12Next >
3637 55 2018-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparkAvatar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1079 ft

Dear all,

I have following situation. We just bought several days ago to go on vacation this Wednesday.
I was flying with Spark near our home to test the gesture features and RC.

We used 2 batteries, everything was fine. Then on the 3d battery. I was flying with the drone on open space and then walked a long the road and was flying the drone near me on a low height close to the ground. And suddenly lost  the connection with RC i couldn't control it anymore, AND!!!! It began to increase the height!! This happend so fast that i couldn't real
I really pushed the knob downward, but the drone didn't react! The drone flew into the tree 2 times! The 1st time it fell down, but luckily didn't touch the ground and became stable in the air but continued to increase the height!!!!! I tried but couldn't catch it! The drone didn't survive the second touch with the leaves and fell on the ground. Unexpectedly, I even have the video of this situation. The drone just recorded this part, see below.

Also on the internet (youtube and this forum) I discovered that I'm not alone who had such problem with Remote Controller that suddenly lost connection.
The question is also why it went upwards?? Maybe because it was looking for the home location?

Now, when connected to my i get following errors:
  • vision sensors
  • gimbal status disconnected
  • camera sensor error
  • Forward vision sensor error (4)
  • Air Encoder error (0x800000)

I tried to refresh the firmware and reset to factory setting. Nothing helps. Still same errors.
The camera doesn't send video to smartphone and cannot be controlled using RC.
-------------------
I contacted DJI Service, but they even didn't get the problem. Here is their answer:
• Please ensure that you are using DJI's recommended device. You may refer to the list below that best work with your aircraft:
<Refer to the aircraft's Download Page for compatible devices>
• Please unplug and re-plug your mobile device's data cable or use a different cable for your RC (For P3A/P3P, P4 Series with no built-in screen, Mavic Pro, Spark, Inspire Series).
• Please manually re-link your aircraft and remote Controller (P3S, P3 4K and P3SE).
• Please Re-launch the DJI Go/Go4 App to refresh the connection.
• Please uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go/Go4 App (ensure that you have backed-up all your files from your DJI folders to your computer before doing this procedure).

----------------------
Now what should we do? We depart on vacation this Wednesday and wanted to record some nice videos :'.(
Who is responsible for this and who is going to repare/replace my drone?

2018-7-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We apologize for having troubles with your DJI Spark.  You mentioned that you are getting some errors on your DJI Go 4 app and even if you already reset back to factory settings , still nothing seemed to work and still having the same errors. For situations like this we strongly recommend to send in the aircraft for rigid diagnosis and evaluation since it crashed. Our data analysis team will investigate what really happened during that specific flight. Please fill out the form below for us to proceed. Thank you.

Online Repair Request
2018-7-7
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

When it loses connection, the default is it tries to go back to it’s stored home point, and to do that it goes up to the RTH altitude that you set. These are complicated devices that take time to learn. In a world where most peoples VCRs flashed 12:00, your story is not uncommon.
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I posted this on another Post where the Pilot has almost same problem just like you, maybe it will help - Yours was a Failsafe Scenario when you lose contact with the RC and the Spark goes into AUTO RTH (Return to Homepoint) so that you won't lose your Drone, this is a Security Feature inbuilt in the DJI Drones. Read more below-

RTH has different mode according to the distance it is from the Homepoint. According to the Setting in the DJI GO4 App it will rise up and come back home.

Maybe you were UNAWARE of these settings / commands. You have also have the option to choose what the Spark will be doing during Failsafe RTH is Triggered (Losing Connection), like Hover, Land where it is, or go to RTH. You can set the height of the RTH too in the App. There are many options as each Scenario is different. Before I you fly I suggest to make a small plan and adjust accordingly. I know its a pain, but these drones look like Toys but are very Complex Machines.

There are 3 RTH Scenarios -

Low Battery RTH - When the Spark has Low Battery the Spark will Return to Home to prevent the battery getting to Critical Low.

Fail Safe RTH - This happens when you lose connection with the Remote (3 seconds) or Phone (20 seconds) - Settings to tell Spark what to do

Smart RTH - This happens when you want to push hold the Button of the Remote for 3 Seconds so that the Spark is FORCED by YOU to Return to Home.

I will send you a video explaining this procedure, last part of the video has some issues with the sound.

2018-7-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"The question is also why it went upwards?? Maybe because it was looking for the home location?"

In case the RC connection is lost, RTH kicks in.
Under trees always a challenge.
In special if further away from home point/starting point
"I was flying with the drone on open space and then walked a long the road and was flying the drone near me on a low height close to the ground."

Next time if walking your (next) drone:
Set/change RTH to RC as often as possible and RTH height to "current altitude"
Gets you a chance that it will have a better outcome!
2018-7-7
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-7 10:50
"The question is also why it went upwards?? Maybe because it was looking for the home location?"

How to set RTC to RC? Are you talking about Dynamic HomePoint?

The question here is why did the rc lose contact with ac considering that the ac is flying near the pilot who is handling the rc.

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-7 11:00

The question here is why did the rc lose contact with ac considering that the ac is flying near the pilot who is handling the rc.

Most probably Trees. They cause a lot of Interference.
2018-7-7
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Philippines

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 11:06
Most probably Trees. They cause a lot of Interference.

IF behind trees, then rc losing connection to ac is acceptable.

@SparkAvatar
Did your ac is flying behind trees when this happened?
2018-7-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-7 11:00

no, not dynamic homepoint.
In the app you can force the Homepoint to be set. every position the spark is or the position the RC is (as long your phone has GPS and position)

And "The question here is why did the rc lose contact with ac considering that the ac is flying near the pilot" that is NOT the only question. That would be the second, methinks!
The more important question is why you have not considered that the App can chrash, the RC can die/lose connection to the Bird, the GPS/Compass could go,  ....! Be prepared, in special if flying under a sealing/under trees.
But:
DJI got you a link. Open a case, they will investigate/look into the records anyway.
And in case the RC/Drone connection went away by DJI hardware fault, they will assumingly get you a repaired bird.
Or tell you how much it is, to repair it.

I am sorry for you for your next holiday.

Edit: Dont worry that you havent seen the  "Multiple flight modes" switch yet.
Worry more that you did not know about how to set the Homepoint to you or to the Spark

2018-7-7
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-7 11:27
IF behind trees, then rc losing connection to ac is acceptable.

@SparkAvatar

No, it was really very close to me. Let's say event less than 1m.
2018-7-7
Use props
landude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126407 ft

Upload your log files HERE  then provide us the link.
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SparkAvatar Posted at 2018-7-7 13:55

Less than 1m ? And you had a Disconnection from your Remote Controller ? I can't understand how you go disconnected at that short distance.

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Maybe the Homepoint was recorded elsewhere ? And the Spark during the disconnect ascended in the Trees ?

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

It looks that you are infact surrended with trees.

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I really hope you solve this issue, let us know the outcome. Contact DJI Support, I am sure they will help you.

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-7 10:50

Hi S-e-ven now I am Noticing that RTH could never kick in.

Why ??

If the Pilot is stating that he/she was just 1m from the Spark, how could Remote Controller get Disconnected ? Maybe because of the Interference from under the Trees ?

2018-7-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 16:22

Why ??

Really?
"How come they have the Video Cache of the Crashes, if there was a Disconnection between the AC and the RC"

You may have to get you a Spark and fly it.
It is a 1080p video, does that say anything to you?
2018-7-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_USgnnXK0QCsr Posted at 2018-7-7 18:46
what does the AC do when the RC LED goes red or if using the phone for control and you lose the link?

Mine just hovers, I thought it would do an RTH?

How far away and how high is it "just hovering", please?
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Can you upload the whole video please and also the Flight Log ?

Flight Log here -----> https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/

2018-7-7
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 16:03
It looks that you are infact surrended with trees.

Here is the place where it happend. As you see there more than enough free space. I'll now try to upload the logs

photo_2018-07-08_19-05-25.jpg
photo_2018-07-08_19-05-23.jpg
2018-7-8
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 19:52
Can you upload the whole video please and also the Flight Log ?

Flight Log here -----> https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/

I didn't get how to extract the logs from Remote Controller? I used only RC, without smartphone when it happend.

I don't have the full video, I have just that part.

Oh, I've watched the recorded videos again. And here is what I've found:
This video is just before the crash. I already noticed some weird behaviour of the drone. That's the reason why I didn't land on the ground and had to take it from the air.

2018-7-8
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SparkAvatar Posted at 2018-7-8 09:07
Here is the place where it happend. As you see there more than enough free space. I'll now try to upload the logs

You are right, there are Trees but not so Crammed near each other, there is Space.

Did you try Contacting DJI ?

I think that you are 100% Right Buddy, there something else going on, again I can't believe WHY the Spark would get disconnected from 1m Away, surely something Technical.

I really wish you the best to solve this with DJI and get a New Drone + Controller !

2018-7-8
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

SparkAvatar Posted at 2018-7-8 09:34
I didn't get how to extract the logs from Remote Controller? I used only RC, without smartphone when it happend.

I don't have the full video, I have just that part.

I noticed that Spark sometimes stuck and for example moves only very well forwards, left, right, but not backwards.
2018-7-8
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-8 09:40
You are right, there are Trees but not so Crammed near each other, there is Space.

Did you try Contacting DJI ?

is it possible that because of refreshing/updating the firmware all the logs could be gone?
2018-7-8
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SparkAvatar Posted at 2018-7-8 10:23
is it possible that because of refreshing/updating the firmware all the logs could be gone?

Updating Firmware will not delete any flight logs.
2018-7-8
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

"Who is responsible for this and who is going to repare/replace my drone?"

My spark flew about a meter or two after i had completely let off the joysticks, I even watched this in the flight records. That meter of no control caused me to run into something and go in the drink. Who was responsible and replaced my drone? Me, at least according to dji. They have some tough calls to be made though, I understand I suppose.
2018-7-8
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 16:22

Why ??

That depends on distance.  He said he was walking a long road.  So how far did he walk from takeoff point? Also how much battery etc.

My thoughts are that he took off and started to walk while flying it near him and depending how far he walk from the takeoff point that should have been marked as hp.  Yes close to home it will just land but it sounds like rth to me. Yes I may be wrong as not enough info but from what I have heard was and sounded like rth.
2018-7-8
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-8 10:40
Updating Firmware will not delete any flight logs.

Because it's completely empty. The loading wheel doesn't stop.

2018-7-8
Use props
nmac
lvl.4

Also why the disconnect from RC that close?  that's what has me puzzled.  I know when rth landing the sticks can still control as I have seen many videos of many doing so but!  when it is going up to RTH set altitude I don't think you can cancel nor seen any try to cancel.  I do remember seeing another post the his went into RTH under a tree and tried to cancel but could not while it was raising up to set rth alt.
2018-7-8
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

nmac Posted at 2018-7-8 10:57
That depends on distance.  He said he was walking a long road.  So how far did he walk from takeoff point? Also how much battery etc.

My thoughts are that he took off and started to walk while flying it near him and depending how far he walk from the takeoff point that should have been marked as hp.  Yes close to home it will just land but it sounds like rth to me. Yes I may be wrong as not enough info but from what I have heard was and sounded like rth.

I agree with you nmac.

Strange is the disconnection from just 1m away as the Pilot is saying.
2018-7-8
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Philippines

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 15:27
Maybe the Homepoint was recorded elsewhere ? And the Spark during the disconnect ascended in the Trees ?

This is exactly what happened.

Homepoint is recorded somewhere.

But the question is how in hell did his RC disconnected from AC w/in 1m of distance to each other. There is definitely something wrong with the AC or RC.
2018-7-8
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Philippines

This is not acceptable. 1m away to each other (RC & AC)

There is really something wrong with 1 of them. Either RC or AC has a problem.

2018-7-8
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-8 17:24
I agree with you nmac.

Strange is the disconnection from just 1m away as the Pilot is saying.

Just saying that you was right for the most part but forgot that he took off then started to walk away from home point but how far? As with many wonder why the disconnection, could it be a low battery that got it to go home or a disconnection.  with only RC there will be no logs to see.
2018-7-8
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
United States

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-8 18:27
This is not acceptable. 1m away to each other (RC & AC)

There is really something wrong with 1 of them. Either RC or AC has a problem.

Yes something is not right but could also be a low battery RTH  as he was only using RC would not know how much charge he had in AC. But must not exclude a malfunction.
2018-7-8
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Philippines

afaik, even if the low battery rth kicks in, he will be able to manually control it using ac.
2018-7-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

" I didn't get how to extract the logs from Remote Controller? I used only RC, without smartphone when it happend"

When he did not use a phone but the RC only, how he knows the RC got disconnected at all?
Possible that a RTH kicked in, he did not push the RTH button on the RC to stop it, perhaps the RC startet beeping and he thought he lost control, because during the RTH there is no control before you cancel the RTH with the RTH button on the RC.

And if he wanders around, walking the bird with RC only, there is a distance limit to HP/Take off point, which is reached after 50m, isn't it?
Plus there is no control whatsoever about battery initiated RTH, ect.pp.

At least it is a "solid" information why there are just fragments of a video:
Hitting the video button on the RC by accident, perhaps.
2018-7-8
Use props
SparkAvatar
lvl.1

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-8 21:40
" I didn't get how to extract the logs from Remote Controller? I used only RC, without smartphone when it happend"

When he did not use a phone but the RC only, how he knows the RC got disconnected at all?

I think you are completely right about what happend.

If i'm not mistaken RC was beeping.
Before walking with the drone I was flying on an open space and used follow me function. it's about 50-100m away from the crash point.
Fragments of video by accidentally hitting the record button on RC.
:-(
2018-7-8
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-8 18:23
This is exactly what happened.

Homepoint is recorded somewhere.

Thats what I am thinking, very strange at such distance to get a disconnect.

This wasn't the case the you where under the Trees and the Drone was far away and above the Trees.

The Drone was right next to you, and should have disconnected.

Very Strange, I wish someone could enlighten us on this Matter. I am very intersted to know why this could happen.

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

nmac Posted at 2018-7-8 20:49
Just saying that you was right for the most part but forgot that he took off then started to walk away from home point but how far? As with many wonder why the disconnection, could it be a low battery that got it to go home or a disconnection.  with only RC there will be no logs to see.

Hmmmmmm....

Good Idea about the Low Battery.

Make real sense, infact yes, the Pilot said he recorded the Homepoint away from there and walked away from his Homepoint, just as you said.

That Low Battery Warning must be the ANSWER.

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

nmac Posted at 2018-7-8 10:57
That depends on distance.  He said he was walking a long road.  So how far did he walk from takeoff point? Also how much battery etc.

NMac-

You are Right. Read this -

SparkAvatar - ''If i'm not mistaken RC was beeping. ''

Its was on Low Battery and the Pilot didn't notice this as he was using the Remote without the Phone.

So the Spark triggered RTH and went up to the Trees and Crashed Twice.

When the Pilot Took off away from the Trees, there it was where the Homepoint was Recorded.

SparkAvatar - ''I didn't get how to extract the logs from Remote Controller? I used only RC, without smartphone when it happend"

The Pilot couldn't see anything, as he was not using a Phone with the Remote.

Conclusion -

So Thanks to the Additional Help from NMac this Crash is Concluded. The Spark went to RTH due to Low Battery RTH.
Low Battery RTH - When the Spark has Low Battery the Spark will Return to Home to prevent the battery getting to Critical Low.

2018-7-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules