Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Standard - Unable to focus
2764 13 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cotmcleod
lvl.1
United States

Greetings fellow Droners

Have been searching online for the last few days, as well as spent nearly 2 hours messing around with my drone but have been unable to address this issue. Since I purchased this drone I have been relatively unimpressed with its image quality but figured that was the price I paid for going with an entry level model. However, over the past few weeks I have started to look at others results from the P3S and found their results leaps and bounds beyond what I have been getting from a sharpness standpoint. At this point for my last 2 flights I have been trying to play with focus but have been unable to focus the camera. I am unsure as to my DJI go app version on my second to last flight but upgraded the app to 3.1.42 (DJI Go- For Products before P4) for android on the second flight. In both flights the image was blurry and i was unable to get the camera to focus. Tapping on various areas of the screen showed the AE yellow circle and would adjust settings to expose that area properly but never focuses on that area. From what I am seeing online there should be a button next to the AE button labeled AF/MF (image below is not mine). It emberassing but I have to admit that i do not recall ever seeing this option since I bought the drone

However, at this point the AF/MF button is nowhere to be found. The only recent post on the forum in reference to this issue was resolved by going to the general settings area and enabling manual focus. However, when I go to general settings the Enable Manual Focusing option is nowhere to be found. I have dug into ever menu when connected to the drone and cannot find it burried anywhere (not from lack of trying, i burned half a battery digging around and never even left the ground). I have even gone so far as to completely remove the app and cached data before reinstalling with no change. My drone is also running the latest firmware and reports no issues. This issue makes it pretty much unnusable if you want to take photos or video and I think that this issue has been present from day one, resuling in the lackluster image sharpness. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Cotmcleod, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience this have brought you. The image below is for DJI Go 4 App. Per the post you have, you said that you have the latest firmware, is it v01.09.0200? If not, please download the latest firmware at https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads and update the aircraft. You can also try to reset the camera settings on the DJI Go App. Hope this helps.
2018-7-5
Use props
Cotmcleod
lvl.1
United States

Natalia, Doesn't the drone/app automatically let you know if there is a firmware update available? Via the Go app my drone firmware states "latest". If it needs to be done manually I will give that a shot. I have also reset the camera settings in the app with no change.
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Cotmcleod Posted at 2018-7-5 09:34
Natalia, Doesn't the drone/app automatically let you know if there is a firmware update available? Via the Go app my drone firmware states "latest". If it needs to be done manually I will give that a shot. I have also reset the camera settings in the app with no change.

I believe you are connected to the remote controller's WiFi and doesn't have any internet access to check if it has the latest firmware. Please manually check by doing the steps below:

Turn on the aircraft and the controller
Connect the phone or tablet you use with your Phantom
Launch the DJI GO app.
Enter Camera view.
Tap the settings icon on the top right hand corner of the screen (indicated by three horizontal lines)
Scroll right to the bottom of the list of options and select ‘About’. You will be shown the current firmware versions of your aircraft and remote.
2018-7-5
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

You cant focus on the P3S. It has a fixed focus lens set to infinity.
If you have images that are out of focus, you may have a camera problem.
2018-7-5
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Just a thought, it's been two years since I purchased my P3S, I don't remember if there is a protective plastic covering on the lens or not.  If there is, it should be removed.  Check closely as it will be clear and hard to see.  If it is there it should come off easly.
2018-7-5
Use props
Cotmcleod
lvl.1
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:54
You cant focus on the P3S. It has a fixed focus lens set to infinity.
If you have images that are out of focus, you may have a camera problem.

Eric,

That would make perfect sense as to what I am seeing. Unfortunately that would mean that the thing has been defective since I bought it. Further unfortunate is that I live in Northern MN and bought it right at the start of winter. That coupled with some busy stuff in my personal life meant that this drone has only been flown about 10 times in the year I have owned it. I guess its probably out of warranty and that I am SOL on this correct?
2018-7-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cotmcleod Posted at 2018-7-5 13:16
Eric,

That would make perfect sense as to what I am seeing. Unfortunately that would mean that the thing has been defective since I bought it. Further unfortunate is that I live in Northern MN and bought it right at the start of winter. That coupled with some busy stuff in my personal life meant that this drone has only been flown about 10 times in the year I have owned it. I guess its probably out of warranty and that I am SOL on this correct?

If it has fault, you can still send it in for analasys and subsequent repair.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-5
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Eric,

That would make perfect sense as to what I am seeing. Unfortunately that would mean that the thing has been defective since I bought it. Further unfortunate is that I live in Northern MN and bought it right at the start of winter. That coupled with some busy stuff in my personal life meant that this drone has only been flown about 10 times in the year I have owned it. I guess its probably out of warranty and that I am SOL on this correct?

Not sure what the warranty says for the P3S.
DJI gives different warranty periods for the parts of a drone: 1/2 a year for batteries, 1 year for the body. Not sure about the camera.

Have you checked the lens very close? Maybe you stored the drone somewhere where humidity might have affected the lens?
But if you say it was from the beginning then I would file a repair request (warranty claim):
https://repair.dji.com

Take some photos at sunlight with contrast and details you can provide along with the repair request.
Before they send you a repair ticket you somehow have to prove you have an issue (at least that's how I remember it)

I sent mine in due to the famous tilted horizon issue last year.
When repair got back to me they said they can't see any issue in the photos I provided! (see below)
Ha, Ha, - there are some real funny guys at DJI repair :-)

Good luck!
tilt.jpg
2018-7-5
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Eric,

That would make perfect sense as to what I am seeing. Unfortunately that would mean that the thing has been defective since I bought it. Further unfortunate is that I live in Northern MN and bought it right at the start of winter. That coupled with some busy stuff in my personal life meant that this drone has only been flown about 10 times in the year I have owned it. I guess its probably out of warranty and that I am SOL on this correct?

I forgot to add:
If you send it in be prepared for being send a refurb.
It's not guaranteed you get your drone repaired!
2018-7-5
Use props
Cotmcleod
lvl.1
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-5 13:48
I forgot to add:
If you send it in be prepared for being send a refurb.
It's not guaranteed you get your drone repaired!

Eric,

I appreciate your time and information and will do what you have suggested. The good think is that I have pictures from some of the first flights with the dates in the EXIF. So those should show picture quality was poor right from the start.
2018-7-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Cotmcleod Posted at 2018-7-5 14:23
Eric,

I appreciate your time and information and will do what you have suggested. The good think is that I have pictures from some of the first flights with the dates in the EXIF. So those should show picture quality was poor right from the start.

Not only is your P3 Standard unable to change focus, it will not focus at all in a situation like that shown in you photo. It does not focus up close. Get it up in the air 60 feet or so and take a shot, that will tell you whether it is in focus or not.
2018-7-5
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Turkey

Normally the P3S does mpt transmit the feed in HD,but on transmit statis you see the HD symbol with the bars. Stop and restart the App so the HD does not   pops up.
2018-7-10
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The P3S has a no frills camera.  If you want superior results, upgrade to the 4 series.
2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules