IMU initialization
9997 9 2018-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aschrameck
lvl.2
  • >>>

I have just tried using my Phantom 3 after months of sitting in the box. I downloaded the latest update from DJI but I can not get the copter to kick in. I did not have any problems all those months ago, but now since the app update it will not function. Camera comes on OK and it will calibrate OK but when you go to try and take off it comes up with do not move device until IMU initilalization. Any thoughts? It does not come up and say anything about updating the software in the bird.

2018-7-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It could be a couple of things. Either a fault, or the IMU is still warming up. But it is always best to have the latest firmware in both the RC unit and the aircraft.
2018-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry that you are having issues on your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. That is correct you need to have the latest firmware in both the remote controller unit and the aircraft. For reference let me post the official DJI video tutorial on how to calibrate the IMU of the Drone.

2018-7-7
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Do you have it standing on a solid base while it warm up? - there should be no movement or shaking present while the IMU initialize.
If you calibrate the IMU make sure aircraft is cold, the turn off time of five minutes claimed on the popup showed above is far from enough to ensure a fast warmup afterwards.
2018-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I had always placed my Phantom 3 Pro’, in the frost free fridge for 15 minutes, before doing a cold drone IMU calibration.

Then the drones gimbal was calibrated. After that, there is very little, to no, IMU warm up period.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-8
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-7 15:48
It could be a couple of things. Either a fault, or the IMU is still warming up. But it is always best to have the latest firmware in both the RC unit and the aircraft.

"it is always best to have the latest firmware"
Are you sure of that, some, even being in the game for long would claim otherwise and state something like 'I disabled updates of all sorts back some time ago when my aircraft was operating well'*
What do you do yourself i would like to ask?

*source.
2018-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-8 00:42
Are you sure of that, some, even being in the game for long would claim otherwise and state something like 'I disabled updates of all sorts back some time ago when my aircraft was operating well'*

If you have a drone without troubles, updating firmware isn’t a big deal.

I’d much rather be current, than lagging behind, with inferior firmware aboard my aircraft.

I have done every update, as they became available. Might have waited a day or two at the most.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-8 00:42

I never let my P3P go past a certain update, I locked down the aircraft, RC UNit and the Go App at that time. As a result I enjoy trouble free flying all the time, and that was before the NFZ debacle, so I am not restricted by that either. However, my logic in this case is that the OP had already seemed to have updated this aircraft, so he might as well do the rest.
2018-7-8
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-8 02:27
I never let my P3P go past a certain update, I locked down the aircraft, RC UNit and the Go App at that time. As a result I enjoy trouble free flying all the time, and that was before the NFZ debacle, so I am not restricted by that either. However, my logic in this case is that the OP had already seemed to have updated this aircraft, so he might as well do the rest.

Thanks for clearing out, guess the reply then should have been more like - Now the aircraft have been updated make sure controller and app get updated too!
They sure have made it in a way that things need to follow each other.

Wish i had the knowledge a year ago i have now.
2018-7-8
Use props
aschrameck
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-7 15:57
Hi. I am sorry that you are having issues on your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. That is correct you need to have the latest firmware in both the remote controller unit and the aircraft. For reference let me post the official DJI video tutorial on how to calibrate the IMU of the Drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdWgXJME74

Thanks for the info. After calibration of the IMU everything is fine.
2018-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules