, just right of the left toggle, will cancel most any mode you are in.  I have had occasions where the drone went into RTH and I couldn't find or see on the screen where to push to cancel the RTH...or my thumb or finger didn't quite hit it correctly and the RTH never cancelled.  But hitting the pause will always cancel it...immediately.  Get in the practice of sliding your thumb or whatever you use off the toggle to the button...without looking at it.  That way the movement is second nature when you need it.  The pause will cancel all auto modes, too...ever start a circle and realize after it's started circling there's a tree you're going to fly into???  Just push Pause and the drone stops!!!

Awesome advice m8!!!!!
Thanks!
2018-7-3
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, but pause does not stop atti mode which needs to be piloted.
2018-7-3
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Blellow Posted at 2018-7-3 18:44
Yeah, but pause does not stop atti mode which needs to be piloted.

Yup!!!!
I know it!
Good to remember anyway!
Thanks!
2018-7-3
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Keep in mind the Pause Button, just right of the left toggle, will cancel most any mode you are in.  I have had occasions where the drone went into RTH and I couldn't find or see on the screen where to push to cancel the RTH...or my thumb or finger didn't quite hit it correctly and the RTH never cancelled.  But hitting the pause will always cancel it...immediately.  Get in the practice of sliding your thumb or whatever you use off the toggle to the button...without looking at it.  That way the movement is second nature when you need it.  The pause will cancel all auto modes, too...ever start a circle and realize after it's started circling there's a tree you're going to fly into???  Just push Pause and the drone stops!!!

I am surprised how many drone pilots fly until they are out of fuel.  You would think that watching the battery/fuel level would be an issue with aircraft.

I land my drone with plenty of battery left.  I fly my 15 minute capable RC plane until 11 minutes have passed and then land.  That way I can make several attempts at the runway which is around the barn, over the horse, and stop before the horse fence.

A Spark landing.gif
2018-7-3
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Keep in mind the Pause Button, just right of the left toggle, will cancel most any mode you are in.  I have had occasions where the drone went into RTH and I couldn't find or see on the screen where to push to cancel the RTH...or my thumb or finger didn't quite hit it correctly and the RTH never cancelled.  But hitting the pause will always cancel it...immediately.  Get in the practice of sliding your thumb or whatever you use off the toggle to the button...without looking at it.  That way the movement is second nature when you need it.  The pause will cancel all auto modes, too...ever start a circle and realize after it's started circling there's a tree you're going to fly into???  Just push Pause and the drone stops!!!

Thanks for this Advise Rustic !

Much Obligated !

2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-3 21:51
I am surprised how many drone pilots fly until they are out of fuel.  You would think that watching the battery/fuel level would be an issue with aircraft.

I land my drone with plenty of battery left.  I fly my 15 minute capable RC plane until 11 minutes have passed and then land.  That way I can make several attempts at the runway which is around the barn, over the horse, and stop before the horse fence.

I agree with you Gunship !

Its better safe than sorry, having more battery gives you time to do change of Plans if something happens, last week I was reading on flying on Water, and many have advised to do a Plan, do the Shoots and return ASAP just incase you are caught in a difficult situation like change of wind direction / force etc... you never know what can happen next.

This Pilot seems to be a New Drone Pilot. I think she never thought this could happen.

Thanks for all the Useful Help Gunship !

2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Who gets 15 minutes

Most I ever got was 12.5 minutes

Agreed. Always get the craft back by at least 15% or you will risk lowering the efficiency & charge retention of the battery over time.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-4 04:13
Who gets 15 minutes

Most I ever got was 12.5 minutes

Well said PMShop !

When you say get it back by 15% you mean setting the Low Battery Indicator to 15% ? If so there will be just 5% until it goes to Critical and it Autolands.

If I set it to 30% isn't it better and safer PMshop, as most do ? I don't really love to risk.

Thank you for the Help !

2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 04:19
Well said PMShop !

When you say get it back by 15% you mean setting the Low Battery Indicator to 15% ? If so there will be just 5% until it goes to Critical and it Autolands.

I mean going beyond.
Yes you get the default warning at 30% - means to me, wrap it up.
Then you get the RTH at about 20% - Hello, I'm hungry and coming home.

This is where some will hit the pause, switch into or out of Sport to stop the RTH, or cancel from the get go.
Sometimes I need that extra 5% when I am catching an awesome sunrise/ sunset.
Don't change any settings, just monitor and land by 15%

But not after that, I bring her in.

The ones I speak to are the 3% or less pilots.
Saw one video come in at 70 seconds past 00:00 on the timer.
Yes it is only a $50 battery.
But they are asking for unstable activity including in flight onboard fire.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-4 04:32
I mean going beyond.
Yes you get the default warning at 30% - means to me, wrap it up.
Then you get the RTH at about 20% - Hello, I'm hungry and coming home.

Thank you PMshop for your Good Advice. I will set it to 30%.

So when I need to cancel RTH I press the Pause Button ? Just 1 Press or Hold it for a Few Seconds ?

Do I press the 'PAUSE' during the 10 Second Timer PMshop ? or when the RTH begins ?

Thank you !

2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 04:36
Thank you PMshop for your Good Advice. I will set it to 30%.

Yes, just press the pause to stop RTH
This will not stop "Landing"

Pause is for when RTH is active.
Tap cancel during the 10 second countdown.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-4 04:55
Yes, just press the pause to stop RTH
This will not stop "Landing"

Thank you for the time to Explain PMshop ! I will keep it in Mind.

Soon I will setup my Spark !

So Obligated to You ! Thanks a lot for all this Help ! Your very kind Mate !
2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 05:01
Thank you for the time to Explain PMshop ! I will keep it in Mind.

Soon I will setup my Spark !

No problem
And you do not have to set anything up we discussed.
By default:
Low battery warning is set to 30%
RTH battery is set to 20%
And landing critically low is set to 10%
2018-7-4
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-3 07:33

Maybe you were UNAWARE of these settings / commands. You have also have the option to choose what the Spark will be doing during Failsafe RTH is Triggered (Losing Connection), like Hover, Land where it is, or go to RTH. You can set the height of the RTH too in the App. There are many options as each Scenario is different. Before I you fly I suggest to make a small plan and adjust accordingly. I know its a pain, but these drones look like Toys but are very Complex Machines.

The only RTH function I found in the Spark menus was RTH at current altitude. I know my Standard has multiple RTH options, but looked to me like Current Altitude is the only one for Spark beside user choice altitude. this would be the setting to use if flying in trees without GPS and in Atti mode.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-4 05:25
No problem
And you do not have to set anything up we discussed.
By default:

So I will leave them all as Default !

Your the Champion Man ! Thats why I like you so much as you make it Short and Simple !

2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

stuka75 Posted at 2018-7-4 05:44
The only RTH function I found in the Spark menus was RTH at current altitude. I know my Standard has multiple RTH options, but looked to me like Current Altitude is the only one for Spark beside user choice altitude. this would be the setting to use if flying in trees without GPS and in Atti mode.

Dear Stuka,

If you watch the Video Tutorial you will understand that the Spark does different RTH according to the distance you are in.

Eg. If the Spark is closer than 3m from Homepoint Recorded, and you Press RTH, it will just Land at its Current Position.

Let me post something that can help you, I will search for the Flow Chart.

2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 06:02
Dear Stuka,

If you watch the Video Tutorial you will understand that the Spark does different RTH according to the distance you are in.

And if you take off after it says home point updated and go up straight for 30ft (10m) I think it is...when you RTH, it will perform a "precision landing" and land exactly where it took off from using the VPS underneath.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-4 06:06
And if you take off after it says home point updated and go up straight for 30ft (10m) I think it is...when you RTH, it will perform a "precision landing" and land exactly where it took off from using the VPS underneath.

I will try to avoid RTH as much as possible and fly back with Sports Mode Manually.

2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

stuka75 Posted at 2018-7-4 05:44

Dear Stuka this may help you, a friend of mine did it some time ago will we where having a Discussion on RTH -

It will help you and other Pilots, understand the Complex RTH Logic of the DJI Spark.

2018-7-4
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 06:21
Dear Stuka this may help you, a friend of mine did it some time ago will we where having a Discussion on RTH -

It will help you and other Pilots, understand the Complex RTH Logic of the DJI Spark.

Thanks, the flow chart lays it out nicely.
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

stuka75 Posted at 2018-7-4 09:26
Thanks, the flow chart lays it out nicely.

You are Welcome Buddy.
2018-7-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-3 21:51

I still am upset that the LOW BATTERY audio alert doesn't work anymore for my iPhone 6S...it did originally and then went away...many others have the same issue.  It was real handy to remind you to start thinking about heading back.
2018-7-4
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Pause button stops any procedure immediately after pressed. No need to hold.

It stops countdown to RTH, it stops any tracking, it stops RTH.

I am not sure if it will stop Spark while it is climbing in RTH mode. Some forum members said in the past that it does not. I will check next time I fly.

Checked! It does cancel climbing as well.
Mirek
2018-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-4 06:21
Dear Stuka this may help you, a friend of mine did it some time ago will we where having a Discussion on RTH -

You've left out, to me, the most important range of 3-20 meters. I think a lot of people overlook selecting return at current altitude which can easily result in disaster.  For example, you don't check return at current altitude and are bringing your Spark back for that all important, low altitude, cinematic return over water. If RTH initiates because of low battery and you're 3-20 meters out, Sparky lands automatically.  Oops, Sparky got wet.  Or landed in the rocks, if you're returning over land.  

Your diamond labelled RTH At Altitude Checked needs to have a YES option and only applies to 3-20 meters...as does the next diamond.
2018-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Someone else did all the work on this and posted it...can't remember who.  Note the Lands Where Is result occurs in three options and think about what your Spark might be auto landing into when you are flying 3-20 meters out.
2018-7-5
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-7-5 14:48
You've left out, to me, the most important range of 3-20 meters. I think a lot of people overlook selecting return at current altitude which can easily result in disaster.  For example, you don't check return at current altitude and are bringing your Spark back for that all important, low altitude, cinematic return over water. If RTH initiates because of low battery and you're 3-20 meters out, Sparky lands automatically.  Oops, Sparky got wet.  Or landed in the rocks, if you're returning over land.  

Your diamond labelled RTH At Altitude Checked needs to have a YES option and only applies to 3-20 meters...as does the next diamond.

I had no idea about this.....this seems like critical information. Many thanks!
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules