DJI Drone runs into a geo fence and looses all control
1767 9 2018-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Please don’t forget to like this video……. Also welcome your comments   Went for a flight after some sever thunder storms. I usually launch from this area after contacting the local airport. i was outside the 5 mile radius when I took off, but flew into the five mile radius. It didn’t just warn me it turned me into a flying brick. Never good……Watch the whole video there is some music..and narration..

Please comment

2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

I see there were lots of trees in the way. It could be just a RC connection loss.
2018-7-4
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-7-4 21:46
I see there were lots of trees in the way. It could be just a RC connection loss.

check the end of the video you can see the fence. a warning came across the screen about entering a restricted zone then it went out of sight, then it wouldn't let me go it was like a tractor beam
2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-7-4 21:51
check the end of the video you can see the fence. a warning came across the screen about entering a restricted zone then it went out of sight, then it wouldn't let me go it was like a tractor beam

Sorry! Missed the very end of it. Stopped watching as you safely landed it.
Good to know it can react this way when close to geofences.
Glad you were able to bring it back.
Thanks for the video!

2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to know it stops people flying into manned airspace.
2018-7-5
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

The TFR was related to the Fourth Holiday? Normally there is no Geo fence within five miles of smaller airports requiring phone notification.
Thanks for sharing. Well done video.
2018-7-5
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2018-7-5 05:04
The TFR was related to the Fourth Holiday? Normally there is no Geo fence within five miles of smaller airports requiring phone notification.
Thanks for sharing. Well done video.

I think because I flew backwards into it and then tried to fly forward it was some how caught in it...also the warning came up on the screen...useually never effects takeoff flight etc and i fly with in the zone...this time I took off just outside the zone and inadvertently flew backwards into it....once it realized it was in the zone it wouldn't fly at all to get out of it..unless I did a RTH
2018-7-5
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-7-5 09:57
I think because I flew backwards into it and then tried to fly forward it was some how caught in it...also the warning came up on the screen...useually never effects takeoff flight etc and i fly with in the zone...this time I took off just outside the zone and inadvertently flew backwards into it....once it realized it was in the zone it wouldn't fly at all to get out of it..unless I did a RTH

Carmenvall,

Nice video - thanks for sharing.

You are right about inability to cross geofence from the other side. This is a bug - either in Spark's firmware or in DJI GO App.

See: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152623 and my analysis in post #20.

User 62+ had similar experience. His drone dropped to ATTI and he lost signal because of strong interference from the close-by cell tower. While in ATTI, his drone crossed goe-fence (maximum flight distance) which he set himself at 100 metres and ended up way further. After some time, when drone was below direct cell tower line the signal was restored and the pilot was able to fly it back. However, 100 metres from home point the drone stopped because it encountered geo-fence set by the user but from the other side. Error in design - it should have known that it is going towards home point and not away. Only when pilot pressed RTH, did the drone proceed over the geo-fence and landed safely.

This is very valuable lesson and one worth remembering. Confirmed through two different scenarios.
DJI moderators - if you are reading this, please talk to your developers and fix this problem.

Mirek

2018-7-5
Use props
Antipaxi
lvl.4

Romania

This is all very interesting and all, but what's the name of the font you're using for narration?
2018-7-5
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:59
Carmenvall,

Nice video - thanks for sharing.

Awesome great to know hope the report and video helps
2018-7-5
Use props