NEW To Mavic Air
1802 25 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

Hi Guys & Gals!

So i have flown several other drones and finally decided to take the plunge and get a Mavic Air after reading all the good reviews on it. I just recieved mine on the 5th and been in begginer mode up until this past sunday. Boy what a huge difference between begginer mode and normal mode. This is by far way better than what i ever owned before.

I did buy the fly more combo so don't shoot me for that. jajaja. I do love to go out and have fun with my drones in wide open spaces. I have a total of 3 batteries. I would like to be able to charge them from my car or portable battery charger. Are there any recommendations on what to get and where to get them from? I am also looking into getting maybe 3 more batteries. Eventually i would like to use this for commercial purposes. So with that in mind i am already going through the study guide to go take the test. With that in mind should i register my drone for non commerical use for now or should i wait? To be honest i am not rushing the test thing, just have a ton of other things going on, so it may be a few months before i can get it done. Any advise is much appreciated.
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Mavic Air. I will post the link where you can find all the accessories for the DJI Mavic Air ( https://store.dji.com/shop/mavic-series?from=menu_products ). Once you purchase an accessory for your DJI Mavic Air please purchase the original accessories for compatibility and reliability purposes.
2018-7-9
Use props
Future Shock Filmz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56211 ft

Just got my drone yesterday.......Do I need to calibrate the drone on my Mac and where is the best place to find if I'm running the latest firmware/software updates
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats - best wishes on many safe flights
2018-7-9
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

Future Shock Filmz Posted at 2018-7-9 09:18
Just got my drone yesterday.......Do I need to calibrate the drone on my Mac and where is the best place to find if I'm running the latest firmware/software updates[view_image]

When you have the drone turned on and the controller turned on launch the APP on your phone. It will show connected and the start flight button will be active. Up on the very top it will show something in red stating there are updates that need to be done. When i got my drone i had to update three times. One of those was an update for the controller and the others for the drone.

The only calibration i had to do was the compass calibration. Everything else was normal. On a side note, i read the manual 4 times before i received the drone. Just wanted to make sure i understood everything as best as i could.
2018-7-9
Use props
Future Shock Filmz
lvl.4

A CW Posted at 2018-7-9 09:21
Congrats - best wishes on many safe flights

Thank you for your kind wishes
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Future Shock Filmz Posted at 2018-7-9 09:23
Thank you for your kind wishes

You're welcome  
2018-7-9
Use props
Future Shock Filmz
lvl.4

Apologies for the Q's - Does each flight need to be calibrated?
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Future Shock Filmz Posted at 2018-7-9 09:27

I calibrate everything out of the box before my first flight - I rarely calibrate ever again unless the app tells me to or the sensors are out of line.
2018-7-9
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

Yes, pretty much if the home point is different each flight.
2018-7-9
Use props
MoNoAd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 946788 ft
Brunei

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-9 08:22
Hi. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Mavic Air. I will post the link where you can find all the accessories for the DJI Mavic Air ( https://store.dji.com/shop/mavic-series?from=menu_products ). Once you purchase an accessory for your DJI Mavic Air please purchase the original accessories for compatibility and reliability purposes.

Hi Dji Stephen, I m trying to purchase few items for my MA , but my country Brunei is not on the list and they advice me to order from their online authorised reseller. I wish I can order from DJI official website and enjoy the warranty, discount and membership.
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

MoNoAd Posted at 2018-7-9 14:11
Hi Dji Stephen, I m trying to purchase few items for my MA , but my country Brunei is not on the list and they advice me to order from their online authorised reseller. I wish I can order from DJI official website and enjoy the warranty, discount and membership.

Hi. Thank you for choosing DJI as your next Drone. I will be proving you a link for you to order your new DJI drone. https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy/landing
2018-7-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

No, you don’t need to calibrate every flight, only when the DJI Go app requests it. Even then, it may just be local magnetic interference. My first action is to move several metres away and see if it still asks for a cal.  As important is to check that, once you have achieved a minimum of 10 satellite locks and got a good strength satellite health level, that the drone heading indicator on the Go app agrees with the direction that the drone is actually pointing.  If it doesn’t DO NOT TAKE OFF! The chances are that the compass is misaligned due to local interference and could be as much as 180deg out! If you fly with this you can almost guarantee a fly away! Search this forum and elsewhere for details of this
2018-7-9
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Congrats on your new Mavic Air, have a fun & safe droning time.
2018-7-9
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Future Shock Filmz Posted at 2018-7-9 09:18
Just got my drone yesterday.......Do I need to calibrate the drone on my Mac and where is the best place to find if I'm running the latest firmware/software updates[view_image]

Congrats on your new Mavic Air, have a fun & safe droning time.
2018-7-9
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-9 17:31
Congrats on your new Mavic Air, have a fun & safe droning time.

Thanks! It's going to be a long road to learning everything and making sure i get used to all the rules, but well worth it already...
2018-7-10
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes.  You should register for hobby only for right now.  The reason is that it needs to be registered to fly at all in the US.  So register it now, and then make sure all is proper once you go and take the test.

Welcome to the Mavic Family.  Glad to have you aboard!!  
Don't worry about asking questions.  The folks here are happy to talk about these things all day long, and relish the opportunity to do so.  Bring on your questions.  We'll be happy to help with whatever we can.  We'll also be more than happy if you would share your work with us.  We all love to watch video and see images that other pilots create.

So again, welcome.  Glad you're here.

Fly safe!!  
2018-7-10
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-10 06:10
Yes.  You should register for hobby only for right now.  The reason is that it needs to be registered to fly at all in the US.  So register it now, and then make sure all if proper once you go and take the test.

Welcome to the Mavic Family.  Glad to have you aboard!!  

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the recommendation. I did register it already with the FAA. So that's done. It seems they changed the website up some, looks more user friendly and easier to register drones.

I have one question, i see in a lot of the videos that the drone takes off and hovers at around 4 to 5 foot high. Mine takes off and hovers at 25 feet high. Is there anywhere i can change this?
2018-7-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

El Gordo Tejano Posted at 2018-7-11 09:31
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the recommendation. I did register it already with the FAA. So that's done. It seems they changed the website up some, looks more user friendly and easier to register drones.

I have one question, i see in a lot of the videos that the drone takes off and hovers at around 4 to 5 foot high. Mine takes off and hovers at 25 feet high. Is there anywhere i can change this?

It will do that if you choose precision landing.  If you don't choose precision landing, it will only lift to 4-5 feet.
2018-7-11
Use props
futureshockvisuals
lvl.4

Mavic 2 Pro

Hi friend just picked up my Mavic 2 Pro after returning the my Mavic Air due to IMU Calibration issues. Initial thoughts WOW.

Any help, guidance, tip and tricks I'm all ears and looking forward to being a bigger part of this community.

First Image of my Mavic 2 Pro
2018-9-19
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

Do not calibrate anything unless asked to do so
2018-9-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

wELCOME aBOARD !!
2018-9-21
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-7-9 15:26
No, you don’t need to calibrate every flight, only when the DJI Go app requests it. Even then, it may just be local magnetic interference. My first action is to move several metres away and see if it still asks for a cal.  As important is to check that, once you have achieved a minimum of 10 satellite locks and got a good strength satellite health level, that the drone heading indicator on the Go app agrees with the direction that the drone is actually pointing.  If it doesn’t DO NOT TAKE OFF! The chances are that the compass is misaligned due to local interference and could be as much as 180deg out! If you fly with this you can almost guarantee a fly away! Search this forum and elsewhere for details of this

If the heading arrow is not aligned with the actually drone heading the fault is in the mobile device compass. Its safe to fly but not wise to do! Well depends on what the flight intentions are.

If you fly further away than it can be very usefull to have the that little compass working with the correct headings. (center - arrow - white top marking in line = you know where the drone is).
But when you just point the drone arrow towards the center its flying back home even if the direction is wrong related to the actual North-South-East-West position)

cheers
JJB
2018-9-21
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

futureshockvisuals Posted at 2018-9-19 10:51
Mavic 2 Pro

Hi friend just picked up my Mavic 2 Pro after returning the my Mavic Air due to IMU Calibration issues. Initial thoughts WOW.

Good gosh, i wish i would have waited. My air is only two months old. I would have loved to have picked one of these up, but for now i must wait. Take some awesome shots with it!
2018-9-21
Use props
Tubescreamer57
lvl.1

El Gordo Tejano Posted at 2018-7-10 05:05
Thanks! It's going to be a long road to learning everything and making sure i get used to all the rules, but well worth it already...

Hi El gordo, have you found any software that lets you do a flight simulation to practice flying your drone?
2018-9-21
Use props
El Gordo Tejano
lvl.1
United States

Tubescreamer57 Posted at 2018-9-21 10:27
Hi El gordo, have you found any software that lets you do a flight simulation to practice flying your drone?

No i have not. I have been out just flying and learning. I have tried sport mode, and i am liking in a lot. jajajaja. So far i am doing good. I am in the middle of studying the part 107 so i can take the test soon. Hopefully within the next few weeks.
2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules