1 Week Old DJI Spark Gone!
781 5 2018-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansef985199
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1588 ft
Canada

Got my Spark a week ago and started flying it and loving it until it lost connection with its remote controller - only about 10 metres away and crashes into a waterfall.  I have flown drones since the days when we have to custom built them with the DJI NAZA flight controller about 8 years ago I think.  Never had I had such a situation happened to me - losing connection between the drone and the controller at such close proximity.  Send the flight log to DJI support and their conclusion wasimproper flight environment  just because I was flying the drone in Attitude mode.  Flying in attitude mode should not have caused the Spark to lose connection with the Spark remote controller and it was only about 10 metres away.  Below is the email from DJI:

For your case CAS-1975309-V0T1Y5, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. There was no enough GPS signal available and the aircraft worked under Opti mode after took off;
2. T=01:08, H=-2.3 m, the aircraft switched into Atti mode;
3. The flight record ended at t=01:10. The aircraft could not RTH when there is no GPS signal.

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by improper flight environment. As such, we cannot provide warranty service.

Here is my reply to them:

I have flown drone for many years even without GPS.  The question is - at about 10 metres I have no control over the Spark with my spark remote. In attitude mode, you should still have control over the Spark. As you can see the Spark was also only 2.3 metres off the ground. Can you tell me why the Spark Remote lost control over the Spark at such a close proximity - 10 metres. In your analysis, you indicated that it was an improper flight environment - no GPS. That has nothing to do with Why the Spark lost connection with the remote control.  You can fly the Spark indoor even without GPS and without losing connection with the spark remote.

I have been flying DJI product since the days of DJI NAZA probably about 8 years ago.  I custom built my own drone for videography and have also bought DJI Phantom 3 and never had any issues over the 8 years period that I have been flying.  Last week I just got my new DJI Spark and after flying near a waterfall in Attitude Mode (which I have flown many times with my other DJI drones) only about 10 metres away, the Spark was not responding to my remote. It then crashed into the waterfall which is impossible to retrieve the Spark.  How can such a thing happen?  How can the Spark lose connection with its remote at such close proximity.  This is a defect either of the Spark or the Spark Remote not the improper environment.

I hope you can look into the matter again and replace my Spark under warranty because I believe it was defective.  I have went to the DJI online forum for the Spark and have notice many people having the same issue.  If the Spark cannot be flown in attitude mode without GPS, then its flight should be disabled and take off not allowed - that would solved DJI lots of headaches having to deal with people losing their Spark.

2018-7-4
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

Sorry to hear that, mate, and you're absolutely right. GPS has nothing to do with AC-RC connection, which is wi-fi.
Sometimes I think there's a bonus for the DJI analyst that finds the most ridiculous reason to not replace a Spark.
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry for your loss, your case will be escalated to the appropriate department to double look into, we will have someone to contact you soon after the verification, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-7-4
Use props
djiuser_IHX9WxYlay2w
New
Flight distance : 20981 ft
United States

I just Purchased the spark a week ago also and today I was flying and hit the return home button and it took off and now I can’t find it I looked on the GPS went to the spot as the last flight plan was I guess and it’s nowhere to be seen in the ideas how to locate it At this point really be appreciated
2018-7-4
Use props
djiuser_IHX9WxYlay2w
New
Flight distance : 20981 ft
United States

So I am assuming that it’s almost impossible to get DJi To replace the drone if they’re at fault
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_IHX9WxYlay2w Posted at 2018-7-4 20:04
So I am assuming that it’s almost impossible to get DJi To replace the drone if they’re at fault

Sorry for the mishap, if the drone cannot be found out in the final recorded location based on the map in DJI GO 4, please contact our support to start a ticket for data analysis, if the accident has nothing to do with pilot's operation after the analysis, we will provide warranty service.
2018-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules