Back from service test flight - ZERO ISSUES!
1315 17 2015-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I just got my main bird back from service and yeah the wait is long but the quality of the repair and attention to detail is spot on.

It went in for couple things that I knew would be easy to identify by the technicians althought I had a small list of production related issues that I wanted to address but was afraid that it would end up in a "no problem found" or a long drawn out email batle of whats right and whats wrong etc. Pleasantly when I got it back I gave it a thourough looking over and the tech had addressed everything I had sent it in for, PLUS all but one of the little issues I had on my own list that I was going to take care of myself when it got back.

Also in the attention to detail area right before I had sent it in I had done a shoot at a baseball stadium for my sons baseball league for a promo video and I had kicked up a bunch of dust and it stuck to all of the dampners and soft parts. When I got it back all of it was cleaned and spotless! I had thought for a moment that it was a different bird but I had two scratches on it plus double stick from my GPS transponder still barely noticable from the tight location it was originally mounted in.

Yes I wish the lead and processing time was quicker but other than that, beautiful service!!!

I took it out yesterday for a test flight at Tulloch Lake and did a couple passes and tests in GPS mode and then got a little gutsy and decided to test what I could do in smoothness of control in Atti mode. Now I have flown non-gps enabled quads for over a year prior to my I1 but I have gotten spoiled by the I1. Flight conditions was cloudy but glarey (wish I had my ND filters with me) and very windy (small gusts but mostly steady up to 25-30mph)

Let me clarify for the safety nazi's I was in a state park controlled boat launch, campground and marina and before I took flight I checked with park officals, security, and the ranger and all gave me the green light as long as I stayed 150ft above the dam (which was about 1.5 miles out from my position), stayed away from the power lines that were just to the east of my  position and the lake residential community just to the south of my position. Other than that it was "Have fun, be safe and thank you for asking first".

At about 1:50 in the video I took off after a beautiful V-Cat power marine boat. I started in GPS mode but he acellerated much faster than GPS was going to let me go so I switched back to Atti and you can see some of the issues I had keeping pace with him, especially once he started turning. lol. All in all the majority of this video was shot in Atti mode and the dam and boat chase scenes were about 3/4 - 1 mile out from my position.  But all in all zero complaints.

I know that being a service tech is a thankless job so I can only hope that maybe one of them might read this, but thank you.

2015-5-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have forwarded your comments to Service Manager and the Director of Operations.  Nice video.  Did you check how fast you were going in chasing the Cat?
2015-5-18
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-19 03:30
I have forwarded your comments to Service Manager and the Director of Operations.  Nice video.  Did  ...

If I had to guess he was doing about 50 at peak (limit on the lake) and I was in a good tail wind but had a hell of a time pacing him, lol.
2015-5-18
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Loved the video!!!  And good to read a positive post about someones experience dealing with DJI Service. I personally haven't needed to use their service yet, but when I do I won't be as anxious.
2015-5-18
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Nice flying SQnut and thanks for the positivity. My bird is still away for repairs and, being an optimist, I am hoping that I have the same experience as you when I get it back. As has been stated plenty around here,  the wait times are frustrating. From my perspective, the lack of communication is worse as I don't know what to expect. DJI, if you are looking for a role model for customer service, check out Starbucks. They have it right at the corporate level. Sure not every store gets it right, and not every customer ends up happy, but their overall approach to customer service is some of the best in all of the business world. I look forward to when the customer service is as awesome as the hardware. Also, I agree with SQnut, Thanks to the techs that are fixing our birds. :-)
2015-5-18
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-5-19 05:17
Nice flying SQnut and thanks for the positivity. My bird is still away for repairs and, being an opt ...

I don't think anybody would be "excited" to have to send anything back to a service department. Sorry to hear your bird is still awaiting repair.  However I personally feel pretty optomistic that when you get it back it will be done right and probably even more.

The way I look at it is  if its taken care of and the technicians treat it and take care of the problem like its their own then I'd say compared to other companies I have had to send things back for service, were heading in the right direction.   
2015-5-18
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

How long did it take for your repairs?

My Inspire was delivered at the repair center two weeks ago and has not yet been checked in.

Today I tried to call about sending my 3-month old Phantom 2V+ in because the WiFi module stopped working (no live-view on my mobile), and the automated answering system said there were 21 people ahead of me. I just hung up. I sent an email and left a request on the Zendesk system and after 24 hours, no response. Not even an automated confirmation.

These are signs of an overwhelmed support infrastructure.
2015-5-18
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Was about a week check in and 6 weeks processing...
2015-5-18
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

Thrilled to hear of your experience and even happier to see the fruits of their labors!!

Great video! Looks like it was a good day on the lake

I once had a wonderful encounter with a motor yacht off the coast of So Cal, but in my haste I corrupted the file. I have yet to go through the steps of trying to repair it, but I am optimistic it can be done.

Glad you're back in the air!
2015-5-18
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get mine tomorrow after a 8 week wait. (7 weeks and 5 days to be exact and that is door to door) VERY happy to hear that the wait will be worth it.
2015-5-18
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

That's good to know
2015-5-18
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-5-19 10:06
How long did it take for your repairs?

My Inspire was delivered at the repair center two weeks ago ...

Abe, Mine took just over two weeks to get checked in. It's been 5 weeks now and I have not heard anything. I have sent messages and called, but absolutely no info except, keep waiting. It makes me think that they send the birds back to China for repair. I am on the west coast of the U.S. and sent it to L.A. Tracking info told me that it only took a day to arrive... what is that extra two weeks for? and... why did the guy at the help desk tell me that he can't tell me anything that I can't see in the messaging system? I guess it's not really a big deal, but it would be nice to know what is happening so I can manage my expectations.

Would be interested to find out how long yours takes.
2015-5-19
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-5-20 14:59
Abe, Mine took just over two weeks to get checked in. It's been 5 weeks now and I have not heard a ...

In my mind I see a dozen DJI technicians, each working one aircraft at a time, and behind them extends a warehouse 2 Km long with boxes 50-count wide, 30 high and 5,000 deep. Yours and my Inspires are sitting 1.8 kilometers away, near the bottom of the pile, waiting to be checked in.

There. Now we can both manage our expectations.
2015-5-20
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-5-20 22:04
In my mind I see a dozen DJI technicians, each working one aircraft at a time, and behind them ext ...

Thanks Abe. I just got an email from DJI saying that my bird has been fixed and is on it's way home. I'll post an update once I get it and do a couple of test flights.

btw: they said they did the latest update, but I still have batteries at home. Do I need to update those manually somehow? or do they update once I plug them in to an updated bird? ~ thnx.
2015-5-27
Use props
vishaltale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 678432 ft
India

loved your video
2015-5-27
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-5-28 03:38
Thanks Abe. I just got an email from DJI saying that my bird has been fixed and is on it's way hom ...

They said the same about mine when I got it back. Had to update all of my batteries otherwise the app kept flashing "Firmware update needed".

Once I did that.  no issues.
2015-5-27
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-28 04:05
They said the same about mine when I got it back. Had to update all of my batteries otherwise the  ...

Well, I couldn't get as lucky as you.

All started well, but as I was updating a battery, I lost video feed and can't get it back... grrrrr.

I've posted for help, but suppose I will have to call them on Monday. Fingers crossed.
2015-5-30
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Good to hear a positive experience with regards to servicing and repair. Let us all hope that this becomes the norm instead of the exception. Great video too
2015-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules