Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit ( Limp gimbal) Mid Flight
6012 24 2018-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Davies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1288885 ft
United States

I had this happen at least a half dozen times over the last few months. Midflight flying and the gimbal momentarily drops the camera and then autocorrects itself. I know there are others that have experienced this but noone has the answer. Share your knowledge.

2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Mike, we apologize for the inconvenience this have brought you. Have you tried to calibrate the gimbal before taking a flight? You can also update the firmware to the latest version.
2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-6 09:07
Hi Mike, we apologize for the inconvenience this have brought you. Have you tried to calibrate the gimbal before taking a flight? You can also update the firmware to the latest version.

Hi, Yes... I auto calibrate on almost every flight. As for firmware, I am at V 01.05.0600.
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-6 13:03
Hi, Yes... I auto calibrate on almost every flight. As for firmware, I am at V 01.05.0600.

The firmware is indeed the latest, did this happened after the firmware update or even before? Also did  aircraft experienced hard landing/crash?
2018-7-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

A common issue. Nothing you can do about it unless you move slower.
Worst for the gimbal - even if the flight is not as fast - is when keeping a center point while flying sideways.

Forget what Natalia said. These seem to be computer generated answers as we have figured by now.
Next question might be what device you are using.

2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-6 13:15
The firmware is indeed the latest, did this happened after the firmware update or even before? Also did  aircraft experienced hard landing/crash?

No, no crash or hard landing
2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 13:23
A common issue. Nothing you can do about it unless you move slower.
Worst for the gimbal - even if the flight is not as fast - is when keeping a center point while flying sideways.

lol, I had my suspicions
2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-6 13:40

had same firmware for over a month
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

lol, I had my suspicions

Mike, please send us the aircraft for analysis by clicking the link below:

Online Repair Request

We will definitely look unto this for you.
2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-6 14:06
Mike, please send us the aircraft for analysis by clicking the link below:

Online Repair Request

Its the beginning of summer.... I don't want to be without this drone for the whole summer by sending it back.... This is random, happened 3 times in the last 45 days... There are no ideas as to why this is happening???
2018-7-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-6 14:51
Its the beginning of summer.... I don't want to be without this drone for the whole summer by sending it back.... This is random, happened 3 times in the last 45 days... There are no ideas as to why this is happening???

Don't follow Natalias advice. Your drone will be gone for weeks and you might get a refurb as exchange.
There is nothing wrong with your drone other than it reaches its limits occasionally.
Then again reaching these limits I find questionable/bad.

2018-7-6
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 15:30
Don't follow Natalias advice. Your drone will be gone for weeks and you might get a refurb as exchange.
There is nothing wrong with your drone other than it reaches its limits occasionally.
Then again reaching these limits I find questionable/bad.

Thnx Eric.... as I stated earlier, Im not sending my Phantom away so it can be gone for the summer... I believe this is just a flaw with DJI drones. If I think about it, This usually happens around the same time I get high wind warnings and I believe it is just a stressed motor design from that. It has happened 3 times in the last 45-90 days... I will take my chances. Was just hoping they had a solution up front. I did get an email from DJI support telling me to calibrate it 5 times... Could be just blowing wind up my skirt but I calibrated it 6 times. We will see.
2018-7-6
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-6 14:51

You can sync up a flight record from a flight this has happened at and then reply Natalia what flight it is about, then they can examine the record.
With a little luck you can export the same from the aircraft by using Assistant2, it would contain a lot more details for them to investigate from.

I have not have this issue myself on the two P4P's i have had so far, only the last one seem to not be as strong to hold the position on fast moves, specially when testing the Pano feature it looked like it was thrown around during the moves.
Will be waiting with excitement for what replacement i receive on Monday ...
2018-7-7
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

..............................................................................................
AFTER I POSTED THIS, DJI HAD ME CALIBRATE THE DRONE AND THE GIMBAL 5 TIMES (I DID IT 6 TIMES) AND SO FAR THERE HASN'T BEEN A PROBLEM.... I FLEW IT AT A JOB THRU 3 BACK TO BACK BATTERIES AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING GOOD....  I WILL KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED IF THE PROBLEM RETURNS.
2018-7-9
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

.............................................................................................. AFTER I POSTED THIS, DJI HAD ME CALIBRATE THE DRONE AND THE GIMBAL 5 TIMES (I DID IT 6 TIMES) AND SO FAR THERE HASN'T BEEN A PROBLEM.... I FLEW IT AT A JOB THRU 3 BACK TO BACK BATTERIES AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING GOOD....  I WILL KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED IF THE PROBLEM RETURNS.
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mike Davies Posted at 2018-7-9 14:43
.............................................................................................. AFTER I POSTED THIS, DJI HAD ME CALIBRATE THE DRONE AND THE GIMBAL 5 TIMES (I DID IT 6 TIMES) AND SO FAR THERE HASN'T BEEN A PROBLEM.... I FLEW IT AT A JOB THRU 3 BACK TO BACK BATTERIES AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING GOOD....  I WILL KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED IF THE PROBLEM RETURNS.

You calibrated 6 times, but only posted this last bit twice... ??

Four more... hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 14:52
You calibrated 6 times, but only posted this last bit twice... ??

My bad...lol
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Give you a darn good scolding. Hahaha

We all have those moments, while excitedly posting our feelings. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-7-9
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 14:59
Give you a darn good scolding. Hahaha

We all have those moments, while excitedly posting our feelings. ;-)

........lol
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hehe.
9BAD5F16-9F26-41C0-A897-9EDBC98BD21A.jpeg

I see what you did there... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-7-9
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Your gimbal should not do this ....i can zip around in atti mode 60 mph and gimbal does not go limp
2018-7-9
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-7-9 18:56
Your gimbal should not do this ....i can zip around in atti mode 60 mph and gimbal does not go limp

agreed... I flew it for an hour straight the next day and it never dropped again... Maybe the calibration was off and it fixed it... We'll see
2018-7-11
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
United States

I flew the other day, there were strong winds and the gimbal kept going limp and falling constantly... its just a bad design
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

That looks like the classic case of gimbal roll while doing a roll movement when in fpv mode. Set the gimbal to follow mode and try doing a roll and see if it cures the problem.
2018-8-27
Use props
djiuser_9tZCf781CBaf
New
Flight distance : 65052 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Mike, i have same problem, but i have had one crash with my inspire one dji.
2022-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules