Now, It's EPIC - New Zealand
6227 36 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ManAndDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3538297 ft
  • >>>

Hey everyone! I’m sharing some of my travel work & tips and tricks as I feel it definitely encompasses the ‘EPIC’ travel category and sharing information is important for the community. I really like some of the knowledge shared so far, here’s a few things I’ve learnt along the way.

Plan Your Trip in Advance

Where are you going? Know that the Northern Hemisphere is opposite to Southern for seasonality. Watch out for Monsoon / Rain Seasons in tropical areas.
Brush up on the country’s culture, do’s and don’ts you can find these easily in something like a ‘Lonely Planet’ guidebook or online.
Network with other forum members or people you know that have been before and could give you advice, anything to save you time.
Buy a data sim card in the country you visit or make sure you have a data plan abroad so you can easily navigate a ‘maps’ app whilst driving around.
Dress and pack accordingly to destination. You can see what I take abroad with rationale here : www.kit.com/mananddrone

Traveling with a Drone

My top advice is to make sure you own a set of ND Filters, what are they? They basically act as sunglasses so will help with keeping sun glare off water and helping us achieve a 180 degree shutter speed. As a rule of thumb I’ll always shoot a shutter at double my frame rate for more of a cinematic feel.
Research the locations you plan to shoot, check whether you need permission and clear your ideas with the local authorities before flying.
The Golden Hours are always a nice time to drone as you will see some nice colours my favourite is the morning during sunrise as there’s hardly any people around. Bright Sunny Days on Islands are great as the colours will be vivid just make sure you have your ND / Polarisers.
If you’re flying abroad you should declare your drone upon check-in, they may want to inspect the Batteries as will the security team. Use Lipo safe carrying bags for added security.

Getting to our Locations

Now that we have powerful tools such as Google Maps we can plan our destination hotspots in advanced. I like to use ‘Google My Maps’ for things such as route planning for Iceland. It’s great because you can add photos and descriptions and share with others. I usually do this for every country I visit, here’s an example map I’ve created : https://goo.gl/LXD4WS
If I goto a developed country I will almost always hire a car to get about having researched good prices beforehand online, all companies will want a credit card so make sure you have one of those. Very few care hire companies will accept just debit cards and if they do be prepared for a big pre-authorization charge.
If the trip is around 4-6 months then I would consider buying a car and selling before leaving. I’ve found this to be fairly straight forward and have done this 3 times already, the internet and local adverts at supermarkets or hostels usually help. Word of Mouth is also my favourite so get networking.

Timing & Conditions

If you shoot enough material odds are you can pick something usable out of it. If I goto a country for 3 weeks I’ll shoot lots of footage at different times of the day over the duration and perhaps only 30-40% of it is usable for what I want to share. I personally love shooting Golden Hours such as before, during & after Sunrise / Sunset.
If you want to shoot such conditions make sure you give yourself enough time before to arrive on time without rushing things, give yourself plenty of time to setup.
There’s plenty of other opportunity other than ‘Golden Hours’ to film or photograph, a good photographer should be able to produce masterful shots at any given time of day. If it’s super bright - great! Start using those ND’s Filters.
Weather plays a huge part in whether or not we can fly. I always use the best local forecasting website which is dedicated to that country. Using something like BBC weather or Accuweather will not be accurate enough for me. If it’s above 40 degrees C you might want to take caution as things could overheat in such temperatures. Anything Colder than -10c could play havoc with the drone’s batteries so always be aware of temperatures where you are.

Electricity on the Road

Perhaps you’ve planned a big trip which features remote locations but you only have X amount of batteries. Have you thought about how you’re going to recharge your equipment? Solar Power isn’t really going to cut it unless you have a huge panel setup. If my mode of transport is car I will utilise various car charger devices or a power inverter. Some drone batteries are too juicy for basic currents drawn from the dc port so do your research to evaluate. So far I’ve used a full-sin wave 300w Powerbright inverter off various vehicle’s dc port and it’s worked fine for Phantom3, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 Batteries, anything more seems to be too much. If my work is more serious I will do a recon of nearby cafes, campsites or service stations where mains electricity is likely to be.
Generators are another option but are quite noisy so I would only suggest using something like this if you’re very remote. My preferred choice would be a large power bank such as a GoalZero Yeti, which should see you achieve several drone battery charges.
Don’t forget to bring travel adapters with you as different countries will have different sockets. I have an adapter that adjusts for anywhere you can check here : https://amzn.to/2ILQn2p

Insurance

I will always take-out a travel insurance policy that covers me for medical incidents and lost baggage etc, this is very important and I always recommend this. I’ve been to tropical countries on numerous occasions where even the slightest of cuts can get infected and require hospital treatment. The same goes for severe food poising and similar liabilities. Again read the terms & conditions thoroughly so you know what you’re buying. I’ll always go for the ZERO excess option and add-on additional adventure packages such as emergency helicopter lifts from certain altitudes if hiking is on the cards, know the altitude limits and policy restrictions. Having said this, some countries have reciprocal agreements with other countries for things like medical accidents or emergency such as countries of the EU, Australia, New Zealand & UK so bare that in mind. If you aren’t a North American resident and plan on traveling to USA or Canada then you should definitely consider insurance as medical costs could be very high.
Packaged tours and holidays might include their own insurance so you might want to clarify this before you book anything.

All of my equipment is insured on a separate worldwide policy. It covers me for 365 days for only £330 per annum with up-to £10k worth of camera gear including laptops and expensive cameras / drones. Always read the terms & conditions thoroughly when choosing your equipment insurance, if somethings not to your liking you can usually talk with your representative and see if they can work something out with you. Anyone residing in the UK can PM me for more information on this.

Dress & Prepare for the Conditions

Be prepared to dress for the occasion. When I travel to countries with alpine regions I have to bring all my tough outdoors gear. If i’m in Sub-Tropical or Tropical environments then it’s much easier, I’ll just pack the shorts and T-shirts.
If you're out on a long day-trip you might want to consider meal & snack preparation the day before. I'll always carry some extra energy bars & fruit around as you never know.
If I'm doing a big hike I'll want at least 3 litres of water and tablets that can purify a water source incase I'm caught short, other than that I'll always carry a bottle of water around with me.

I’ve made things real easy for everyone - All my gear that I use with clear rationale can be seen over at www.kit.com/mandanddrone  I’ve created 4 sections to break things down further. ‘My Camera Gear’, ‘My Outdoor Gear’, ‘My Editing Gear’ & ‘My Sound Gear’. If you have time check it out.

As always you can see all of my videos etc over on https://www.youtube.com/mananddrone, https://www.vimeo.com/mananddrone and Instagram.

Cheers & Have Fun with it all.. That’s the most important thing.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-7-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice pictures. The top one reminds me of "Potato Chip Rock" in San Diego.

https://www.google.com/search?q= ... iw=1920&bih=963

But good lord that's a lot of gear. You can't possibly travel with all of that can you?
2018-7-3
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-3 19:48
Nice pictures. The top one reminds me of "otato Chip Rock" in San Diego.

https://www.google.com/search?q=potato+chip+rock&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGgYLUxITcAhVEuVkKHUY6BKkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=963

It's actually in Norway
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

you always amazed me!!
2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Outstanding job!
EPIC!
Thanks for sharing!
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great thread - thumbs up
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The last still is amazing   
2018-7-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice entry
2018-7-4
Use props
ManAndDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-3 19:48
Nice pictures. The top one reminds me of "otato Chip Rock" in San Diego.

https://www.google.com/search?q=potato+chip+rock&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGgYLUxITcAhVEuVkKHUY6BKkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=963

I Googled Potato Chip Rock man.. Damn that one looks Good to Break ... Would be tempting fate with that one too for sure!

Yeah gear... Hmmm you get used to it although two bags would be nicer. Much easier with the Mavic Air now

Cheers
2018-7-4
Use props
ManAndDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI Grace Posted at 2018-7-4 02:21
you always amazed me!!

Cheers Grace! As always thanks heaps for the feature !
2018-7-4
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

A CW Posted at 2018-7-4 07:28
The last still is amazing

I totally agree - stunning!
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Absolutely - one of the best stills I’ve seen on here
2018-7-4
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

very good entry! and video!
2018-7-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

nice job buddy like it
2018-7-5
Use props
EskildS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 111650 ft
Norway

Amazing
2018-7-6
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

Beautiful work!
2018-7-6
Use props
djiuser_9V6ybDnHHzfy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31191 ft

Awesome footage...Thank you.
2018-7-8
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11597195 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very beautiful, very professional. Thanks for sharing your experience.
2018-7-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dude!  You just CRASHED this contest!  Great stuff....hard to compete against such great content and quality...top notch!  
2018-7-9
Use props
ManAndDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-7-9 14:07
Dude!  You just CRASHED this contest!  Great stuff....hard to compete against such great content and quality...top notch!

Cheers buddy appreciate the kudos! Thanks for checking it out!
2018-7-9
Use props
Jesper2142
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2169 ft
Netherlands

RESPECT- From the beginning to the end i had goosebumps.
Verry nice dude This movies made my mind drift away. Keep up the good work
2018-7-10
Use props
Krrisstoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1725610 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I love New Zealand. I have to go there one day. The landscape is fabulous.
2018-7-12
Use props
fans43b357d9
lvl.1
Chile

Beautiful footage!!
2018-7-12
Use props
The Introvert Speaks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great stuff!....
2018-7-16
Use props
The Introvert Speaks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great stuff!....
2018-7-16
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Excellent Tutorial and Amazing Pictures / Footage ! You are Very Courageous Mate to get so near the Edges !
2018-7-21
Use props
Timmy B
New
United States

Google maps is an invaluable tool... this site also adds for a professional prospective:

https://www.locationscout.net

2018-7-25
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Wow that’s just totally awesome   
2018-7-27
Use props
SaCameron
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66391 ft
New Zealand

Beautiful video of a beautiful country.  You are very good and this is great work, mate.

I live in NZ and aspire to shoot the kind of video you do - but sadly my Mavic Pro descended into the ocean with 10% battery.  As there is no NZ based support or repair facility - I sent to Australia, and for 6 months have been trying to get it back, without success.  They wont repair and I have to pay $$ to get the broken drone back (under warranty..)  I would advise if you are in NZ to wait until there is NZ support before purchasing DJI.  Great tech, but God help you when it breaks.

cheers
scott
NZ
2018-7-30
Use props
donthaveanyidea
lvl.4

great job
2018-8-3
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Thank you for sharing !
2018-8-8
Use props
DJI Forum admin
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, don't forget to check your prize of Travel Campaign! The code has sent to you by email. Hope you enjoy it!
2018-8-28
Use props
William Hartnell
lvl.1

Australia

This happens sometimes but, I guess it is not from the device, it might be from network service, some told me the same issue similar to yours, I use that opportunity to link him to a site last week, and thereafter he got a result, that would amazing if you will give it a try. Check it out. https://testelium.com/
2018-12-6
Use props
Barbera
New

Ukraine

Once was in New Zeland. For more familiarity with the sights of New Zealand and nature, I used the services of car rental  https://www.carngo.com/car-rental/new-zealandhttps://www.carngo.com/car-rental/new-zealand
2019-5-10
Use props
CEO CARNGO
New

Ukraine

carngo.com

Best car rental locations in New Zealand
2019-9-1
Use props
CEO CARNGO
New

Ukraine

carngo.com
2019-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Very nicely done,  all that gear though looks very heavy,  but obviously worth it.
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules