Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal drop on P4A
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136463 ft
Canada

Hello,

Likely this issue has been repeated many times in a number of many threads. So here goes:

The issue is the gimbal dropping while in flight and happens when switched to video. Photo is stable but gimbal drop continues once video has been engaged. Photos then drop too.
Last weekend I saw it drop twice in video. Brought the drone in immediately yet it did not repeat in subsequent flights. Today in 30 seconds the gimbal dropped 6 times - dropped then levelled. I am really not sure if a firmware update will do the trick. Too many freak outs from pilots over firmware updates. I understand there is a new firmware update with pano. Question is: is it really the fix?

Yes I could try a gimbal reset such as tipping the drone in its rear when beginning. The interesting part is software: either it works or it doesn't. A rhetotical question: partial breakdown is usually associated with mechanical failue and not fully failed until the mechanical part is done - a progressivley worsening mechanical failure or a software failure?. Maybe???

I would like a course of action. I am guessing it would be and in order: 1 - calibrate the gimbal. 2 - refresh the current firmware and calibrate the gimbal. 3 - Update the firmware and calibrate the gimbal. And yes, I will not calibrate the compass unless absolutely required.

I checked the last flght log and no errors. The video is short, about 4 MB and shows the "flopping" of the camera.

Full batteries  - AC and RC.  AC and RC versions below.
Going to try the three steps I wrote with a short flight for each.

Purchased drone in February 2018 as new. No crashes or hard landings. No moisture issues or rough handling. 14 KM flown.

PS: FYI: Precision take off and RTH resulted in a 4 meter horizontal dispcrepancy. Satellite count and locks would likely be the culprit. Today only.

Thoughts?

2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry to read the troubles. Just to verify, the aircraft firmware is V01.00.0128, right? Could you upload some original videos of the SD card for further analysis? We'd like to check the current status and see whether it can be figured out remotely. Thanks in advance!
2018-7-3
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

Hi Susan,

Tried to upload a 270MB file and no go. Seems it would take all night if there is any success. Symptom: the gimbal would drop then level repeatedly until the video record mode was turned off. I did a gimbal calibration with the drone on its rear arms. Have not flown but strongly suspect nothing will change.

There was nothing amiss for a long time and only just started in the past weeks. If there is a chance to get the beta then my account is rikardo67@yahoo.com. When I ran the DJI 2 assistant nothing was listed as a downgrade. The firmware version you wrote above is correct.

The plan would be to fly again but with step 2, I cannot downgrade or refresh the firmware in DJI Assistant 2 - no options. The question is if I do a firmware upgrade, will I be able to revert? Please send the bin file to my account.

Thank you
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-4 17:17
Hi Susan,

Tried to upload a 270MB file and no go. Seems it would take all night if there is any success. Symptom: the gimbal would drop then level repeatedly until the video record mode was turned off. I did a gimbal calibration with the drone on its rear arms. Have not flown but strongly suspect nothing will change.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll forward to the designated team and add you to the list, please check 1-2 business days later.
Regarding the video upload, it is recommended uploading to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link here, we'll help to check.
BTW, please click the reply button under my message so that I can get the reminder and handle it timely, thanks so much!
2018-7-4
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-4 19:42
Thanks for the clarification. I'll forward to the designated team and add you to the list, please check 1-2 business days later.
Regarding the video upload, it is recommended uploading to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link here, we'll help to check.
BTW, please click the reply button under my message so that I can get the reminder and handle it timely, thanks so much!

Hello DJI Susan.

Here is the link to the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wdg8f ... _CVVRJ-UaMFDLa?dl=0

Thanks
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-5 15:29
Hello DJI Susan.

Received with thanks! I'll forward to our engineers for review.
2018-7-8
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1288885 ft
United States

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-5 15:29
Hello DJI Susan.

I dont see the gimbal dropping in this video.  If your problem is a dropping camera in mid flight, I experienced the same thing. Support contacted me and had me calibrate the gimbal 5 times and so far it has not happened again. Just did a job on Saturday that I ran thru 3 batteries back to back and the camera never fell once
2018-7-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-9 16:41
I dont see the gimbal dropping in this video.  If your problem is a dropping camera in mid flight, I experienced the same thing. Support contacted me and had me calibrate the gimbal 5 times and so far it has not happened again. Just did a job on Saturday that I ran thru 3 batteries back to back and the camera never fell once

Did they tell you like that specific to do it 5 times or did it just solve the fifth time done?
Was it just done the regular way or also in the upright standing position?
2018-7-9
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-9 22:30
Did they tell you like that specific to do it 5 times or did it just solve the fifth time done?
Was it just done the regular way or also in the upright standing position?

IHi Ssanb,

I was never intructed. What I did the calibrate the gimbal in the  upright position and... have not flown again due to weather. It also appeqrs I may have uploaded an incorrect video. Will change tomorrow - sorry for the inconvenience on my behalf as I have been far too busy.

Once I have uploaded the correct video and have flown again, I will let you know.

Thanks Susan
2018-7-10
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1288885 ft
United States

Hi, I just had it on my desktop without it tilted and did auto calibration of the gimbal either 5 or 6 times back to back... Flew it at an event the next day for over an hour and no problems happened with the gimbal camera dropping in flight.
2018-7-11
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-8 23:38
Received with thanks! I'll forward to our engineers for review.

Hi Susan,

I apologize for the typos in the last message. It was written in a very small dialog box on my phone. I uploaded the wrong file so here are the drone file and cached file links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmt5tigfyjrnb89/DJI_0027.MP4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb6hcd ... 3_17_14_48.mp4?dl=0

Thanks
2018-7-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-11 15:31
Hi Susan,

I apologize for the typos in the last message. It was written in a very small dialog box on my phone. I uploaded the wrong file so here are the drone file and cached file links:

Thanks for getting back to us. I've downloaded these files successfully. We'll come back as long as there is an update.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Update: I just got an update from our engineers that it is the hardware issue and cannot figure out remotely. I sincerely suggest to start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly tell us your case number, we'll be here all the time.
2018-7-18
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-18 03:36
Update: I just got an update from our engineers that it is the hardware issue and cannot figure out remotely. I sincerely suggest to start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly tell us your case number, we'll be here all the time.

Hi DJI Susan,

I have uploaded a screen shot showing versions. Three days ago I was asked to updare the AC firmware. It was xxx.600 and is now xxx.800. Tomorrow I will fly to see what happens. Once I have consumed two full batteries, any issue will be reported.

I am not keen on sending my drone in for repair. The reason is it being replaced with a refurbished unit which itself may have other issues or damage. Fyi, I am in northern Canada.

Thank you

[img4]201807/21/232016mzs1iwz6y1sjw2jj.png[/img]
Screenshot_20180722-001559.png
2018-7-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-21 23:26
Hi DJI Susan,

I have uploaded a screen shot showing versions. Three days ago I was asked to updare the AC firmware. It was xxx.600 and is now xxx.800. Tomorrow I will fly to see what happens. Once I have consumed two full batteries, any issue will be reported.

Thanks for keeping us updated. V01.00.0800 is the beta version of P4A, I'm afraid it doesn't help much if it is the hardware issue. If the issue persists after testing, you may consider the above suggestion.
2018-7-24
Use props
WhiteLightnin‘
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-24 03:29
Thanks for keeping us updated. V01.00.0800 is the beta version of P4A, I'm afraid it doesn't help much if it is the hardware issue. If the issue persists after testing, you may consider the above suggestion.

Hi DJI Suan,

I suspected it was the beta version. I flew out 2 full batteries on Sunday and ran the video for 12 minutes total with a full 6 minutes on one video. No Gimbal drop occurred. It was quite warm that day so I do not know if temperature played a part.

I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again, I will open a support case before the one year warranty expires in February 2019. Thank you for you assistance in a timely fashion and will return to this post if the issue comes again.

Richard
2018-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WhiteLightnin‘ Posted at 2018-7-24 14:46
Hi DJI Suan,

I suspected it was the beta version. I flew out 2 full batteries on Sunday and ran the video for 12 minutes total with a full 6 minutes on one video. No Gimbal drop occurred. It was quite warm that day so I do not know if temperature played a part.

Alright. Feel free to contact us if there is any further question. Wish you have a good time.
2018-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules