Phantom 2 Vision + shooting is shooting in RAW but also saving a copy in JPEG?
2137 7 2014-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zterlier
lvl.1

Canada

I do not know if this is regular behavior or not but I have just recently switched to shooting in RAW and I am noticing that my camera is creating 2 files for the same photo. One copy is in DNG while the other is in JPG. This obviously takes up additional space on my SD card so i am wondering if there is a way to turn of this duplication of photos so that I only get the RAW or JPEG instead of both for each photo.

Thanks
2014-11-2
Use props
joeztan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5660620 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, selecting RAW mode will cause an output of two files: one Raw DNG, and one JPG.

Personally I'd just get a good quality high speed 32GB micro-SD card and never worry about data storage. These are pretty inexpensive.
2014-11-3
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Hi, Yes, when selected RAW mode, the camera shoots in JPEG and RAW file formats simultaneously.  
2014-11-4
Use props
rojoyinc
New

United States

The jpg is so you can see the shot on review. And a thumbnail when looking at albums.  This is common of many raw cameras. My pro camera has the option to shoot one or the other or both. I use both for that same reason
I then throw away the jpg when I copy them from the SD card.
2014-11-5
Use props
zterlier
lvl.1

Canada

Fantastic Thanks for the info. That clears everything up. The problem I was having was when I import to lightroom because the file names where the same lightroom kept importing the smaller jpg file as opposed to the DNG File so now when I import to my computer I simply delete the JPG File and just do my editing in RAW
2014-11-7
Use props
PhantomKnowledg
New

United States

zterlier@gmail. Posted at 2014-11-8 04:14
Fantastic Thanks for the info. That clears everything up. The problem I was having was when I import ...

I thought it was sort of strange too.   I want to shoot in RAW so I made the images the smallest size.   

If someone did want just one file you have to choose jpg.
2014-11-7
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Watching this.  I plan on shooting Raw (new to me) and editing with the 9.99/month PS/Lightroom plan.  Just got my Scott Kelby 'how to' books from Amazon.
2014-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules