Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ipad pro Questions?
1313 11 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Recently purchased an Ipad Pro 10.5inch. Its an amazing machine, albeit I am not an Apple fan. I find myself at odds with it at times  and hope you guys can help.
Is the viewing resolution on the tablet the full video resolution when filming?

I dont think it is but I want to be sure. If it is, can it be changed? Like 4k down to 1080p in the DJIgo app?

I make .mp4  videos with H264. I dont have a 4k viewing device. One of the reasons for wanting the Ipad is that I could view H.264 up to 4k. However when I edit and try to drop the 4k video into the Ipad pro while hooked up to my computer, the Ipad says " it could not be downloaded to the IPAD because the Ipad cannot play it". Now if I re-render and down scale the resolution to 2224x???? with all other settings the same, I can transfer the file. The Ipad has a resolution of  2224-by-1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

So two questions come from this.

Is it still 4k when I downscale it?

If not how do I transfer and play the 4k video in the Ipad? Thanks for the help!

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M‑JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, you just need to go into your camera settings.

You will find your recording parameters there.

RedHotPoker

2018-7-9
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 18:20
Yes, you just need to go into your camera settings.

You will find your recording parameters there.

Just to clarify, its not the recording I am concerned about, its the display resolution on the IPAD.
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

James R Posted at 2018-7-9 19:13
Just to clarify, its not the recording I am concerned about, its the display resolution on the IPAD.

Then no. Not to my knowledge.

You have control of your cameras resolution, but not the display.

You can only record in different parameters.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Your iPad does not have 4K by the spec you listed above, it might be able to show 4K sources but then doing it in a scaled down version.
two resolutions is called 4K, 4096x2160 and 3840x2160, the latter is also know as UHD (Ultra HD), if you look closer you'll notice it is the double of the full HD 1920x1080 resolution.
2018-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

James R Posted at 2018-7-9 19:13

What you see on the iPad is the live view transmitted from the P4 to the RC. This is sent at a fixed 720P @30 fps and can at times be subject to radio interference.

The video resolutions you chose dictate the format of the file that is stored on the aircrafts micro SD card.

The iPad will automatically rescale the 720P to best fit its display.

Edit:- if you have 'Cache during video shoot' enabled in DJI Go 4 then the display device will save its own copy of the 720P video stream to its own internal memory. You can set how much you want used for this Cache, and also set it to automatically delete oldest file as the Cache becomes full.

Edit 2:- The cached files on the display can be used as preview, edited and sent to social media as they are (720P). Normally to view or work with the 4k files it would mean removing micro SD from aircraft (Or connect aircraft USB to PC and use it like a USB Hub) insert micro sd into computer, and best to transfer the files to your primary drive for viewing or editing on PC. You could try viewing them off of SD card, but USB port might not always provide the steady flow of data required to see them at their best.
2018-7-10
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 19:44
Then no. Not to my knowledge.

So if I understand you right, I should be able to render my video to 3840 and transfer my video to my iPad directly from my pc?
2018-7-10
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-10 02:48
What you see on the iPad is the live view transmitted from the P4 to the RC. This is sent at a fixed 720P @30 fps and can at times be subject to radio interference.

The video resolutions you chose dictate the format of the file that is stored on the aircrafts micro SD card.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the way the display looks better than my iPhone5, but I was hoping to fix some of the pixelation it has at this size.....
2018-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

James R Posted at 2018-7-10 02:58
Don’t get me wrong, I like the way the display looks better than my iPhone5, but I was hoping to fix some of the pixelation it has at this size.....

If the live view signal is good then there should be no pixilation, that is either being caused through radio interference or something running on your display using up resource, meaning that DJI Go 4 might have trouble displaying things as it should. There is also a possibility that DJI Go 4 itself has a glitch, this does happen from time to time. If pixilation is consistently bad then try deleting and full reinstall of latest DJI Go 4.

Edit:- I use the iPad 9.7 (2016) which displays all well and only get artifacts on display through radio interference or weak signal.

Edit 2:- I can stream 4k files to my iPad from my network drive and the iPad rescales them to my display resolution to keep the aspect ratio, and all looks supersmooth. With the size of the 4k files you wouldn't want to store too much on your display device without using up all your memory.
2018-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

James R Posted at 2018-7-10 02:58

One other thought.

Run the iPad in Airplane mode, and make sure all other apps are force closed...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-10
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-10 02:13
Your iPad does not have 4K by the spec you listed above, it might be able to show 4K sources but then doing it in a scaled down version.
two resolutions is called 4K, 4096x2160 and 3840x2160, the latter is also know as UHD (Ultra HD), if you look closer you'll notice it is the double of the full HD 1920x1080 resolution.

I tried what we talked about and Rendered the video from premier @ 3840x2160 and the ipad accepted the file. Looks like that is the max resolution i can view at for now. THanks for the help!
2018-7-10
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

James R Posted at 2018-7-10 13:21
I tried what we talked about and Rendered the video from premier @ 3840x2160 and the ipad accepted the file. Looks like that is the max resolution i can view at for now. THanks for the help!

You can record in that resolution straight away, but you still don't have a 4K display to watch it on in the full resolution.
2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules