July 18th Spark 2 - I think not!
2665 18 2018-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LadyDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5131 ft

Ok - read some posts about that maybe DJI will be releasing a Spark 2 during the July 18th event.  I am new to drones and DJI and the Spark.  I think the Spark is optioned and priced where replacing it makes no sense to me.  Here is why - warning contains positive comments about Spark.:

1. Deployed size of Spark is perfect for a starter drone - not large but not so small so it is taken asa toy.

2. Carry size - which for Spark is same as deployed size - is easy to carry and fits perfectly in supplied case (minus Controller).

3. Spark is very well built and rugged - I have seen many videos of crashes that Spark shakes off with easy - lesser built drones - including some built by DJI would not do as well - this perfect for a starter - non toy - camera drone.

4.  Gesture mode is not a gimmick - let me repeat - Gesture mode is not a gimmick - could DJI made it better - well yes - but it works if you take time to learn it and it’s limitations- but once you do - I think no controller - tracking, phots videos, take off and landing is amazing and handy.  I have used it for some group shots of friends and love it. Note to DJI if at all possible change some commands to match the ones on Mavic Air the seem easier to repeat with consistency.

5. Intelligent flight modes - Tripod great for learning to control drone and to get very stable cenimatic shots - Quick Shots - let you do shots you would have a very hard time replicating yourself even with a lot of practice - Tracking great for solo video - Tap to Fly for straight unassisted directional control - and my favorites pano and shallow focus - simply amazing!

So given all that and no real competition except for Mavic Air - which some claim is the Spark 2 - I see no reason for Spark 2.

One Ladies opinion - others opinion may differ.
2018-7-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

To me its not that important, no money here for upgrades for a while, so whatever comes along, by the time I get in, it will have been bug tested and perfected!.. It is exciting to speculate though!
2018-7-4
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I don't think its a Spark 2. Most probably a New Mavic Pro.
2018-7-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

No Spark 2  but a Spark Air or Spark Pro would be just fine , lol
2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

I dont think its going to be a Spark 2, neither anything in between spark and Mavic air.
My guess is the same as most people. If its really a drone it could be the Mavic pro 2 as the Mavic 1 is getting a bit out of shape comparing to new drones.
I would be really happy if it was a " Phantom" camera quality in a Mavic body.
Better camera and a much firmer built-in guimbal. Slighly longer flight time. Improved avoidance sensors.
If I'm right. Shut up DJI just take my money!

2018-7-4
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

I'll take door number three Monte - A new type of drone?
2018-7-4
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Spark Air with a better battery ..
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be very surprised if there ever will be a Spark 2 - it would have too many similarities to the Mavic Air
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, we do feel about your excitement on what DJI's has to offer this coming 18th of July. Please stand by for that BIG announcement. Thank you.
2018-7-5
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Hey LadyDrone, you summarized the Spark very well and i am also very satisfied with my Spark.  My theory will be a very low end drone for kids or a New Mavic Pro 2.
2018-7-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-5 03:57
Hi, we do feel about your excitement on what DJI's has to offer this coming 18th of July. Please stand by for that BIG announcement. Thank you.

BIG announcement sounds like Phantom or Inspire or maybe something even more cumbersome....
2018-7-5
Use props
LadyDrone
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-4 23:10
I would be very surprised if there ever will be a Spark 2 - it would have too many similarities to the Mavic Air

I agree - I think that what others say is correct - The Mavic Air really is the Spark 2.  What would be nice is some nice firmware updates - like I said I think gestures could be changed to match the Mavic Air that way there is more consistency across platforms and I think the Air gestures are for most part more logical.   Add a few more intelligent flight modes - and we have a keeper for another year.  But Rumor mill is that Spark is end of life.  
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LadyDrone Posted at 2018-7-5 05:47
I agree - I think that what others say is correct - The Mavic Air really is the Spark 2.  What would be nice is some nice firmware updates - like I said I think gestures could be changed to match the Mavic Air that way there is more consistency across platforms and I think the Air gestures are for most part more logical.   Add a few more intelligent flight modes - and we have a keeper for another year.  But Rumor mill is that Spark is end of life.

Yeah, I can see the Spark hanging around for a while with some FW updates but I strongly doubt there will be a second gen.  
2018-7-5
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

If or when they come out with a 2nd  gen Spark  maybe they can redesign it and put the battery on top so it will quit falling out , lol
2018-7-5
Use props
LadyDrone
lvl.2
United States

I worked in the Electronics manufacturing world for a while and what many do not understand is that many products go end of life, not because they are not still marketable, - but because one or more key components is  no longer available - happens faster then you think.  Sometimes if the sales are really good they will do a "Cost Down" which means make the same product for less money with cheaper and fewer parts.  I doubt we would see a "Cost Down" on Spark so more likely, in my view is it will just ride off into the sunset sometime in the near future.  
2018-7-5
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

So what component would be  no longer available for the Spark ?
2018-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would be surprised if it turned out to be a Spark 2.
But we'll see in 2 weeks.
2018-7-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

LadyDrone - I think you're right about the Spark! - DJI needs to add OcuSync and a 4K 3-axis gimbal - then Spark would be a difficult contender!
2018-7-5
Use props
LadyDrone
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-7-5 09:46
So what component would be  no longer available for the Spark ?

Most common would be chip sets that get channged - there is all kinds of chip sets - gps - sensors - power - digital to Analog or vice versa.
2018-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules