Could video lag be caused by cable?
1483 14 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Canefan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88074 ft

Until recently I was flying my MA using my Pixel 2 and the included short cable to connect the phone to the controller.  Honestly, the lag was minimal and I didn’t really see what all the fuss was about.  Yesterday, I purchased an iPad Mini 4 which is too big to use the included (very) short cable.  The only cable that I had in the house was a 3 foot lightening to usb cable which I used to connect the tablet to the USB port on the controller.  Up we went, loving the bigger display..... but, whoa... the lag was ridiculous.  I was maybe 50 ft up and 100 ft away, aiming at cars driving on the street below.  The cars were moving in a jerky stuttering fashion like many of the video examples I’ve seen in the threads complaining about this topic.  Went back to my phone (Android) with the shorter cable, and the lag was all but gone.  It makes me wonder if the longer (and possibly lower quality) cable is contributing to the lag.  I’m going to try to find a 6 inch braided cable today to see if that improves things.  
2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Yes, it could be the cable itself or the mobile device you are using that caused video lag. Let us know if the problem is still the same after using a different USB cable.
2018-7-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can be one of many possible reasons but usually it's caused by interference, the device you are using or the SD card.
2018-7-3
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4

A CW Posted at 2018-7-3 06:55
It can be one of many possible reasons but usually it's caused by interference, the device you are using or the SD card.

Well, I wasn't recording so it's not the SD card.  The device is the latest and greatest iPad Mini 4 so it's hard to imagine that's the problem.  I was on a 5ghz channel with no interference showing so that leads me to believe it's the cable.  
2018-7-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Canefan Posted at 2018-7-3 07:04
Well, I wasn't recording so it's not the SD card.  The device is the latest and greatest iPad Mini 4 so it's hard to imagine that's the problem.  I was on a 5ghz channel with no interference showing so that leads me to believe it's the cable.

In that case swap the cable out - use the one that came with the iPad as a test. Then you'll know for sure.
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Canefan Posted at 2018-7-3 07:04
Well, I wasn't recording so it's not the SD card.  The device is the latest and greatest iPad Mini 4 so it's hard to imagine that's the problem.  I was on a 5ghz channel with no interference showing so that leads me to believe it's the cable.

Many have changed cables and this has shown real improvement, although many say it won’t make a difference, I have found that always if I don’t switch to airplane mode I get problems particularly up at close quarters.
2018-7-3
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Kill all apps on memory before start DJI Go. Too many apps running on background can cause problem. Airplane mode also prevent background update running.
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Could be a case of badly manufactured cable.  Could be a case of overall poor quality cable design.   Could be a cable that has been damaged.  
Lot of could bes.   Get a different  (preferably known quality / good) cable, and try again.  
2018-7-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

in my experience, yes a bad cable (or cheap crumby cable)  or a cable beginning to fail will suffer really interesting glitches.  

here are a list of glitches i seen from bad/broken/cheap/abused cables:

laggy video feed

smeary quality video

incorrect signal values

no obstacle avoidance or incorrect aviodance

randomly RTH triggering from app failing to communicate and showing aircraft disconnected (mostly a spark and probably mavic air thing, mavic pro just sits there for 10 seconds before RTHing)

command time outs

changes to settings failing to actually work..
2018-7-3
Use props
Schuffd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74990 ft
Ireland

Just a quick question. What is the difference between the two connections? will it be better using the backside port to connect the phone or the one on the left side of the remote?
2018-7-3
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
United States

Schuffd Posted at 2018-7-3 09:13
Just a quick question. What is the difference between the two connections? will it be better using the backside port to connect the phone or the one on the left side of the remote?

Verdict is in.  Went to the apple store and got a high quality cable 0.5m in length.  When used with my new iPad Mini 4 there was absolutely no lag whatsoever.  Flawless flight...no errors...nothing.  Again, with my other 3ft cable I had incredible lag and video degradation.  New cable perfect.  I can’t say whether it’s the better cable quality, or the shorter length that caused the improvement, but it’s a huge difference.
2018-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Canefan Posted at 2018-7-4 15:31
Verdict is in.  Went to the apple store and got a high quality cable 0.5m in length.  When used with my new iPad Mini 4 there was absolutely no lag whatsoever.  Flawless flight...no errors...nothing.  Again, with my other 3ft cable I had incredible lag and video degradation.  New cable perfect.  I can’t say whether it’s the better cable quality, or the shorter length that caused the improvement, but it’s a huge difference.

Good job, this might encourage others to fly with best cable they can find, sometimes its the simplest things that catch us out.
2018-7-4
Use props
Schuffd
lvl.4
Ireland

So using the Port with that cable on the back or the one on the left Side?
2018-7-5
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
United States

Schuffd Posted at 2018-7-5 07:10
So using the Port with that cable on the back or the one on the left Side?

I used the full sized USB port on the bottom of the RC.  I've flown several more times since yesterday's post and the video feed is flawless.  I wonder if the two ports really are equivalent in terms of data transmission speed.  It also seems to make sense that a shorter cable can transmit massive amounts of data faster than a longer cable but I don't know that for a fact.  In any event, your mileage may vary but my woes are cured.... for now.
2018-7-5
Use props
Schuffd
lvl.4
Ireland

Ok brilliant. I only have the original  USB to Lightning cable but ill give it a try. Thanks for the advise.

2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules