Suddenly, Blocky Purple and Green on Tablet??
1554 14 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

I bought my MPP in mid-May, and over the span of 50 flights and 236K ft, everything was flawless, even with the latest DJI Go 4 4.2.20 (Android).  Since day one, I've been using my Samsung Tab A 10.1 and the view was always crystal clear, and rock solid even on the outer distances of it's range.

Last week, I started noticing some blockiness or pixelation and green/purple tints primarily at the bottom of the screen. And, when I turn (left stick- left/right), the MPP would kind of over shoot, especially in Sport Mode.  Meaning, if you just tap the stick Right/Left, the thing would keep spinning to 180 degrees or more.

Over the last couple of days, its continued to get drastically worse on the tablet video to the point you really cannot see anything anymore. When just sitting on the ground, the video is fine, but once you take off, the video quality quickly degrades to the point that you cannot see anything but waves and green and purple. Sport mode is all but impossible to use.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled and at first it seem to help until about 10 minutes into the flight and it started again.  After reading a number of posts here, I think I'm going to try rolling back to 4.2.16, but it makes no sense that I've been running 4.2.20 since the begining of June with no problems.

I have already cleared all cache on the tablet and made sure there's nothing else running, etc, and the Tablet appears fine, so this all seems to be a DJI issue.

Thoughts from anyone who has solve this.
2018-7-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Sounds like the Samsung may be overheating.
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

I kind of doubt that, as it's rock solid for everything else after the DJI is disconnected, and it surely doesn't explain the handling issues.  I'm still searching and see a number of folks claiming that once they reinstalled the controller firmware, that solve the issue.  I'm going to take it one step at a time so I can identify the correct culprit.
2018-7-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Do you have another device you can test with? It may help isolate the problem to the firmware or the device.
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-7-5 06:17
Do you have another device you can test with? It may help isolate the problem to the firmware or the device.

No, not really.  Yeah, it would be great if I had a CS laying around that I could use to isolate the issue, but clearly the Tab A 10.1 is well within hardware spec, and BTW, has been working rock solid on Nougat since day one. Further, exhibits no strange behavior on any other non-DJI use, so I'm not convinced it's a tablet issue just yet.

Noting again the handling issues with the drone, which is a function of the controller to the drone, seems the best place to start is with the controller.
2018-7-5
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Roll back the App to 4.2.14. Many complaints from Android community of devices that all worked beautifully before 4.2.20

11 guys in our drone club use a '17 Samsung S3, and they all worked fine until 4.2.20. Now the image fpv is a mess, errors thrown randomly when the craft lights show stable flashing green. Many others with "aircraft disconnected" and app shut downs and craft never RTH. Again they are normal according to RC and led flight status. So people reboot the app and get the craft back.

Fix for now is revert to 4.2.14. Hopefully DJI fixes this soon.
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Mike.

I am in the process of downgrading the controller to v01.04.0300 and then if that's good, then upgrade back to .0400.   Seeing the handling issues, I thought checking the controller first made most sense.

If that doesn't work, I will try to download the App to 4.2.16 and see how that works, and then to 4.2.14 if necessary.  I think out of the box I was running 4.2.16 until approx June 8th, and even from June 8th to approx June 28th on 4.2.20, all was rock solid.  Makes no sense. I've recalibrated Compass, IMU, changed and reformatted SD Card, etc. Getting pretty irritating! 2 weeks past the return date and all goes to hell. Ergh!
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

As a quick update, I downgraded the controller and MPP to v.01.04.300 and the DJI Go4 app to 4.2.16.  I changed the Play Store to manual updated for the app for now.

Connected everything, turned off WIFI on the tablet to avoid a DJI Go 4 upgrade notification, and took off and all was perfect.  Handling, transmitted Video and all was rock solid and very precise again.  My next tests will be:

1.  Give it another trial with WIFI on.  Not sure if DJI Go4 will force an upgrade to .0400 but I'm hoping not.

2.  If that goes well, I will allow the upgrade to .0400 and check stability.

3.  If that goes well, will continue to run 4.2.16 for a while, before testing 4.2.20 again.

At this point, I should have tested 4.2.16 before downgrading to .0300, just to help the others.  I see just this morning, 3 others are reporting similar issues, but again, I ran 4.2.20 for 3 weeks with no issues.  I still think it was the controller, but at least I have a handle on what will get me back to stable.
2018-7-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-7-5 09:01
As a quick update, I downgraded the controller and MPP to v.01.04.300 and the DJI Go4 app to 4.2.16.  I changed the Play Store to manual updated for the app for now.

Connected everything, turned off WIFI on the tablet to avoid a DJI Go 4 upgrade notification, and took off and all was perfect.  Handling, transmitted Video and all was rock solid and very precise again.  My next tests will be:

Thanks for the update!
2018-7-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I had to  give up on my Android devices for Flying my Mavic Pro. The pixeling and video lag made it totally unsafe to fly.  I went to Walmart and bought a Apple Mini 4 128G tablet which were on sale. I loaded the current DJI Go 4 app and it works with no issues.  

Here is why I gave up on Android.
The firmware for the Mavic/ Controller and DJI Go 4 app have added several new features that simply have been optimized for Apple. The DJI Go 4 App was really pushing my Droid Moto Z Force to its limits. (The Force exceeds the resource requirements with its Quad core 2+ Ghz CPU, and 4G memory)  Several thousand Mavic owners are experiencing the same issue I dealt with. DJI knows exactly what they did, when they added all the new features, along with introducing the Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic Air platforms.   After reviewing all the threads, the common theme was to try and downgrade firmware, try a previous versions of DFI Go 4 apps.  I tried all the suggestions with  some temporary success, this is a bad strategy because once your stable you are stuck with no path to upgrade.  The administrators keep on pasting  the text on which devices  they support for the DJI Go 4 app, which translate to go pound sand, and buy a device on the list. I looked at all the Android devices on the list, and the Moto Z Force should be on par or perform better.  The Apple users had some issues but even older devices with slow processor and 2G of Ram still worked fine. DJI will not be able to fix the Android hardware resource problem on most Android devices.  My opinion is they wont waste the time or resources, and they sure have not come clean on what their plan is. So if you can afford a Apple device that on the list that's the fix.  I just hope DJI learned something when  they try launch there next Drone.  They should just package  the Crystal Sky with controller and call it a day.
This is what the admins post:

2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-7-5 09:36
I had to  give up on my Android devices for Flying my Mavic Pro. The pixeling and video lag made it totally unsafe to fly.  I went to Walmart and bought a Apple Mini 4 128G tablet which were on sale. I loaded the current DJI Go 4 app and it works with no issues.  

Here is why I gave up on Android.

While I agree that DJI does tend to optimize for Apple, the hardware on the on Tab A should run circles around the lesser Mini 4.  (2x1.4/5GHz 2GB Ram vs 8x1.6Ghz 3GB Ram).

Again, I have solved the problem for now, and I have isolated the issue to either the firmware on the Controller or MPP, and/or the DJI Go4 app.  Again, I highly suspect the issue was the firmware on the controller due to the loss of handling as well.

I just tested a second flight at 20,000+ ft, and Std and Sport mode handling, and all trans video was flawless.  It's not the tablet.

I will add that I also have the Z Force, and that has even stronger spec's, and I could never get that to run reliability as well.  That I think was more related to the GPU video capability and heat.
2018-7-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4

United States

The Tab A was my second Android device, I concur it should run circles around the mini.   As I stated in my above post I was able to get a work around by rolling back to an older firmware, but then Im stuck and cant update....
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-7-5 10:49
The Tab A was my second Android device, I concur it should run circles around the mini.   As I stated in my above post I was able to get a work around by rolling back to an older firmware, but then Im stuck and cant update....

Good lord - Sure would be nice if DJI would focus on the AFTER Purchase satisfaction issues.  In my search for clues, I was kind of shocked at the number of complaints all rooting back to software/firmware/driver issues.

Noting how old that compatibility chart is they like to tout, I had originally wondered if they set aside 3rd party display devices in favor of their own Crystal Sky's. However, seems they have more than their fair amount of issues as well.

No doubt, I've pretty well confirmed that I've been one of a few lucky ones that got away with 50+ flawless flights right out of the box. However, eventually the odds caught up with me.  Now I know how to recover and hopefully this restored state of health will stay around for another 50 or so flights.  
2018-7-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4

United States

There are many Mavic users that have the Video Latency distortion even on approved Android devices.   As I stated DJI could include the Crystal Sky with each DJI Drone they would save money in the long run because they would only have to support their device and not have to put up with all of us complaining.  
2018-7-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:37
There are many Mavic users that have the Video Latency distortion even on approved Android devices.   As I stated DJI could include the Crystal Sky with each DJI Drone they would save money in the long run because they would only have to support their device and not have to put up with all of us complaining.

In theory, a logical person might surmise this.  However, the flaw in your thinking is, clearly they don't spend nearly the amount of manhours in total to solve the software/firmware/driver issues to even get near the break-even on offering up Crystal Sky's.  I mean, if they did invest the money to solve the issues proactively, we wouldn't be in the situation in the first place.  These types of scenarios only work if both options are being fully supported with a high level of compliance. Not the case I'm afraid.
2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules