New to DJI and cameras. have questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shitstick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130889 ft
United States

flew my P4A for the first time and had fun.  i have a few questions

first, i noticed that my controller is actually trying to charge my tablet (LG G pad), can i stop it from doing that?

what is the advantage to the filters people put on the camera?

what is the best way to watch p4a video on my vizio smart TV?
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with your DJI Phantom 4A. Sad to say the current device you are using is not fully compatible. Please check below the list of fully compatible devices. On your concern about how to watch p4a's video on your Vizio smart tv, all you have to do is remove the sd card and plug it in sd card reader then connect it to the USB port of your tv. Hope this helps.

2018-7-6
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

I'm not sure about turning off the charging of your tablet.  It might be a good idea to have your tablet fully charged before connecting to the RC.  Still wouldn't prevent charging but at least you'd only be charging what you used up running your app.

As for filters, the most common filter is an ND (neutral density) filter.  The main advantage is to be able to open up the aperture on the camera (giving a narrower depth of field or area that's in focus) as well as slow down the shutter speed.  Both of those can make for more cinematic video shots.  Some people also use the combination ND and circular polarizing filters.  The circular polarizing filters help cut down glare off of highly reflective surfaces like water or windows or cars.

As for watching the videos, my TV (a Samsung) has a USB port.  I copy my videos to a USB 3 flash-drive and then plug it into the TV.  That way I can watch the videos without worrying about loss of quality from streaming or lack of bandwidth to the TV.  The videos are smooth and full resolution that way.
2018-7-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago where a guy was angry about the RC charging his device.
He found a solution by cutting some thread of his USB cable.

Why do you worry about this slow charging? For sure it won't drain the RC battery too much.
You need quite a few hours of flying to get this one drained.

Reason for ND filters:
When you are filming you want to achieve a shutter speed double your frame rate. That's ideal.
You also want to stay near 5.6 f-stop. That's when the lens is best.
In midday sunlight you won't be able to achieve those settings without ND.

You can disregard depth of field. The 24mm lens has enourmous depth of field per se and unless you are filming a flea circus
the ND filters won't change anything.

Another reason for ND: If you are capturing e.g. waterfalls/rivers:
You may won't to have a longer shutter speed to get the effect of flowing.
If you shoot it at high shutter speed everything will be frozen and the movement is gone.

2018-7-6
Use props
Shitstick
lvl.2
United States

1 is there any reason to record in 4k when my TV can only do 1080?

2 any reason to shoot in 2.7k when my TV is only 1080?  pretty sure the answer is no but i wanna ask

3 will I loose video quality using a SD card reader plugged into the USB on my TV?

4 what res. should i shoot in if i want to pull pictures from a video?
2018-7-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1, not really, but upload 4k to youtube and theres still a noticeable difference
2, as above
3, no, well, i dont and thats how i watch my non 4k movies, but note, 4k will probably be too big for the reader and or USB slot on the TV of which is possibly only USB 2
4. 4k lol, (lol cause of the above) once youve grabbed ya snapshots, just encode the 4k in 1080 so its watchable on the tv

The above is how i would do it, others perhaps have a better way....
2018-7-6
Use props
Shitstick
lvl.2
United States

ow also.

i am going to put in a order.

which filter should i get ND4 ND8 or ND16. only gonna buy one, also i might film over snow at some point, prolly not much tho.  are these filters polarized?

do the quiet props actually work?  they are kinda cheap so even a slight improvement and i will buy them
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That’s  quite the forum  handle. Hahaha

A real stinker that one, for sure.

Why that?

RedHotPoker
2018-7-6
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Shitstick Posted at 2018-7-6 18:12
1 is there any reason to record in 4k when my TV can only do 1080?

2 any reason to shoot in 2.7k when my TV is only 1080?  pretty sure the answer is no but i wanna ask

1: Yes, one day you get a better TV and if you have shot your films in 1080 you would have some lowres movies to watch then.
2: No, keep shooting in 4K.
3: No but it might not be able to play the 4K recordings directly, the lowres copies should be no problem but won't look that good.
4: What size pictures do you want? 4K for best resolution but you can as a test just take some pictures while recording in different modes, the pictures taken while recording will have that same size as the movie.

Have Fun.
2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules