Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A SWING...and A MISS!!!
123Next >
8645 100 2015-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-23 11:18
PeteGould- Fantastic! What a good read and THANK YOU for bringing it to my attention!

What a frank ...

The article itself is indeed interesting but what I was trying to point you to was the following user comment, in the comments section just below it.  It sounds like something any of us might have written:

ExperiencedFlier ExperiencedFlier 15 hours ago
It would be great if the authors of this article revisited DJI CEO Frank Wang in light of the post-release issues attached to DJI’s flagship product, the Inspire, which started shipping in February. There have been a series of technical problems including Inspires shutting off mid flight and crashing into the ground (or falling into the ocean), disastrous firmware updates that cause sudden in-the-air loss of control, and an insistence by DJI to only services these devices in one central location in each country. The result is that these centers are horribly overloaded. The Los Angeles repair center, for instance (the ONLY place an Inspire can be repaired) has a six to eight week backlog for repairs of the $3,000 unit. Communications are nonexistent – to the point where owners are told not to contact the repair facility for an update unless the product has been there for eight weeks without any word. For a prosumer product being used commercially, this has hit the owner base very hard because of the frequency of malfunctions induced by defective firmware updates, some of which instantly render the unit inoperable. Once this happens there is no way to reinstall firmware, or to downgrade to the previous version, without returning the unit. Even the $200 batteries get firmware updates that often render them inoperable, and they too must be returned for 6-8 weeks. Similar stories are being heard from European and Asian countries.

By the way: sometimes that service or replacement honors the warranty. And sometimes an owner whose $3,000 aircraft shut off mid flight, with a full battery charge, fell 200′ and was destroyed in its first week of operation with no hint of pilot or owner error, is told all they can get is a 30% discount on a replacement. Warranty, schmarranty.

If Wang respects Steve Jobs’ ideas, as he has repeatedly stated, he desperately needs to study Apple’s service model. Because DJI’s is an utter disaster for itself and its customer base. Since the release of the Inspire, even warranty service for the Phantom series has been centralized, meaning Phantom owners are now seeing the same delays. Coupled with the failure rate, this could drive DJI’s entire customer base to competitors if it is not promptly fixed.

Anyone who thinks this posting is being written by a competitor or a troll should Google the DJI Inspire and read the postings on worldwide message boards like InspirePilots or RCGroups or DJI’s own community forum. Note all the complaints and the COMPLETE lack of substantive response by DJI. That is the FIRST thing Wang needs to fix: open, honest and forthright communication with the customer base about what is wrong and what is being done to fix it.

I’m an Inspire owner myself and deeply frustrated because this could be an AMAZING product but it is being driven into the ground by these problems – and DJI is completely and utterly silent on what, if anything, it is doing to address them. If they don’t fix the mess they are making, they will render my $4,000+ investment in their products valueless.

2015-5-22
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-23 12:26
The article itself is indeed interesting but what I was trying to point you to was the following us ...

PeteGould- You are indeed a passionate soul! Please be careful as it would be regretful should you be banned for speaking the truth and quoting factual evidence to your point.

I did pick up on your meaning behind the post you kindly left. DJI and its silence is truly bewildering and (in my case) extremely irritating, to say the the least. I have heard mentioned though, there is indeed the wind of change upon the sails of our mammoth antagonist. With the recent inflow of heated verbiage concerning the massive failings and/or incompetence in services provided (or not) by DJI, there has been a shroud of silence cast upon the operational HQ of DJI, North America. It has been said, at the higher levels of the mentioned company, changes are in the works. The details of this particular upset to power and rank is yet to be determined. As with many items brought to light in the past, this too may result in nothing but, unfounded speculation and/or fodder.

I say this, we know DJI, without a doubt , monitors this forum like a small child does a Christmas tree on that one, special night. As such, they know what words we type into the forum every day. Yet, to this point, I have not seen a post by any moderator offering assistance, guidance or otherwise. Though it is not my place to determine their fate, it would be my hunch that, because this thread has continued on an intelligent path, instead of a ranting one, silence, not an offer of help, will be the only true outcome we can expect. As I feel no ill will toward DJI on a personal level, nor do I wish to insight an argument, I do find it tremendously interesting that I have yet to hear from certain known individuals of the forum about their progressive thoughts on the matter. In actuality, my personal thought is that their opinions aren't truly warranted and they must feel the same. Again, not trying to insight and argument, it is simply my view on the subject.

Sir, you made an interesting comment, "Anyone who thinks this posting is being written by a competitor or a troll..."  whereby suggesting there is possibly an anomalous being amongst these pages who wishes to express their thoughts against my person elsewhere within the forum? If this be true, let them eat cake! It is these types of unwarranted attacks on a person who, with a true grievance, has posted the truth that irks me. Mayhaps I  am making a mountain of a mole hill...my apologies, I digress. However, if, by chance there is one among us who thinks me untruthful, perhaps I should begin to post photos of the damages pre & post 1st repair as claimed, all 148 of them. Not to mention all of the documented facts that followed.

Honestly though, I do seriously welcome ANY comments should they be posted here, it's what a forum is also for, to voice opinions, large, small or indifferent.

Look at the time! My apologies for wasting so much of yours reading. For those of you lucky enough, go fly and enjoy!

Many sincere thanks to all of you posting on this thread with your thoughts, comments and support.

Thankful to read your words,
-S.N.
2015-5-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-23 13:57
PeteGould- You are indeed a passionate soul! Please be careful as it would be regretful should you  ...

Just for sake of clarity... what I posted above was not my writing.  It was a cut-and-paste from a reader of the Forbes article which was posted to the Forbes site.  The remark about someone potentially thinking the post was written by a competitor or a troll, that was not a remark about you (or this thread).  It was a remark specifically about the posting to the Forbes article.  On reflection it is probably well-stated - someone who flames the company featured in an article by Forbes could very well be a competitor.  I would imagine the folks at Forbes themselves might wonder if that comment was posted by someone at 3DR.

As far as my being banned from this forum for posting the link and the other user's comment... I would hope not.  I'm not opposed to DJI.  I'm a fan of their products.  I hope they are wildly successful.  I certainly don't hate them.  But I have to frankly admit that is because (probably ONLY because) I have not had one of the awful experiences that keep being described here.  If MY Inspire shut off mid-flight and was destroyed due to a defect, and the situation was not properly handled by DJI, I would not lightly take the loss of a $4,000 (including batteries and accessories) investment.

I also share the concern expressed by the poster of the comment to the Forbes article: like him or her, I worry that if DJI sinks its own ship by continuing to mishandle the post-sale experience, my Inspire, along with everyone else's, would become worthless - given that there would be no repair facilities or replacement parts.  That is what motivates me to keep pushing, along with others, for the company to clean up its act.
2015-5-22
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-23 14:18
Just for sake of clarity... what I posted above was not my writing.  It was a cut-and-paste from a ...

I did pick up on the the quotes from the article comments as not being yours, and as to the inquiring about who was calling 'troll', I was poking a bit of fun in an attempt to lighten the mood. Please, pardon me if it felt as though I was serious or it was at your expense as I meant neither. I enjoyed what you posted, the article was well played.

As to you being banned, that was definable as well, as a joke, meant only to joust about those who have been deleted from the forum for speaking out.

I do understand your passion for the product as well as both improving customer service and protecting your investment, rightfully so on both points. And, in all seriousness, wish you nothing but perfection from your Inspire.

Never would I wish such a well versed person a negative thought. Again, my apologies if my comments sounded a bit off key, I meant no ill will.

Sir, you are 'Da Man'!
-S.N.
2015-5-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-23 14:34
I did pick up on the the quotes from the article comments as not being yours, and as to the inquir ...

No ill will inferred.  
2015-5-22
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Although...

In my opinion;
DJI deserves a swift kick between the lading gear, right in the ol' gimbal.{:2_39:}

Ooops! Did I just type that? As juvenile as it may have sounded, it was heart felt, er- something like that.

My apologies, there's that veil creature mentioned in the first part of the this thread. Time to put him back in the box...but, not ready to lock the lid just yet.

-S.N.
2015-5-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-25 04:28
Although...

In my opinion;

If you check the updated comments on the Forbes article, it seems another reader copied and pasted your entire story from this thread onto the Forbes site.  The author of the original Forbes article has seen the comments because he has elevated several of them for enhanced visibility.  This may mean there will be a follow-up article about these issues.  I put up a comment there myself.

I don't hate DJI.  I really do hope they get past these problems. But they have to improve communication and be straight with their customer base as a #1 priority.  It may take press contacts and a follow-up story to provide that motivation.  We will see.
2015-5-24
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

PeteGould I would like to see the article that you just mentioned.     I have seen the link that you posted.   Just do not know how to view what you are referencing above.  Thanx man.
2015-5-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-5-25 08:08
PeteGould I would like to see the article that you just mentioned.     I have seen the link that you ...

This should take you directly to the comment on the article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ... ent/1904-10385-1228

Depending on your browser it may take you to the comment or it may just take you to the article.  If it just leaves you at the article, scroll to the bottom and locate the Comments section.  Make sure to click on Expand All Comments.  Definitely worth a read.
You should also be able to directly reach my own comment on the same article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ... ent/1904-10385-1234

2015-5-24
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Thank you PeteGould.    Awesome.
2015-5-24
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-25 08:04
If you check the updated comments on the Forbes article, it seems another reader copied and pasted ...

PeteGould- Thank you for the heads up.

As I have made clear, I don't hate DJI, I'm just not as enamored with their tech as I once was. In all truth, I would still love to fly, I really would but, the more I read here and else where there are more and more reports of the units operating perfectly one second and being out of control the next. Are there not at least and average of four (4) reports a day of an Inspire crashing or going out of control?

Believe me when I say, I would love to have trust in this unit. The crux of the matter is those around me trust my judgement to have their best interests in mind at all times. It is the job of the pilot to practice safety first, at all times, during all aspects of the flight. The Inspire, in my opinion, does not offer the trustworthiness needed for me to make that guarantee to family, friends or the public at large. It was recently said to me, "...just go somewhere safe...an open field...to fly it..." That would be a great solution except for the following simple example;
Should a fly away occur when the unit hits an altitude of, oh say 200 ft and takes off at a high rate of speed (happened to me first hand) @ approximately 40mph ground. Said Inspire, with a fully charged battery, could potentially fly 20 miles from the home point. At the hieght offered, unless you are in the middle of 15 story buildings, the unintended splash down sight could be extremely hazardous (like barreling down on a freeway, school, etc) and even prove fatal.

Call it what you will, but these things are not your A-typical model aircraft. It would be easy enough to vilify DJI for the Inspires creation but instead, I say the opposite. I see potential for some serious good to be done. My main issue is that further testing should have been completed, analyzed and repeated to ensure the product is in fact, safe for public use.

Safety, NOT PROFIT will win the hearts and minds of current and prosepctive consumers.

My apologies, I am tired, rambling and do not wish to sound like I am directing any anger or malice toward you, my friend. My intention is to only voice my thoughts on the subject, render those thoughts/points clear and offer facts in that need for clarity.

You are a good man Mr. Gould, please don't take the above as any type of argument. My hope is that I understand exactly what you are saying and, in true form, am offering the point that I am in total agreement with you concerning DJI customer service issues.

I'll pop by tomorrow, until then safe flights.
-S.N.
2015-5-24
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-25 08:41
This should take you directly to the comment on the article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ...  ...

PeteGould- GREAT WRITE UP!!! WELL PUT, SIR!

And again, thank you for posting here and providing your support. Keep them (posts) coming!
It is humbling, to say the least, that someone would utilize this post to offer a point. Many thanks again for making me aware.

Humbly,
-S.N.
2015-5-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-25 12:05
PeteGould- Thank you for the heads up.

As I have made clear, I don't hate DJI, I'm just not as ena ...

We are on the same page, my friend.  No worries.
2015-5-24
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Thanx for the link PeteGould.    Looks this companies profits may be taking a turn for the better.
2015-5-25
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-22 10:40
Ph02on- Like the screen name, clever!

Thank you for you interest and comments. QC does seem to be ...

Sky Ninja,

I have sent you an email.

2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

To those of you with concerns, I wanted you to know that DJI LA contacted Sky Ninja today.  We offered to troubleshoot his Inspire 1 issues or arrange for his unit to be exchanged with a Refurbished unit.  Sky Ninja declined both options, and said he would be reaching out to his dealer for support. He mentioned he appreciated the offer and call back though.  There is nothing else that we can do for him at this time unless he wants our help.
2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 02:14
Sky Ninja,

Tahoe_Ed- Which email are you referring to, sir?

After receiving a phone call today from DJI, NA and speaking with 'Mark', I received one email from him concerning a photo showing the bottom airframe plate that holds the gimbal, camera and sensors to the unit.

DJI Technology  

Add to contacts  

7:03 PM         

To: (S.N.)   

support@djitechnology.zendesk.com

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (142631) has been solved. Please submit a new request if you have any further questions.

M. F.  
M. F. (DJI Technology )

May 27, 16:02

Dear (S.N.),

Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

Best Regards,

DJI Customer Service North America

Attachment(s)
I1 no screw.JPG

The second, was a request to rate the service provided by the phone call:

DJI Technology  

Add to contacts  

9:12 PM  

To: eric bellon  

support@djitechnology.zendesk.com

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Hello (S.N.),

We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:

How would you rate the support you received?

Good, I'm satisfied

Bad, I'm unsatisfied

This email is a service from DJI Technology . Delivered by Zendesk
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Other than the two listed above, I have received nothing else from DJI or the likes. Photos of each email can be provided, should there be a need for clarification. May I ask the content of the email?

-S.N.
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-28 12:01
Tahoe_Ed- Which email are you referring to, sir?

After receiving a phone call today from DJI, NA  ...

I never said an email.  I stated we contacted you and yes you talked to Marc.  We offered what I stated before and you told Marc that you declined the offer and were seeking the support of your dealer.  Are you saying that conversation never occured or we did not make the offer of assistance to you?
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 10:22
There is nothing else that we can do for him at this time unless he wants our help.

Judging from the follow-up exchange, it sounds as though there is a disconnect of some kind.  Hopefully some additional effort will result in correcting whatever the miscommunication might be.

We are all collectively hoping that issues like this have awakened senior management at DJI to the fact that there is a growing postsale issue with the customer base.  Many of us are becoming increasingly hesitant to put these aircraft in the air, both due to the stories of flyaways and those of long service times.  All of this can ultimately be solved, I'm sure, but the lack of direct communication from senior corporate management is allowing the rumor mills to go into overdrive.

Your own efforts as well as Autumn's are deeply appreciated.  The issues I'm talking about are at the upper management level.
2015-5-27
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Awesomely stated
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-28 12:24
Judging from the follow-up exchange, it sounds as though there is a disconnect of some kind.  Hopef ...

Pete, I am more than willing to help Sky Ninja if he wants our assistance.  We never closed that door.  
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 12:26
We never closed that door.

I didn't think you would.  That's why I'm thinking there is a disconnect of some kind.
2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 10:22
To those of you with concerns, I wanted you to know that DJI LA contacted Sky Ninja today.  We offer ...

Tahoe_Ed- WOW! Trying for a first hit, crowd control and a bit of PR work there, aren't ya Ed?

I am truly amazed how you have taken such an intelligent and pleasant conversation between Mark and I and are twisting it to reflect that I no longer have any validity in my original post. You never made mention of my making a promise to Mark expressing the fact that I would not be posting 'dirty laundry' as in photos, etc backing the mentioned issues, in addition to other items of fact. No, as a matter of fact, you don't mention most of the positive aspects he and I discussed instead, you choose to try and vilify me as though I pretty much blew it off. Not very flattering to the customer service of DJI to post this as you have.

It is not true that Mark made an offer to troubleshoot the Inspires 1 continuing issues. Instead, he explained that due to the age (3 months old of which DJI, had it for 2.3 of those months for attempted repairs) of the machine, he was not authorized to issue a new unit and instead, offered to replace the newly purchased one with a refurbished one. He was also kind enough to offer assurances, that again DJI would completely test all the systems prior to sending out said refurbished unit. Do I not have basically the same thing in my possession? Did the original unit not go through the same rigorous testing each time it was repaired and sent back? Supposedly, yes. Yet it still sits in it's case, unable to fly. Before you say anything, I also stated to Mark, several times, that I did not take it personally and even respected DJI's ideas in aerial units.
Yet, here you are, in an obvious attempt make it look as though I may be a bit unreasonable in not wanting a used (refurbished) unit to replace the very recently new, $4017.00 combo kit. Unless the unit was replaced with new, it would make no economical sense on my end. On DJI's end it would make perfect sense. It would allow for reduction in overhead and glut LA is currently experiencing. I honestly don't think there are many out there who would responsibly take a chance on a 'refurbished' machine that flies, considering the circumstances.

My point, as I made clear, in a very polite manner, is that I feel  DJI's current technology is not for me, due to safety reasons, experience with customer service and the current status of my I-1  He was quite cordial and stated basically that he understood my thought process. In addition, the uncontrollable, high speed crash into a tree and picking up pieces of the Inspire from my neighbors roof was quite enough to cause more than just a bit of angst There by, it might be a bit understandable as to why I made my point clear that I simply wished my money refunded.
You also forgot to mention, I made a request to return the unit via the customer service line, three times and was ignored twice and told 'no' on the third request. The first two requests were made within the 7 day period required, the last was made on the 9th day of the units possession. (Phone records, notes and person(s) spoken with can be provided)

As to reaching out to my dealer, I did so due to fact that DJI had promised to contact me, via email and/or phone call the week of 5/11/15 with concerns to the camera not showing video upon it's return from the second repair. I had contacted the dealer on 5/21/15, inquiring as to whether or not he had heard from DJI, to which his response was 'no'. When I mentioned to Mark I had reached out to the dealer, he sounded somewhat surprised. The main issue I have with you posting what you did, the dealer asked to not be brought into the forum or make mention that I had contacted him. There are those I talk to personally from the DJI forum. These person(s) also know and purchase from said dealer and have already begun to call, inquiring as to the outcome of my discussing certain items with him. I'm sorry, but I believe you made a poor judgement call on posting that part.

I DID mention that I appreciated DJI, NA reaching out however, in my opinion, it was too little, too late. I don't believe I'm being unfair or disrespectful toward this company in any way, shape or form as I have waited three (3) months for positive assistance in this matter.

One other item you have left out of your post, after speaking with Mark and he explained the 'no screw in the bottom air frame' item, (which has been left open for "future" upgrades, by the way) I told him I would redact the issues as it was my mistake. I had noted that originally, my Inspire had a screw in the now vacant, threaded hole. My mistake readers, it is indeed MY MISTAKE. Oh by the way, Mark said it was "...no big deal..." when I mentioned I would redact the issue on my post.

I had no intentions of my updating this forum in this matter and in truth I haven't, yet. My words were to be more of a relaxed tone (again, mentioned to Mark) and explain that, though I had made a personal decision to part ways with the DJI brand name, I felt as a company, the potential was incredible. In addition, I was going to wish all forum members well, to be safe. It was planned to sign off by thanking each member who assisted and taught me so much.

By posting what you have, I truly believe you to be erroneous and rather one sided in your thoughts.

Delete this if you wish, it will only prove my point. In truth, I have stored all posts made. And, at this point, I sit wondering why, after reaching out so nicely on the phone, DJI would allow a rep to broadcast as you have. Hmmmmmm...perhaps the "olive branch" offered was really no more than a stick meant to poke me in the eye?

By the way, the answer was "no" to the FORBES interview. I felt the subject matter a bit too personal and one sided to honestly answer without being bias.

Take it easy Ed, if you're not careful, the stress of your job will kill you leaving your in box full of, "I wish I had done that's"...relax a bit, it'll do you good.

Thanks for the experience,

-S.N.

2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 02:14
Sky Ninja,

Tahoe_Ed

Then what does this say, sir?

-S.N.
2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-28 12:24
Judging from the follow-up exchange, it sounds as though there is a disconnect of some kind.  Hopef ...

Pete,

As well, I expressed to Mark I had no ill will toward him, I simply felt the turmoil within DJI was not conducive to my wanting to further the relationship with their product.

-S.N.
2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 12:10
I never said an email.  I stated we contacted you and yes you talked to Marc.  We offered what I st ...

Ed-

My point was very clear. And, though I do respect your position on this forum, I am beginning to find you argumentative tone toward the situation as a bit worrisome.

I have expressed no ill will toward you, nor DJI. I have implied humorous remarks in an attempt to quash the angry tone which is often taken when contacting DJI concerning their faltering units. Even Mark made the comment that a couple of the things mentioned gave him a good laugh and that DJI, North America felt, in no way, that I was attacking them. Do you deny this? Personally, I feel as though, because I said "No thank you" to DJI, you are seeming to show a form of aggrivation in your postings not normally observed.

-S.N.
2015-5-27
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Pete, I am more than willing to help Sky Ninja if he wants our assistance.  We never closed that d ...

Ed,

This is true, the door was left open by Mark for me to contact him if I changed my mind on the refurbished unit. Again, I thankfully declined. I can not fathom the reason why this point would not be insulting to say the least. Again, 8 flights, >30 minutes of use in 3 months. Why not offer a new one? A partial discount? There has been NO other offer save for the refurb'd unit. Mark made it very clear that it was DJI's final offer. Are you denying that point of fact, sir?

The offer to assist is much appreciated. Had it come 3 months ago, I would have jumped on it. I have seen you do some great things for others on the forum. My apologies but, the contacts made and assistance I have received from STC Electronics of NYC have been beyond INCREDIBLE and it is my belief this issue can go no further, nor can it be resolved in some last minute effort. The damage is done.

In being pragmatic, my patience alone on this subject has been more than enough to warrant the fact that I simply want the solution to be a simple one, allow me the refund I deserve.

-S.N.
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Pete, I am more than willing to help Sky Ninja if he wants our assistance.  We never closed that d ...

Having read the follow-up posts I can tell you one thing: if MY Inspire had such a small amount of flight time and had been through the repair experience described by Sky Ninja (and let's face it, he may be the current poster child for this kind of thing but he is FAR from alone), and I was offered a refurb instead of a brand new unit, I would have bought a plane ticket to LA and used my press contacts to conduct a press conference on the company's front doorstep.  Sky Ninja appears to be being much more pleasant and philosophical about the whole thing than many of us would be in like circumstances.

Naturally DJI as a company may make any business decision it chooses.  However, it has made a series of decisions since this particular product's announcement, starting with its chosen level of transparency, candor and forthrightness in mass communication to its customer base, that are increasingly likely to trigger a mass customer exodus if it is not very careful.  A company like 3DR will be looking for cracks in the armor that it can exploit.  This post-sale-customer-experience issue is not merely a crack.  It is an enormous yawning chasm large enough to admit an entire aircraft carrier.

I for one ordered our Inspire in November.  At the time I based the decision in part on the announced availability of a robust stock of repair parts, such as motors, and an authorized dealer within driving distance that had an on-premises DJI-authorized repair facility.  My expectation was that we could do most repairs in-house and in the event of something catastrophic were within a three hour drive of factory-authorized repair.  Had I waited and learned that repair entails trams-national shipping followed by six to eight weeks of turnaround (even leaving out Sky Ninja's repeated repair QC experiences) I not only would not have bought - I would have described my analysis to others, who likely would not have bought.  And that's JUST based on the repair situation, before we talk about any of the other things that are going on.  Multiply that by the number of readers of these forums and you have a significant cost.

Ed, you seem to do a great job for the most part in putting a diplomatic face on what sometimes is a very difficult situation.  As I said before, these are corporate decisions we are taking issue with - and the impact of those decisions is beginning to mushroom.  I do hope top management catches and fixes the trend.  We have $4K invested in our own Inspire and I would hate to see it orphaned.

There are now a lot of eyes on what DJI does with Sky Ninja's situation, not only here but in the comments section of the Forbes Magazine story on Frank Wang.  I do hope for all concerned that someone in a suitable position of authority at DJI does the right thing by him.  The visibility of that issue is growing by the day.
2015-5-28
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Well said folks - I hope that you get the result you are after SN! Stay safe and fly high!

Pete - I don't think that there's a lot of use in evangelising towards Ed. He is stuck in the middle with no resources or way to deal with what is clearly a broken situation.
He has largely abandoned these forums (for obvious reasons, I'd be sick of it by now too!)  and is much more visible over at RC groups.

I also don't think that anything will come from some comments on a Forbes article - you're pinning hopes for change on an unrealistic basis.
DJI will not change their ways until they see a downturn in sales - this will not happen while the ranks of eager newbies queue to purchase their products, or distributors dump the brand.
However none of those people will read that article and sales will remain high. Investors will be interested only in the sales volumes and these are not reducing - DJI cannot make enough units to meet demand.

If there was ANY intention to support the existing user base we would be seeing demonstrable change - more resources in repair centres, parts availability and some progress on resolving the outstanding firmware issues and missing groundstation functions. What we do see is more models and marketing - focus is on sales only.
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-5-28 14:02
Tahoe_Ed

Then what does this say, sir?

I attempted to send you an email and it was returned undeliverable.  
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-5-28 21:12
Well said folks - I hope that you get the result you are after SN! Stay safe and fly high!

Pete - I ...

Farnk666, DJI LA is moving to a new facility in July that will be approximately 9x the size of the current facility that we have outgrown in less than 6 months.  They used to build Boing fuselages in this facility to give you an idea of scale.  We have consistently been adding new employees to meet the demand but we are out of space to put them.  Yes the success of our products are causing delays.  But to say that we are not aware of the problem and choose to ignore it in not true.  Our Customer Service Center handled 600 calls on Tuesday.  That is the most we have ever done.  These guys are doing their best to assist our customers.  
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I will say one last thing.  The Inspire was return to SN on 5/9.  I spoke to the Repair Center Manager concerning the repairs that were done.  All were completed.  The unit aligned and then test flown.  There were no issues noted and we returned the unit to SN.  His objections, "Flown after returned? NO- Camera issues and missing securing hardware. The unit is still not fit for flight."  If you own an Inspire you will find that there is a hole in the center of the gimbal mounting plate but a screw has never been installed nor was it intended to be installed.  Lastly he states that he is not able to get video out.  That more than likely is a App or Device issue and has nothing to do with the Inspire.  We test flew it with a device attached.  We would not have sent it out if we got no video.  I am willing to help with that.  When we talk about refurbished units, we are talking about returns new in the box.  We cannot sell them as new so we use them as replacement units and for parts.  Before we send them out they are throughly tested.  We don't send out "well used" products.  SN if you want to talk to me, I will be happy to talk to you and help you with your video issue.  I cannot authorize a "new" unit for you or a refund.  Those that can have declined your request.  I have not been aggressive or condescending towards you.  I merely state the facts as I see them documented by you and by DJI.  I am trying to help you.  
2015-5-28
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 23:40
I attempted to send you an email and it was returned undeliverable.

Apparently, you might want to check the address as typed. I only suggest this as a common mistake of replacing the  'E' with an 'A' is often made at the last two letters of my email. Perhaps you could get a link provided by Mark, as his emails had no trouble in being delivered.

I look forward to reading/responding to it.

Humbly,

-S.N.
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 23:59
Farnk666, DJI LA is moving to a new facility in July that will be approximately 9x the size of the ...

Ed,

THAT is the kind of announcement that the customer base wants to hear.  That - and whatever other changes are being made that will meaningfully affect the customer experience.  If the company added a dozen programmers to chase down bugs, the base wants to hear it.  If a bug is discovered that is a strong suspect as the cause of flyaways, the base wants to hear it.  If the company can REPRODUCE the flyaway or uncontrolled climb problem, even if it hasn't been isolated yet, the base wants to hear it.

What customers are looking for is evidence that the company is actually making an effort.  Given that the effort can take weeks or months to be seen (such as purchasing a former Boeing plant as a service facility), describing the effort so customers can see forward motion would do a lot to alleviate negativity.

What doesn't work is stony silence until something is actually implemented.  We saw that in a recent firmware revision: DJI never admitted that there was a firmware issue with controllers spontaneously shutting off until it was fixed with a firmware update.  And even then - it appeared only in the firmware notes, but was never announced by the company.  It came up in THIS forum only because it was picked up by members who read the notes, who then posted about it.

If DJI had announced the existence of the problem the moment it was discovered, acknowledged it, owned it, said it was being addressed ASAP, and suggested what (if anything) owners should do in the meantime, it would have had a positive affect on customer perception.  Instead, the effect was negative: the perception ended up being "You mean DJI knew about this for all the time it took to write a revision - and let me FLY with a controller that could suddenly shut itself off?  HOW COULD THEY?"  Very, very different perception.  THAT is what leads customers to the conclusion that the company is either uncaring or clueless - because it doesn't TALK ABOUT the things that demonstrate otherwise.  And it needs to.

I'm not telling you this stuff to beat you up.  You don't make these decisions.  I know that.  Most readers here know it as well.  But we have to give this feedback because otherwise someone will draw the erroneous conclusion that the customer situation is under control - and honestly, it's not.

With all that said, I'm still majorly torqued that when it comes time for routine scheduled maintenance on this aircraft, I am expected to pack it up and ship it to the opposite coast (either adding two weeks to the repair schedule for round-trip shipping or hundreds of dollars for air freight).  Before making the purchase I ensured that I was buying from an authorized dealer with a substantial repair facility, within driving distance, that was doing warranty work on Phantoms and was forecast to do the same with Inspires (as of November when the order was placed).  The company really needs to regionalize service again.  Can you imagine having to ship your CAR back to the manufacturer for scheduled service?
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pete, that is why we posted the maintenance manual which can be found at DJI.com.  You can do it yourself.  That was primarily meant for commercial users in other countries that require a maintenance schedule for the craft to be certified.   

Some of what you describe has to do with culture.  Here in the west we feel we have a right to know everything.  It is not the same in China, it is on a need to know basis.  To ask that they change hundreds of years of doing things they way they do is going to be difficult.  We have many bright people in this company many of them were educated in the West.  Things are changing and will continue to change.  It will just take time.  You don't see the kind of explosive growth in a company without issues.
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-29 01:35
Some of what you describe has to do with culture.

Oh, I think it ALL has to do with culture.  I've written those precise words - including my belief that to the Chinese, Westerners must appear ridiculously self-entitled and spoiled - in prior posts on this forum.  I KNOW that's the problem.

Hand in glove with that though is the fact that people make buying decisions on that basis, which is why if a Chinese company can't evolve quickly enough, they will be overtaken by an American company that outsources its manufacturing to China or elsewhere to take advantage of pricing issues but has an American management with an understanding of the western consumer, and proceeds accordingly.

I hope the changes come quickly enough.  The DJI technology is awesome.  The problem is all the other stuff.  My guess is that to get on top of it, DJI needs a western division helmed by a westerner who understands western culture.  Precisely BECAUSE you can't change thousands (I believe it IS thousands, not hundreds) of years of culture this quickly.  So something has to bridge the gap.
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Pete, that is why we posted the maintenance manual which can be found at DJI.com.  You can do it you ...

Ed,

While I'm at it.  The maintenance manual has the following section on motors.  Two of the sections on inspecting the motors (paragraphs 3 and 4 below) talk about ordering replacements.  If replacement motors are needed, can you tell me the procedure for ordering them, and where to find the instructions for performing a motor replacement?  That isn't covered in the manual, but since it talks about ordering replacement motors rather than sending the unit in for service, apparently it does contemplate the idea of field replacement.
Capture.PNG
2015-5-28
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-29 00:25
I will say one last thing.  The Inspire was return to SN on 5/9.  I spoke to the Repair Center Manag ...

While I agree the unit looked in much better condition following the RMA/ESC when received, I do not take for granted posting Ed, you pointed out the exact information as I stated with. As suggested by DJI and several professionals, I inspected every aspect of the units repairs, based on the notes made with issues, prior to attempting any flights made. Please pardon my need for safety...

You stated that the unit was flown, tested, no issues found, and returned. I have not denied the fact that it was indeed test flown. You state that the Inspire was flown with a camera attached? Yet, my camera and gimbal assembly was here in GA while the unit was sent for repair as requested by DJI. As stated in the opening of the thread, under 2nd repair:

"Was the unit-
*Updated? YES- Pilot App indicates ‘Newest Firmware’
*Test Flown by DJI? YES- Pilot App indicates flight"

Also posted under 1st repair was:
"Was the unit-
*Camera checked? YES- Worked perfectly
*Updated? NO- Pilot App indicates required update (DJI said it was in email)

This indicates that not only did the camera work upon the first return but, the fact that pilot app did as well. By the way, I use an iPad Air 2- 128gig for main controller and a Dragon Touch Android for secondary, each of which worked perfectly with every prior use. The app on both simply shows 'NO SIGNAL' with no video. Just to clarify, the IOS and ANDROID have been deleted and reloaded SEVERAL TIMES. If, as you claim:
"That more likely is a App or Device issue and has nothing to do with the Inspire. We test flew it with a device attached."

So the unit was tested with another camera, correct? If so, then why are you implying that I or my equipment is in error. The camera has been easily confirmed. In short, I went to a local hobby shop (owned by a friend) and found the camera to be faulty, by simply swapping his personal Inspires camera/gimbal, that works fine, to mine. Guess what? Still no video on my unit. As well, my camera shows video and operates on his Inspire just fine. Plain and simple, checked the camera by due process and it works on one unit, but not the other. It's not like this is the first and/or only report of the issue. Therefore, your assistance, though well met, is not required. Please understand, I try to ensure I check all that I can, PRIOR to making any statement(s). This has often proved crucial in obtaining a factual report for a client.

**The screw hole issue was addressed in the 6th paragraph of my response to you, under your post "To those of you with concerns..." Again, I stated that it had made a mistake. So, one more time, my apologies to the reader for the error.**

As to offering a refurbished unit, my apologies however, it sounds a bit suspicious. It has never been explained openly. But, that is again, based on current dealings with DJI and only my opinion.

Ed, I appreciate your offer(s) to help but, as noted in several previous, this is above your pay grade and position within the company, proven by the inability you currently face, to do nothing more than to provide what Mark originally offered.

In making the statements mentioning your aggressive or condescending tones; There are several points, but I  need only to point out a few items, you appear to lacking in writing a correspondence.
1. Do not attempt to jump the gun on statements that you think MAY be made, without reading and understanding the facts presented prior.
2. Taking quotes from statements made very clearly within the same post and trying to use them against the posting identity, is bad form. There has been nothing I have not said within this forum that is not transparent, easily readable and detailed.
By doing so, often the person making or quoting obvious statements of fact later in the same conversation,  leads a reader of the forum to wonder if said person had indeed read and understood the replies left him.
3. (This one is most important) Speaking of someone in a third party manner upon their post while addressing the entire rest of the forum shows an obvious attempt to shame, belittle or chastise a person for not complying with your wishes. For instance:
Billy's mother addresses the entire family at a reunion, telling everyone that he got a spanking for not doing what he was told. (We've all had that one moment in our lives...)
Please sir, I am somewhat experienced in life and what you attempted to do against me was obvious to all.
In stating your facts, do as you wish, mine are here on the forum for all to read.

"I am trying to help you." Ed, understand this please, you are not authorized by your upper management, to help. Though appreciated, please do not take it personal but, you have nothing more to offer. Look at the situation at hand, my friend;
Can you bring something new to the table? No...
Can you offer a new unit? No...
Can you authorize a refund? No...
I don't see how you can help. The entire Chinese cultural experience is a unique one. It is a culture that likes to haggle, makes no apologies and NEVER gives money back in the form of a refund. You buy it, it's yours, rip off or not. I get it, I really do. My issue is that American consumers are being told a falsehood that has put PROFIT before SAFETY (quote it from several of my posts) My warning to DJI is this;
Even the likes of Toyota, Chevrolet, AIG, BP and Enron were taken down or out by a handful of people demanding justice. I promise, I will not waste my breath crying out for a law suite on a company forum as I find it to be ludicrous and rude. Why waste the money? No, not I. Instead, I will sit back in my chair and watch, knowing in the back of my mind, that money will have been returned and I have had no worries of endangering those around me by utilizing the overly mentioned product of this forum.

NOTE: THE ABOVE IS OF MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Kudos to those still flying, I wish each of you a perfect flight, every time.

-S.N.

2015-5-28
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-29 00:41
Ed,

THAT is the kind of announcement that the customer base wants to hear.  That - and whatever ot ...

Well put, Mr. Gould, well put.
2015-5-28
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Pete, that is why we posted the maintenance manual which can be found at DJI.com.  You can do it you ...

So, are you saying the manual really wasn't meant for those of us in the US? Hmmmm...

Though I get your point in cultural differences, do you not think, that it would be imperative for a Low Aerial Photographic Platform operator to understand the significant dangers he/she faces in putting something in the air, that could cause potential harm to a person or structure. Without that kind of knowledge, would DJI not be shooting themselves in the metaphorical foot? In summation- DJI unit crashes, crash makes news. Operator claims and proves issue with firmware and controller. Operator, not wanting responsibility,goes to proper news group. News group investigates, firm ware issue is brought to light, DJI in hot seat, FAA begins closing the skies with more and more restrictions to responsible, hobby and semi-pro operators.

Perhaps it sounds as though I am pointing at you, please take no offense as it is not intended in that manner, you are simply their forum rep. I've said it once, twice, thrice...I would never want your job.

need to know eveything
2015-5-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules