Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-9 00:47
Tricky,   very tricky  
Creative too !

Aloha Manx,

Yes, very tricky and the reason I would much rather have a drone.  No way would I jump off a cliff holding on to a bed sheet!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-13
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-13 01:37
Aloha Manx,

Yes, very tricky and the reason I would much rather have a drone.  No way would I jump off a cliff holding on to a bed sheet!

A Bucket List item for me was a tandem skydive.  So a few years ago,  for my 60th I did it from 12,000ft.
it was a bit of a let down  !!!!!!!
2020-4-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-13 02:14
A Bucket List item for me was a tandem skydive.  So a few years ago,  for my 60th I did it from 12,000ft.

Aloha Manx,

A bit?  12,000 is a bit.  You guys down under really are the masters of understatement!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-13
Use props
Frank C
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

in the memory of my dear friend RHP

2020-4-13
Use props
Frank C
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 4-13 02:46
Aloha Manx,

A bit?  12,000 is a bit.  You guys down under really are the masters of understatement!

Aloha Cetacean  ! Stay safe
Nemo sailing home
Nemo letting go

This is me for forever One of the lost ones The one without a name Without an honest heart as compass This is me for forever One without a name These lines the last endeavor To find the missing lifeline Oh how I wish For soothing rain All I wish is to dream again My loving heart Lost in the dark For hope I'd give my everything My flower, withered between The pages 2 and 3 The once and forever bloom gone with my sins Walk the dark path Sleep with angels Call the past for help Touch me with your love And reveal to me my true name Oh how I wish For soothing rain All I wish is to dream again My loving heart Lost in the dark For hope I'd give my everything Oh how I wish For soothing rain Oh how I wish to dream again Once and for all And all for once Nemo my name forevermore Nemo sailing home Nemo letting go Oh how I wish For soothing rain All I wish is to dream again My loving heart Lost in the dark For hope I'd give my everything Oh how I wish For soothing rain Oh how I wish to dream again Once and for all And all for once Nemo my name forevermore

2020-4-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Frank C Posted at 4-13 22:10
Aloha Cetacean  ! Stay safe
Nemo sailing home
Nemo letting go

Aloha Frank,

Mahalo!  I needed that.  We all miss him.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-14
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Frank C Posted at 4-13 22:08
in the memory of my dear friend RHP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGfKMV5AbMI

Beautiful !  
2020-4-14
Use props
Frank C
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-4-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Frank C Posted at 4-15 01:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSZRh5EGFpU&lc=Ugzb6ovyW8b1v-pp2AF4AaABAg

Aloha Frank,

Good video.  So many unexpected consequences.  They did get a number of behaviors wrong but the intent was a strong representation.

Stay safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-17
Use props
Frank C
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 4-17 03:12
Aloha Frank,

Good video.  So many unexpected consequences.  They did get a number of behaviors wrong but the intent was a strong representation.
Aloha Cetacean  ! Stay safe Dear
Nemo sailing home
Nemo letting go

2020-4-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Frank C Posted at 4-17 06:02
Aloha Cetacean  ! Stay safe Dear
Nemo sailing home
Nemo letting go

Aloha Frank,

Mahalo!  Interesting video.  All games.  Nice Orcas, but the Tursiops were scrambling much more than they normally would in such tight confines.  They coast and change the angle of their flukes and peduncle to change direction.  The video had them pumping constantly.  They conserve energy much more than that.  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-13 02:14

Aloha Manx,

How are you holding up down under?

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-22
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-22 00:34
Aloha Manx,

How are you holding up down under?

Thanks for asking Cetacean,  we are going OK.  No major drama really.  It's a bit of a worry,  but we seem to be adapting to "self-containment" pretty well.
We did have a big trip out today though ----- I had to go to Physio !  So on the way home I thought to drop into a craft shop to buy a Paint Pouring kit.  Huh,  a thousand people have been there already.  Not a lot available at the moment - that will change in time.
All goo and under control is the summary I guess.
How about you and yours ?  Hanging in alright ?
It's quiet on the forum without RPH......  
2020-4-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-22 01:16
Thanks for asking Cetacean,  we are going OK.  No major drama really.  It's a bit of a worry,  but we seem to be adapting to "self-containment" pretty well.
We did have a big trip out today though ----- I had to go to Physio !  So on the way home I thought to drop into a craft shop to buy a Paint Pouring kit.  Huh,  a thousand people have been there already.  Not a lot available at the moment - that will change in time.
All goo and under control is the summary I guess.

Aloha Manx,

Yeah, we all miss RHP.  It will never be the same, but we will persevere!  It took a while but I realized RHP never experienced the virus problem.  He sure would have had a lot to say about that!

Keep it a secret, but I may fly tomorrow.  Today, I was talking to my friend about flying and it started sprinkling!  What kind of deal is that!  My friend said he thought it was amazing that I could control the rain like that.  Go figgah!

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Aloha Cetacean !! He sure would have had a lot to say about that! I agree !!!

2020-4-25
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-25 01:49
Aloha Manx,

Yeah, we all miss RHP.  It will never be the same, but we will persevere!  It took a while but I realized RHP never experienced the virus problem.  He sure would have had a lot to say about that!

Would you like to come fly over WA ?  We could do with your "weather controlling" talents here !  Rain would be most welcome..

I was planning on excercising  my batteries today,  by the time I got organised the breeze was in & our local waters quite choppy - but it didn't rain !!  
Will try again tomorrow.
It has been a tad over 6 weeks since the batteries were used,  so I would like to give them a  'cycle'.
I always store them at about 60% - but ........     
2020-4-26
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well Manxmann if you guys would stop lighting fires it might rain
I've given up on BOM as they haven't got it right for ages. I mean we are supposed to be hit by snow. I may be wrong but i think you need clouds for that. We don't have any
2020-4-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-26 01:55
Would you like to come fly over WA ?  We could do with your "weather controlling" talents here !  Rain would be most welcome..

I was planning on excercising  my batteries today,  by the time I got organised the breeze was in & our local waters quite choppy - but it didn't rain !!  

Aloha Manx,

Oops!  I must be slipping!  Your rain problem is easy to understand, but right now we are having wind issues.  No rain, but 15 + mph winds.  I exercised my P4 Pro's two batteries already and now my two Mavics are standing in line.  Those Mavics have wind issues.

When I first got my Mavic Air, I went a mile up into the mountain with the wind at my back and then got some nice shots and figured I better return home only to realize I went up with the wind at my back!  Ack!  That was the slowest, most nerve-wracking flight back I ever had.  I kept picking emergency landing spots, but when I got down lower, the wind reduced and I made it home with 7% left.  Yikes!

So, I am not fond of flying in any winds over 10 mph with these light Mavics.  If tomorrow is below 15 mph, I may fly down in the gulch.  Maybe test out some of my tunnels.

Be Safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-1
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 5-1 01:53
Aloha Manx,

Oops!  I must be slipping!  Your rain problem is easy to understand, but right now we are having wind issues.  No rain, but 15 + mph winds.  I exercised my P4 Pro's two batteries already and now my two Mavics are standing in line.  Those Mavics have wind issues.

I made it home with 7% left.  Yikes!

Mmmm that's a bit close to the mark.  I'd be kaking meself long before then !!
Because my immediate surroundings are somewhat limited as far a interesting places to fly/photography.  I tend to only fly down to about 40% and swap batteries.
Did manage to get out the other day to "cycle the batteries"  I enjoy the flying apart from the pics.  As we are still "limited" by the virus there were quite a few folk walking the paths with kids & dogs.  I found some of the comments interesting.  They varied from one old Chook "Drone eh.  Should be banned.  Who are you spying on ?"  to "Mind if I wait until you bring it back in ?  I'd love to have a good look at it"
It takes all sorts .......... and no one seems to worry when a light aircraft flies over at 500ft !! (1,000ft over populated areas)
2020-5-2
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

and no one seems to worry when a light aircraft flies over at 500ft !! (1,000ft over populated areas)

Many pilots nowadays, not many paying attention Any pilot who understands a little ... knows full well that these maneuvers and routes are impossible in civil aviation.

2020-5-2
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Air Navigation in Geoengineering and ENROUTE Charts

https://aeromotores.wordpress.co ... a-y-cartas-enroute/

2020-5-2
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

The Pilots and Controllers continue to talk to Radios that broadcast in Analog and direct their navigation making use of Via Radio aids in linear systems for more than 50 years. Meanwhile, passengers communicate with UMTS phones, use satellite navigation in their private vehicles, and listen to the radio in digital format.

Clarify the impossibility of carrying out certain flight patterns within the Civil Aeronautics of Passenger Transport.

Both the Air Routes using VOR-type Radio Aids (VHF Omnidirectional Radio Beacon) and those using NDB (Non-Directional Radio Beacons) have limits regarding their “Route Width”.

In the following photograph published in the FAA Manual, we can see the structure of the “Airways” and the maximum for the lateral deviation that the Route limit legally establishes.

Two points of an Airway determine a direction and two directions. Not all Airways have both directions, since there are a large number of sectors in Airways limited to Air Navigation in one direction.

2020-5-2
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-5-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Frank,

Good to see you are doing well.  Quite the Buddah!  A regular village there.

Be safe!  Good to see the numbers have gotten better!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

sky wombat Posted at 4-27 04:38
Well Manxmann if you guys would stop lighting fires it might rain
I've given up on BOM as they haven't got it right for ages. I mean we are supposed to be hit by snow. I may be wrong but i think you need clouds for that. We don't have any

Aloha wombat,

So have you gotten hit by snow?  I keep forgetting you guys are entering winter now.  And just when it is getting warm up here!

Be safe and take care!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 5-14 01:15
Aloha wombat,

So have you gotten hit by snow?  I keep forgetting you guys are entering winter now.  And just when it is getting warm up here!

As a rule, we don't get snow, but it was very cold where I am this mornig, 2.4 degrees C. That's about 35 to you.
2020-5-14
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 5-14 01:15
Aloha wombat,

Had some falls in the mountains a week or so ago but almost tropical here with a -3C this morning.  As long as I don't stand still for too long should be good.
p.s. looks like I lied as it was -4.7°C. Pretty soon the P4P battery will tell me it's too cold and is not interested
2020-5-14
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-14 13:55
As a rule, we don't get snow, but it was very cold where I am this mornig, 2.4 degrees C. That's about 35 to you.

Still running around in shorts here Geebax but I have a suspicion that’s about to change. On the good side, as long as the wind dies down you get almost perfect flying days.
2020-5-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-14 13:55

Aloha Geebax,

I hope it is not to me!  That is why I live here where 60 F is freezing!

Be safe and take care!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

sky wombat Posted at 5-14 15:56
Had some falls in the mountains a week or so ago but almost tropical here with a -3C this morning.  As long as I don't stand still for too long should be good.
p.s. looks like I lied as it was -4.7°C. Pretty soon the P4P battery will tell me it's too cold and is not interested

Aloha wombat,

Standing still!  They will call you Frosty the Snowman!

Well, we do get snow up on Haleakala and the two Maunas on the Big Island, but for me 60 is freezing!  

Be safe and take care!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-26 01:55

I was planning on excercising  my batteries today,  by the time I got organised the breeze was in & our local waters quite choppy - but it didn't rain !!  

Aloha Manx,

How far away from Sharks Bay are you?  Do you ever get to see the researchers out on the water?  There are at least 3 different groups.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-19
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 5-19 00:21
Aloha Manx,

How far away from Sharks Bay are you?  Do you ever get to see the researchers out on the water?  There are at least 3 different groups.

G'day Cetacean,  we are a fair way south of Sharks Bay - about 1,000 K in fact.  But for 25 years we lived in Carnarvon which is at the top end of the Bay & abeam Bernier & Dorre Islands.  
We spent a fair bit of time sailing in Sharks Bay and used to sail to Denham regularly.  
Some beautiful water and sea-life to be seen.  
I heard of researchers into Dolphin & Dugongs (Sea Cow) of which there are plenty but never actually met them.  The only researcher we did come across was a Yankee Sheila who was there to record the communication sounds of migrating whales.  We had an interesting few days listening in on her recordings.  
Good times up there,  but a bit hot for an ole fella !! ;)
2020-5-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 5-19 01:01
G'day Cetacean,  we are a fair way south of Sharks Bay - about 1,000 K in fact.  But for 25 years we lived in Carnarvon which is at the top end of the Bay & abeam Bernier & Dorre Islands.  
We spent a fair bit of time sailing in Sharks Bay and used to sail to Denham regularly.  
Some beautiful water and sea-life to be seen.  

Aloha Manx,

Yes, Shark Bay is also a base for whale research.  Right Whales, Humpback Whales and Sperm Whales are the ones I am familiar with.  I think that is where they discovered that freediving with the Sperm Whales had very good, up close and personal, results.  That technique is not used around the world.  Actually, almost all the Cetacean Research initiated at Shark Bay has been world leading research.

Interesting you should mention how hot it is there at Shark Bay.  Almost every source with background on Shark Bay mentions how hot it is.  Do you know if the prevailing wind comes off the desert there?

I hope you are doing well and staying safe.  It has been something of a relief to see that most of the CORVID-19 numbers coming out of Australia have been good.  

Take care!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 5-24 01:08
Aloha Manx,

Yes, Shark Bay is also a base for whale research.  Right Whales, Humpback Whales and Sperm Whales are the ones I am familiar with.  I think that is where they discovered that freediving with the Sperm Whales had very good, up close and personal, results.  That technique is not used around the world.  Actually, almost all the Cetacean Research initiated at Shark Bay has been world leading research.

Yes our Covid numbers are excellent.  Unfortunately the Eastern states  want us to open the borders to them.  No travel is allowed into WA except as authorised and subject to quarantine.  We are happy about that,  but the Eastern state would be travellers are not.  
The free diving with whales you mention .....  are you thinking of the whale sharks ?  That normally occurs a little further north.
Carnarvon hot ?  Not if you look at the met stats.  However their Stevensons Box is located at the airport which is a short spit from the ocean & mangroves.  As soon as you move away from the coast the temp rises a degree per mile;  that's what we used to reckon anyway.
The wind blows from the SW from Sept to mid Jan and keeps the temps down.  Once it stops and the Easterlies start is when it gets hot but dry.  I always said a dry 45 was better than a humid 35 !
March 7 2007 we registered 53.1 shade temp at our place.  That was in no way normal,  but weeks of 40 plus certainly is.
All okay until yer hair turns grey then the hot just gets hotter !  
We laugh when Melbourne or Sydney have something approaching 40,  you would think it the end of the world.  No one gives a thought for the "Squatters" (station farmers - sheep or cattle) that work their properties in 45 and 50 degrees without a second though.
It's a grand life ;)
2020-5-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 5-24 01:28
Yes our Covid numbers are excellent.  Unfortunately the Eastern states  want us to open the borders to them.  No travel is allowed into WA except as authorised and subject to quarantine.  We are happy about that,  but the Eastern state would be travellers are not.  
The free diving with whales you mention .....  are you thinking of the whale sharks ?  That normally occurs a little further north.
Carnarvon hot ?  Not if you look at the met stats.  However their Stevensons Box is located at the airport which is a short spit from the ocean & mangroves.  As soon as you move away from the coast the temp rises a degree per mile;  that's what we used to reckon anyway.

Aloha Manx,

Good to hear from you.  I kind of got tied up.  Mahalo for the temperature information.  I must say I do enjoy the way  you guys carry on down there.

Not whale sharks although they do swim with the whale sharks.  Western Australia and New Zealand are becoming Cetacean Central these days.  I was surprised because for 50 years it was Monkey Mia and the dolphins there.  The Sperm Whale discovery of freediving interaction is the latest.  They have the largest brains in the world and an amazing curiosity.  With freediving they really get up close and personal.  

Preferable to stay on their good side.  They stun giant squid with intense sound and could easily kill a human just using sound.  Most all of the Odontocetes stun prey.  Some of the beaked whales do not even have teeth.  They stun squid and slurp them.  They even have two grooves along their throat for better suction!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-28
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 5-28 02:14
Aloha Manx,

Good to hear from you.  I kind of got tied up.  Mahalo for the temperature information.  I must say I do enjoy the way  you guys carry on down there.

This is my kind of conversation. I'm learning a lot. Keep it going. I can't add anything on you guys level. The only thing I have free dove with, was Florida manatee. I have had a lot of contact with them. LOL
2020-5-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 5-28 18:17
This is my kind of conversation. I'm learning a lot. Keep it going. I can't add anything on you guys level. The only thing I have free dove with, was Florida manatee. I have had a lot of contact with them. LOL

Aloha GS,

Well, that is because there is a lot to have contact with!  In Western Australia they have dugongs that fill a similar niche to manatees.  All very interesting, but my heart is with the Cetaceans.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-29
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Hello My Friend .....

2020-5-30
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

JetSam Posted at 5-30 02:16
Hello My Friend .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZLVFGg7RA4

Very nice indeed.
Makes me laugh when occasionally there is a post asking "Why are we limited to 400ft AGL ?"  When there you are presenting a beautiful piece of video,  a lot of which was filmed at less than 50ft.

Ripper  
2020-5-30
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Just realized - we keeping one of RPH's last posts alive.   I like that    I am sure he would too.  
2020-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules