1583 65 2018-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Odan Posted at 2018-7-9 07:03
How did you get the stick movements  off of this download.
I only see the whats on the log with no mention of stick movements ????
Am I missing something?????

To give you an idea, see attached pdf file. The whole csv on one page. You gotta zoom in quite a bit ;-)
Actually a pretty good job by Labroides to analyze this within one hour.
40 columns and 3694 lines make it 147,760.00 entries.

DJIFlightRecord_2018-07-06_(19-51-20)(1).pdf

330.26 KB, Down times: 11

2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-9 13:50
Go to the initial phantomhelp link the OP posted.
You have the option to download csv below the map window.

Yes, I see that... thank you.

What a great resource/tool, for us...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Jester125 Posted at 2018-7-8 18:14
No way did I hold the left stick up for 900+ feet, Im pretty sure I would not keep sending it higher when it was out of my sight.  I've never flown above 380 feet in the time I've owned the drone. I checked to see if possibly shut off the max dist and height but not sure, so I'll assume I shut it off while messing with it. It seems that your taking my misfortune as a personal attack on you or maybe your a lawyer for DJI and think I want some kind of compensation but I assure you that when I say it just "flew away" I'm asking people with knowledge in this forum for an explanation or thoughts into what might have happened and I dont think it literally just flew away. But thanks for your harsh feedback, there are always people like you in every forum I belong to. Thanks everyone else for your input.

Hey Jester,
don't be offended! People here are trying to help and some do have quite excellent knowledge.
Also: Labroides and all others here are no DJI employees. Just regular guys like you and me. (besides the mods).

I guess you got very nervous and usually people have faulty memory about the actions they took while panicking.
And your flight record is full of actions that look like panicking.

It looks like your last and desperate step was trying to bring it home through limiting altitude + distance in the app.
Sorry  - I really had to laugh about that one. But who knows which stupid  actions I will take some time when I'm seeing my drone sail away.

Wait for the July 18 DJI press event and see which one may be your next drone.
And you'll never make that mistake again: Not watching wind force/direction at your current location.

Good luck!
Messages.jpg
2018-7-9
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

That's more information then a person need to know.  I have a new appreciation of your data reading skills.   You are quite a force at this forum.

good thing you are on the side of truth and justice.   I hope I never need your help but if I do......I will have the utmost confidence in your advice and inturpitation of these logs

you are a DJI treasure...
2018-7-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Odan Posted at 2018-7-9 19:37
That's more information then a person need to know.  I have a new appreciation of your data reading skills.   You are quite a force at this forum.

good thing you are on the side of truth and justice.   I hope I never need your help but if I do......I will have the utmost confidence in your advice and inturpitation of these logs

The important thing is that we can all learn without having to pay for it ourselves.
2018-7-9
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

The more I learn....the less I know.
It's very cool that there is so much experience here at this forum.
Somewhere there's a cartoon of a caveman flying a drone.....That's how I feel about now
2018-7-10
Use props
Jester125
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122740 ft
United States

Well moving on...I decided to go to the place where it was last shown on the map yesterday after work and spent about 2 hours walking through woods,  a cranberry bog and a campground with no luck. My neck is sore from looking up to the trees for so long. I'm gonna see if anyone local has a drone and can help me scan the area from above to help locate it (at a safe height). Its most likely on the top of a tree but its so thick with leaves this time of year it will still be a challenge. In the meantime I'll be watching ebay for used P3's.
Chris
2018-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Jester125 Posted at 2018-7-10 14:36
Well moving on...I decided to go to the place where it was last shown on the map yesterday after work and spent about 2 hours walking through woods,  a cranberry bog and a campground with no luck. My neck is sore from looking up to the trees for so long. I'm gonna see if anyone local has a drone and can help me scan the area from above to help locate it (at a safe height). Its most likely on the top of a tree but its so thick with leaves this time of year it will still be a challenge. In the meantime I'll be watching ebay for used P3's.
Chris

The last recorded location is not where the Phantom will have come down and searching there is a waste of effort.
When contact was lost, it was still 970 feet high and being blown further south at 4-5 mph.
It's resting place will be somewhere even further south.
2018-7-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You didn't have prop guards on it, did you?  
2018-7-10
Use props
Jester125
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122740 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-10 14:52
The last recorded location is not where the Phantom will have come down and searching there is a waste of effort.
When contact was lost, it was still 970 feet high and being blown further south at 4-5 mph.
It's resting place will be somewhere even further south.

Oh joy.

No prop guards.
2018-7-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

With no prop guards, it likely fell through the trees onto the ground.  I'm speaking from experience  :-D

I'm sorry to say it, but the odds of you finding your Phantom are not very good.  Once I lost one in the woods and I knew exactly where it was.  I had full telemetry signal and I also had a GPS tracker on it which was working perfectly.  It was only about 1000 feet away from homepoint when it hit the trees.  And it STILL took me four hours to find it.  FOUR HOURS.  My wife pulled 13 ticks off my legs.  Another time I lost one about 400 feet from homepoint in the woods.  I actually heard it hit the trees and fall into the woods.  Had full telemetry and the GPS tracker.  Took me a solid hour to find it.  

You'd have to do some math.  It was travelling 4 mph heading south flying backwards with 25% battery.  So when did it hit critical battery?  10%?  Do the math and figure out at what point it started to auto land.  Then add some more southerly movement for the wind while it autolanded from 1000 feet high.  Think about how much time it would take to auto land from 1000 feet high.  The answer is it would take a long, long time to come down, drifting the whole way down.  That's a huge amount of woods to search.  It also could have shut off during auto land because it ran out of battery.  These Phantoms are not engineered to do a critical autoland from a thousand feet AGL.  

Consider a GPS tracker for your next one.

Good luck.  

2018-7-10
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-10 15:38
With no prop guards, it likely fell through the trees onto the ground.  I'm speaking from experience  :-D

I'm sorry to say it, but the odds of you finding your Phantom are not very good.  Once I lost one in the woods and I knew exactly where it was.  I had full FPV signal and I also had a GPS tracker on it which was working perfectly.  It was only about 1000 feet away from homepoint when it hit the trees.  And it STILL took me four hours to find it.  FOUR HOURS.  My wife pulled 13 ticks off my legs.  Another time I lost one about 400 feet from homepoint in the woods.  I actually heard it hit the trees and fall into the woods.  Had full FPV and the GPS tracker.  Took me a solid hour to find it.  

Just speculating. At the last data record, the battery is at 25% and will go critical at 10% in about 1.5 minutes. In that time the drone has drifted S.E. at 4 to 5 miles an hour or 660 feet. The drone is auto landing at 10% critical battery from 1000 feet at a maximum descent rate for 1.5 minutes. Drone will drift for another 660 feet S.E. Maybe search 1200 feet to 1300 feet S.E. from last RCdata contact point.

DRONE FLIGHT.JPG
2018-7-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I would loosely agree with your numbers except the log shows it lost contact at the south end of that lake, so I'd say the drone would be further south and might be somewhere between Samoset Rd and Pine Mountain Dr.  Of course, what are the odds of that actually happening?  Probably somewhere between zero and nil.  
2018-7-10
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

So....I open the flight data log.
Some of it even I can understand   Is there a legend or table somewhere that could explain to someone like me which columns  indicate the stick movements ???
I am see facts that indicate that the drone was indeed caught in strong wind.
coming straight down would have turned this into a very simple recovery.  I have a saying.."never lie to your wife or your doctor."    Or Labroides.

I'm not aware of too many things...
I know what I know....
If you know what I mean..   
2018-7-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Was there enough battery for it to descend from that height???
2018-7-10
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

not sure what to believe, but I am sure that my drone just started ascending  after I pressed RTH and then showed I had pressed the stick up when I am sure I didn't not touch it. I cancelled the RTH and brought it down and home.. This did happen at my home where I do get a high wireless interference warning even flight. I was not far from home... but man did I panic... I was already higher than my 300 return to home maybe 350 and it just kept going up..  600 ft before I managed to regain control.

My point is that my data showed I was at fault when I was sure was not ascending.. I had my hands off and RTH was initiated..  I had no warnings in app...   it showed that I did it...
2018-7-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJMik Posted at 2018-7-21 17:25
not sure what to believe, but I am sure that my drone just started ascending  after I pressed RTH and then showed I had pressed the stick up when I am sure I didn't not touch it. I cancelled the RTH and brought it down and home.. This did happen at my home where I do get a high wireless interference warning even flight. I was not far from home... but man did I panic... I was already higher than my 300 return to home maybe 350 and it just kept going up..  600 ft before I managed to regain control.

My point is that my data showed I was at fault when I was sure was not ascending.. I had my hands off and RTH was initiated..  I had no warnings in app...   it showed that I did it...

not sure what to believe, but I am sure that my drone just started ascending  after I pressed RTH and then showed I had pressed the stick up when I am sure I didn't not touch it. I cancelled the RTH and brought it down and home.. This did happen at my home where I do get a high wireless interference warning even flight. I was not far from home... but man did I panic...

Post a link to the data and maybe someone can solve the puzzle.
What drone was it?
If it was one with obstacle avoidance, could the rth path have been towards a bright and low sun?

You can always cancel RTH easily by flicking the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back again.
Try it to see how easy it is so there's no panic if you need to cancel again..
2018-7-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Jester125 Posted at 2018-7-10 14:36
Well moving on...I decided to go to the place where it was last shown on the map yesterday after work and spent about 2 hours walking through woods,  a cranberry bog and a campground with no luck. My neck is sore from looking up to the trees for so long. I'm gonna see if anyone local has a drone and can help me scan the area from above to help locate it (at a safe height). Its most likely on the top of a tree but its so thick with leaves this time of year it will still be a challenge. In the meantime I'll be watching ebay for used P3's.
Chris

I read this thread with interest. As several members here can attest, I often fly my P3S drone at max height and at distances of 3 miles at altitudes over 12000 feet.  ( I also lost a P3 SE but gave the flight logs to DJI who confirmed my new P3SE new drone had a major malfunction that was not pilot error )
There is a thread on that on these forums. I'm known for my cloud surfing video's in high winds at altitudes most people never get to fly their drones.

In you case your logs do show you flew to only a short distance of around 70 feet but up to over 900 feet. The data reveals this.  I have a lot of flights with strong winds but I fly into the winds so that I get a nice tailwind back to home point.  I've had critical battery at 50% because the winds were so strong the juice was being used up rather quickly but got the drone home from max height 1640 from over 10,000 ft altitude and battery warnings had stopped and I was in the green power levels before the drone arrived at home point in a rush.  Also a thread on this event on the forums.

In you case I am afraid to say that Labroides is correct. I also downloaded your CSV and flight logs.  I do not have the same expertise but can see what your flight logs tell us which is a lot different to your own version of what happened.  

Sad to say but  in your case..... see the picture below

PILOT ERROR.png
2018-7-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-10 19:53
Was there enough battery for it to descend from that height???

I would say that if the drone was drifting at 900 ft then went to critical low power the drone would have run out of power before having enough time to descend.  

I have come down from max height on many flights with strong winds and the time to get down from max height means you need to allow a few minutes.  25% battery isn't a lot of flying time. Brought the P3S home from max height from a far distance away at a rapid speed.  I could hear it long before I could see it because of the wind.

62 MPH.jpg
2018-7-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-8 10:13
Well,  the log shows you put it in RTH at least 3x.  You must have taken it out of RTH when you repeatedly pressed the RTH button.  The AC is clearly moving south away from home point while it's in RTH and it's moving at a speed of 2-7 mph.  The only explanation is it was flying backwards fighting a strong wind and losing the battle.  

The weather data shows wind at the surface.  It's possible the wind was in a different direction up at 1000 feet.  Winds are significantly stronger at high elevations.  The higher you go, the stronger the wind.

Watch this in full screen and look at the clouds above and below. The speed of the clouds above was pretty fast. Hovering at over 11000 feet against this wind put my drone into critical battery but flew back from max height with a nice tail wind and power levels back to normal before getting back to home point.  I used full left lock down and full right throttle to bring the drone home.  Was a real rush lol

2018-7-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Odan Posted at 2018-7-10 13:43
The more I learn....the less I know.
It's very cool that there is so much experience here at this forum.
Somewhere there's a cartoon of a caveman flying a drone.....That's how I feel about now

Yes, and then some... ha

B54FE834-3CA0-4C15-8EE2-B93D7A9F017F.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-7-21
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-21 20:09
not sure what to believe, but I am sure that my drone just started ascending  after I pressed RTH and then showed I had pressed the stick up when I am sure I didn't not touch it. I cancelled the RTH and brought it down and home.. This did happen at my home where I do get a high wireless interference warning even flight. I was not far from home... but man did I panic...

I didn't know that you could cancel RTH from remote that way. Thanks
2018-7-27
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-21 20:09

also I have a phantom 3 pro..  no obstacle avoidance...  I do get the strong wireless interference warning all the time in my neighborhood.   no problem in in parks I've been too...  lots of houses wifi signals and lots of high voltage wires all around me and cell towers and airport towers lol..   probably could be any one of those things,  The really weird thing was that the flight log showed me pushing it up and I had my hands off. I was already above my return to home altitude and it just kept climbinh.. I was flying in line of sight but lost my view of it when it got so high.. and I kep lookig down tryng to figure out what it was doing.
2018-7-27
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-21 23:04
Watch this in full screen and look at the clouds above and below. The speed of the clouds above was pretty fast. Hovering at over 11000 feet against this wind put my drone into critical battery but flew back from max height with a nice tail wind and power levels back to normal before getting back to home point.  I used full left lock down and full right throttle to bring the drone home.  Was a real rush lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfDYQ0Y_Ro&t=29s

Beautiful.
2018-7-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJMik Posted at 2018-7-27 08:46
also I have a phantom 3 pro..  no obstacle avoidance...  I do get the strong wireless interference warning all the time in my neighborhood.   no problem in in parks I've been too...  lots of houses wifi signals and lots of high voltage wires all around me and cell towers and airport towers lol..   probably could be any one of those things,  The really weird thing was that the flight log showed me pushing it up and I had my hands off. I was already above my return to home altitude and it just kept climbinh.. I was flying in line of sight but lost my view of it when it got so high.. and I kep lookig down tryng to figure out what it was doing.

If you want help working out what really happened rather than just guessing, go to the link in post #3, follow the instructions it gives you to upload your flight record, then come back and post a link to the report it shows you.
2018-7-27
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the info on this thread. I figured out how to see my flight records, but I can't figure out the date that I had my strange out of control altitude increase...  Next time Ill do this right away.   Really amazing how much info you can get.

What is the standard deviation in battery cells?
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules