Catch landings dangerous?
2114 15 2015-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dperlmutter
lvl.2

United States

Quick question for you guys.
Just got my P3P and really excited to use it.
Are there any dangers to doing a catch landing?
Landing the drone in your hands? I've always done it that way with vision 2s I've flown.

Never really gave it much thought.
Wanted some opinions.

Thanks!
2015-5-18
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

I'm a new Phantom owner, and recently I've been doing them more often in stable wind as it seems much safer for the camera. Landing on grass or any uneven surface is not good for P3 gimbal.

I wouldn't let it land on my palm; rather I would grab the leg firmly and wait till it powers down with down stick.
2015-5-18
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
Mexico

I always do this kind of landing just if anybody else is catching it... me by my own I don't think I could...
2015-5-18
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Are there any dangers to doing a catch landing?"

The only dangerous part is the possibility of the spinning props coming into contact with your hands and/or face. It's relatively easy to do though. Just make sure your Phantom is steady before you reach up to grab the landing gear.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-19
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I always do this - just make it hover about 2-3 m away, then walk over to it - hold onto one of the vertical legs with one hand and throttle down the left stick with the other.  Easy.  It cannot fly away with you holding on to it.  Not yet.
2015-5-19
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l would say yes they can be dangerous (after watching malfunction videos when the Phantom 3 suddenly thrusts on its own). l've only ever hand-caught P2 and P3 and never had an incident. I'm always wary though, it's not something l'm complacent about.
2015-5-19
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Ive done a few already with the P3. No issue. Definitely good as CapitAn said and not be complacent about it. Ive never been cut with a prop before and don't plan on it ever!
2015-5-19
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-19 17:54
"Are there any dangers to doing a catch landing?"

The only dangerous part is the possibility of the ...

Mike, just checked out your site. Its awesome man!! You should have a sticky post here somewhere. Very informative and already have a prop balancer, car power inverter and lens cap on order! You rock!
2015-5-19
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hand catching is really easy. Just make sure the back of the Phantom is facing you and have it at just a hair above your eyesight height. At that point hold the left rear landing gear leg and throttle down the left stick all the way and hold down until the Phantom is off. Stick to those rules and you will have no problems. Especially in wind where hand catching is the way to go. If this proves hard to do i highly consider getting some practice time flying a mini quad that costs less than a hundred bucks and get good at it.
2015-5-19
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

digitaldave, I'm happy to hear it helped. I'll take a sticky... where do I apply?

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-19
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Is holding a Phantom with your hand while 4 propellers spin a foot or so from your face dangerous? Most likely. I personally land on a flat surface and enjoy the challenge of a smooth landing only hand catching when absolutely necessary. But its a personal preference thing so no right or wrong answer.
2015-5-19
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-20 00:35
Mike, just checked out your site. Its awesome man!! You should have a sticky post here somewhere.  ...

I second that, its a great website.
2015-5-19
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

Make sure you wear a helmet, safety glasses with side eye shields and thick leather gloves....
2015-5-19
Use props
lukelanddiver
lvl.1

United States

I have catch landing with P2 and was not comfortable until I got my P3. So much more steady and now I only do catch landing.
2015-5-19
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Never.  I prefer landing it like it was meant to be..via the sticks
2015-5-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I would catch it, under optimal conditions, if I could!! Ah, but no Phantom 3 Pro'  in hand, yet!!

She will arrive here Soon, very soon, I can only hope!! ;-)

Keeping my chin up, but it's getting Heavy...

RedHotPoker
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules