Police called for suspicious activity?
1318 37 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

There I was, enjoying a nice flight with my MP on Saturday morning at around 8:00-8:30 near Squires cafe in Sherburn in Elmet. I'd finished flying and I was just sat in my car downloading the pictures and video I had taken when a gentleman pulled along side. (I was the only person/car in the field). This is how the conversation went.Him: "Have you seen anyone flying a drone around here?"
Me: "Yes, I have"
Him:"May I ask why?"
Me: "For my personnal use"
Him: "What do you mean personel use?"
Me: "They're not for sale, they're for my own collection, my use only"
Him: "Does it have a camera"
Me: "Yes it does"
Him: "Well you flew over my house and I was in my underpants"
Me: " I can asure you I don't want to see you in your underpants, you're more than welcome to have a look at the pictures and video I've taken"
Him: "No thanks, we've had a lot of burglarys around here"
Him: "May I take your number plate"
Me: "Is it for your personel use?" For which I got no reply

I stayed around for a while afterwards watching the videos I had just taken and then went over to the cafe for a coffee and to have a look at the few motorbikes that were there.

And that what that, so I thought.
At 3:31 today (Monday) I get a missed called from the police asking me to contact them regarding an incident with my drone.
I paid them the curtiousy of a call back. I explained to the officer that if the guy had been more interested in taking a look at the photos and videos he would of realised I was no where near him or his property. I also explained to her that I have a full log of my flight and it clearly shows where and at what hieght I was during the whole flight and she was more than welcome to have a look herself. She did not take me up on the offer but said she would call the guy back and explain to him there was no need to worry.

One of lifes worriers. I was literally 400ft away and 400ft up from his land.

I just wish he would of taken more interest in what a drone can do rather than think the worst of people.
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. We need to educate more people on the positive side in using our Drones. Drones are very helpful to our daily needs not just for recreation purposes. Let us all help each other and let us all be responsible Drone owners. Happy flying everyone.
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-9 12:05
Hi. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. We need to educate more people on the positive side in using our Drones. Drones are very helpful to our daily needs not just for recreation purposes. Let us all help each other and let us all be responsible Drone owners. Happy flying everyone.

Very true       
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You did the right thing mate - keep a cool head and sort it. Now that guy really does have his pants down
2018-7-9
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I agree Stephen, Really wish the guy would of taken a little interest in it instead of rushing straight to call the police.
I love getting out and flying my Mavic when I can. I have taken a few videos and photos for people and do not charge. Before anyone jumps in that fly's commercially, I only do it for their personal use.
2018-7-9
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-9 12:09
You did the right thing mate - keep a cool head and sort it. Now that guy really does have his pants down

LOL, I love that reply.
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maveriksam Posted at 2018-7-9 12:13
LOL, I love that reply.

2018-7-9
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

It's funny how people really think they are that interesting that someone would want to fly a drone over their house to see them in their underpants.  SMH
2018-7-9
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I should of replied "so have I, I'm not into going commando either"
2018-7-9
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

Out of interest..... did you ask the police officer how she got your phone number ???
2018-7-9
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Squires Cafe
2018-7-9
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GazFromBrum Posted at 2018-7-9 12:33
Out of interest..... did you ask the police officer how she got your phone number ???

No I didn't. I just presumed she got it from my registration number. Mmmm got me thinking now!
I might call her again and ask.
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - nice pants!
2018-7-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

You have handled the incident very well giving a good example, thank you for that!
2018-7-9
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Another reason we need quieter Drones .
2018-7-9
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

Kingram Posted at 2018-7-9 13:24
Another reason we need quieter Drones .

Currently only one that is stealthy, 10M AGL 20M distance and you can not hear it.
2018-7-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I see mainly two groups of people to blame for such incidents: 1. Reckless pilots who really give reason for complaints and are giving all of us a bad reputation and 2. Uninformed journalists who make up stupid articles full of speculations. Normal people who are not familiar with drones but reading such stories understandabliy will take a critical attitude and get worried.
2018-7-9
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like good sensible policing.  Acting on a complaint in a neutral manner, establishing the facts them passing the results onto the complainant.
2018-7-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

You handle that very well.
2018-7-9
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, Why were flying do HIGH??? Way pass the height limit in UK
2018-7-9
Use props
Folkestone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2018-7-9 14:29

400ft is roughly 120m which is the limit for the uk.
2018-7-9
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Sorry to hear you got harrased.  You handled it very well.  
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

dronist Posted at 2018-7-9 14:29

400 ft above ground level to now has been a guideline in UK under CAA regulations. As of 30th July it will be written into law. Anybody going over 400 ft above ground level will be liable to fines & potentially jail (presumably if an aircraft had been endangered).
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

You handled that very well, I suppose its not to be unexpected at some point, given that the drone code advises people with any concerns at all to call the police on 101 (non emergency number).
2018-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose it begs the question, how do we as a community try to change the perception of people like that. You will find he will have no problems whipping others into a frenzy , as to the danger and intrusion in both their personal lives and property.
Do we ignore it
Do we try to educate
Do we wait around for someone else to do something.

We may have right on our side, but they can create serious problems for users.
2018-7-9
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Folkestone Posted at 2018-7-9 14:34
400ft is roughly 120m which is the limit for the uk.

Got it Dude. Forgot about the meter and feet
2018-7-9
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-9 16:06
400 ft above ground level to now has been a guideline in UK under CAA regulations. As of 30th July it will be written into law. Anybody going over 400 ft above ground level will be liable to fines & potentially jail (presumably if an aircraft had been endangered).

2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

dronist Posted at 2018-7-9 16:54

Just think yards, plus ten percent
2018-7-9
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I always keep distance with house and avoid flying too close to private area. Just don’t want to get trouble with the local. You really don’t know how the people react when flying too close.
2018-7-9
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>

I used to be one of the paranoid ones, then I came to my senses. Once I understood the capabilities and limits I changed my thought process. I’m also mindful of other people.  I just want to explore my area from the air and take scenic pictures. Unfortunately there are a lot of tin foil hat types. You did a good job keeping your cool.
2018-7-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

im glad you handled it so well!   i can't deal with asshats....and its sad, they so uneducated and they refuse to even try to understand.
2018-7-9
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I had a run in with the same guy- Here's his picture just in case you happen to run into him.
2018-7-9
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

If he was able to see and hear your MP at 400ft I'd be surprised - maybe he just saw you with the RC plus take-off and landing, and got that 'red-mist' moment people seem to get just at the mention of 'drone'. Some guy driving along a road spotted me and yelled out his window while driving towards a busy road junction ... 'Got a license for that!' - I'd just unfolded my MPP and was not yet setup for take off (and yes I was over 50 metres away from the road and 150 from the junction). I've noticed people rarely notice the MPP when in flight and above 70 metres or so.
2018-7-9
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... 'Where's Willy' ...
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Celsus Posted at 2018-7-9 22:46
[view_image]

I had a run in with the same guy- Here's his picture just in case you happen to run into him.

2018-7-10
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-7-9 23:29
If he was able to see and hear your MP at 400ft I'd be surprised - maybe he just saw you with the RC plus take-off and landing, and got that 'red-mist' moment people seem to get just at the mention of 'drone'. Some guy driving along a road spotted me and yelled out his window while driving towards a busy road junction ... 'Got a license for that!' - I'd just unfolded my MPP and was not yet setup for take off (and yes I was over 50 metres away from the road and 150 from the junction). I've noticed people rarely notice the MPP when in flight and above 70 metres or so.

Mavic is easily audible at distances from the operator of well over 400ft unfortunately.  Its also visible if you know where in the sky to look (not that easy for the non operator).
I find you can hear it before you see it.

That said, most people come up to me with the drone because they see me with the RC and tablet not because of the drone itself.
All bar 1 interactions have been positive and curious.  I came across my first self-righteous arse last weekend but he's West Walian so its a character trait for them anyway.
2018-7-10
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in the USA and this sort of thing would not happen. If I ever got approached by a "worry wart" I would simply tell them about Jesus Christ and commence with a salvation session and then baptism shortly after. (no joke) People that worry so much about stuff like this have issues and perhaps the person that questioned you needed a friend; a friend in Jesus. Over medicated and perhaps had some previous issues with trust and stress. Pray for the guy and for the police woman that had to waste her time to deal with it. ~ props to calling them back and being a man about it. ~ props.  (see what I did there?)

Thanks for sharing.

2018-7-10
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-9 16:39
I suppose it begs the question, how do we as a community try to change the perception of people like that. You will find he will have no problems whipping others into a frenzy , as to the danger and intrusion in both their personal lives and property.
Do we ignore it
Do we try to educate

That's a good question Hallmark, and something to think about for all pilots.

I do think the answer is try to educate, and try to be an ambassador.
People approaching will often do so because of presumptions, and its good to emphasize by looking at it from their perspective and try not to go defensive.
When having ears for peoples concerns and explain what you are doing in a disarming way does get you the furtherst in coming to an mutual understanding in my opinion.

We came back from Portugal a few days ago, we were staying at a very nice rural hotel where people understandibly come to enjoy the peace and quiteness. It was a beautifull place and ofcourse I wanted to take some shots of our holiday and the facility.
After a couple of days I chose a moment of the day that there were not many people in and around the facility, set up my Mavic Air when lying under an umbrella near the swimming pool. I purposly did this so everybody around could see, and after I unfolded the Mavic I walked to everybody with the drone and asked them If they'd mind me flying around for a few brief moments to take some shots. Not one single person had a problem with it and with their consent I went to the hotel reception and also asked them if they had any objections.

By doing it like this it took away not only the presumptions, but it also enables you to enjoy your flight yourself better because you know you are not going to be bothered.

When on my second battery there was a new family that joined the ficinity of the pool, and a family father was looking a examening with a somewhat angry eye on what I was doing, I gave him a friendly nod and landed the drone a couple of minutes later, I walked to him with some presumptions myself about him not very fond of the idea I was flying there. To my own surprise we had a very nice conversation and he was really interested in the capabilities of the drone, he knew it was a DJI and I probably gave him the last push to buy one for himself.

I have some great footage of the hotel, its facilities and its surroundings, and again I've learned that not only others have presumptions, but I myself walk around with them to, and it does very much help to clear the water upfront when you want to fly in peoples ficinity.

Ofcourse it wont help all the time, but if you can get ahead of things and try to create understanding, go for it.

2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules