No fly zone in NJ on Sunday?
785 11 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3fed8d52
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12018 ft
United States

Did anyone in NJ have problems Sunday with the GPS hold. I tried to fly and the Phantom started to fly away on its own. I grabbed it before it fly away. Trump was in the state could their have been no fly zones affecting the GPS
2018-7-9
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft

Solar flares and storms, oh my.

Solar storms this week are going to make stable flying a bit iffy. I went out flying about 3pm monday and my P3 was really being obnoxious and twice I had to land her as fast as I safely could because of abrupt course changes I certainly did not make with my RC. First, it took an abnormally long time to lock 7 sats, then hovering in PGPS was not much different than fighting a 5 mph wind in ATTI mode. Tonight I gave her a good checkup and all is fine. My local Kp index level was only 3 at best according to the UAVForecast app. Yet I could not lock-in 6 sats until 11pm this evening. Not planning on flying again until the sun starts to behave again.
2018-7-9
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 2018-7-9 20:30
Solar storms this week are going to make stable flying a bit iffy. I went out flying about 3pm monday and my P3 was really being obnoxious and twice I had to land her as fast as I safely could because of abrupt course changes I certainly did not make with my RC. First, it took an abnormally long time to lock 7 sats, then hovering in PGPS was not much different than fighting a 5 mph wind in ATTI mode. Tonight I gave her a good checkup and all is fine. My local Kp index level was only 3 at best according to the UAVForecast app. Could not lock-in 6 sats until 11pm this evening. Not planning on flying again until the sun starts to behave again.

Interesting .... i flew yesterday and each flight it took about two mins to lock on to a home point ?
2018-7-9
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

Yep, I always check the UAV Forecast app for winds and Kp index before topping off my batteries. The forecast reported quite favorable conditions but the gps was still going nuts. Had to go on ATTI mode to bring it  home without trimming the bushes.
2018-7-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes there was restricted airspace in NJ on Sunday due to a VIP.

I've never had problems with solar flares or what not.  I have had problems acquiring the 6th and 7th satellite, but it's rare and due to lack of visibility - nothing to do with solar flares.  Below is a good post discussing solar flares.  

https://phantompilots.com/threads/solar-flares.35796/#post-331319

2018-7-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Is there any error message popped up on the screen?
2018-7-10
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

If there was a no fly zone for a VIP that affects airspace, they have nothing to do with the GPS satellites. Think of no fly zones, temporaray or permanent, as curtains in the sky.
2018-7-10
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

Flew it this morning, not as bad as yesterday but at least it did not drift 8 feet from the home point before setting into a stable hover.  
2018-7-10
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

Went out to fly again about an hour ago thinking that after sundown the solar radiation would have had little or no effect on gps and compass. I was wrong! I let the drone sit in the middle of a 1/4 acre field behind my house and once it had set a home point, I let it stay parked while watching the map. In a 2 minute period the drone icon had moved more than 100 feet in several directions on the map. Played back my screen recording later and saw many micro disconnects in the video feed. No warnings about weak signals.
The Kp index forecast was 1 at the time but now I believe the Kp figure is irrevelent when it comes to effective gps accuracy. Only 8 sats locked out of 21 visible. I usually get 11 locked at that same location.  Auto takeoff and then let it hover, watched the drone playing 'blind man's bluff' 3 meters way the home point. It's good that I did not intend to fly the distance today.  
2018-7-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I'd love to see that video of the drone icon moving more than 100 feet in several directions within a two minute period.  Can you post it on youtube and post the link?  Thanks
2018-7-10
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>

A useful phone app can be found to verify your flying location.  Go to this website, https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft ... re-drone-safety-app, and download the app for your device.
2018-7-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

https://www.westernjournal.com/c ... onservative-tribune
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules