Crashed MAVIC Drone after Serious Connection Failure. LOST
6073 76 2018-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 19:55
I was actually thinking something similar, but going a bit larger, say an Inspire 2 or Matrice M210... But it's very risky, because yes the second drones' line can get caught and take it down too

Depending on how far Mavic Air has to be lifted and carried, a Mavic Pro should do the job.
There was a video posted here from YouTube showing a Mavic Pro lifting another Mavic Pro out of a Tree.  The distance was pretty short, but Mavic Pro got job done.

2018-7-11
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Better to use another drone to locate the MA first. It’s risky to lose another drone to left it out there. When fixed the location a long fishing rod may be able to lift it up.
2018-7-11
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-11 13:57
I have no knowledge which personal tragedy or substances are at stake here, but I sincerely hope that you will get good care as soon as possible. I sincerely wish you well in these difficult times you must be facing!

Agreed. You sir have always been professional and your information is reliable.
Thank you for contributing to this forum. YOU sir add value.
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 13:11
JJBSpark has not posted these publicly, nor has he informed me he did an analysis, so I will go with the analysis performed by @Brantel until such time that @JJBSpark posts these publicly in the corresponding thread, not here, as you are once again troll hijacking this thread.

If @JJBSpark is passing you these logs in secret, and then you're posting them against me, that is very underhanded of him, so I hope that is not the case.

Hi Hallmark and Edison,

I am kindly mis-used by Hallmark. He asked me to analyse a very short flightlog without really explaining why. After my analysis i noticed the name of the drone.....not his drone.
Ok, i thought next time better ask why i am asked for an analyse.

Now i see that my analysis and my text is used in an ugly fight between Hallmark and Edison.
I do not like too shout and speak with an angry tone on a public forum, i am too educated and skilled to lower myself to that kind of behaviour.

To put it mildly ;  I have absolute no admiration for any person who uses other people to get their own being right feeling!

Cheers
JJB
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 13:11
JJBSpark has not posted these publicly, nor has he informed me he did an analysis, so I will go with the analysis performed by @Brantel until such time that @JJBSpark posts these publicly in the corresponding thread, not here, as you are once again troll hijacking this thread.

If @JJBSpark is passing you these logs in secret, and then you're posting them against me, that is very underhanded of him, so I hope that is not the case.

Read my reaction in post #44
2018-7-12
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-12 02:41
Hi Hallmark and Edison,

I am kindly mis-used by Hallmark. He asked me to analyse a very short flightlog without really explaining why. After my analysis i noticed the name of the drone.....not his drone.

Hello @JJBSpark,

I'm truly sorry you got entangled in, as you said, an ugly fight between myself and @hallmark007. It was extremely underhanded of him to request you analyze someone else's logging data with the explicit intent to use said data in that fight, and to misrepresent not only the data in question to try and prop up his failing position, but also get another innocent forum user involved.

As I too normally am fairly level headed, the slander and accusations and twisting of information he was flinging my way, and unto others, had driven me to, let's just say, slightly less than cordial behaviour, and if I offended anyone here with this, I do extend my apologies for that as well.

I have recently been informed that hallmark007 has also taken to harassing others here who supported me, or who assisted with analyzing the data logs and videos I uploaded. This is truly quite sad, and in my view, warrants an immediate ban by DJI admins. It is bad enough he flagrantly attacked me in PM, but to do it to others as well, denotes some real issues.

Regardless, thank you VERY much for clarifying what truly happened! I hope you have a great day, and have many enjoyable flights with your birds!

Cheers mate!
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-11 20:22
Depending on how far Mavic Air has to be lifted and carried, a Mavic Pro should do the job.
There was a video posted here from YouTube showing a Mavic Pro lifting another Mavic Pro out of a Tree.  The distance was pretty short, but Mavic Pro got job done.

Yeah, I've seen that video too mate - very skilled
2018-7-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-12 02:49
Read my reaction in post #44

If it helps, regardless of results of your analysis.  I still believe you to be unbiased and very much an expert in analyzing logs.

But I do have some bad news for you.  I finally got Windows-10 installed on my MacBook Pro.**  Unless there is some hardware problem, I should be able to run your FRAP program too!

** Made mistake of buying a Microsoft USB stick version of Win 10 that had both 32-bit & 64-bit versions on it.   Bootcamp didn't like that at all.

2018-7-12
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Real quick, were you flying in auto or custom frequency? I have had this issue once and it was caused by being in custom and like you described, I had no control until I did a restart of the controller. I have also flown in auto and never noticed this issue, so to help others, I thought that maybe this could be another data point. So sorry about your aircraft, and I hope for it is replaced promptly.
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-12 13:43
If it helps, regardless of results of your analysis.  I still believe you to be unbiased and very much an expert in analyzing logs.

But I do have some bad news for you.  I finally got Windows-10 installed on my MacBook Pro.**  Unless there is some hardware problem, I should be able to run your FRAP program too!

Hi HedgeTrimmer,

great another user of FRAP, if you have any question ; just ask.

cheers
JJB
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-12 13:43

But I do have some bad news for you.  I finally got Windows-10 installed on my MacBook Pro.**  Unless there is some hardware problem, I should be able to run your FRAP program too!

Nah, some others on this forum have way more knowledge. And yes, i see files not the person behind, so hope to write fair text and be unbiased.

My FRAP is made for let`s say a 'First line analysis", check your own flightrecord.txt file and understand what happend. If you logically combine your flight video and your own screenrecord video and the data shown in my program. It will help to understand it better.
Guess mayby 90% can be explained using FRAP, when we need to go deeper the DAT files become usefull, only if we know via reverse engineering all about the signals etc.

cheers
JJB
2018-7-12
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

I checked my log but only see connection disconnected and restored after restart RC. Nothing mention why can’t reconnect when aircraft returned. I also give my MA and RC to DJI support centre to check but they didn’t found anything. I wonder is anything in the aircraft and RC log show the radio information like channel and signal status. It’s still unclear this is hardware, software or environment problem.
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-12 12:02
Hello @JJBSpark,

I'm truly sorry you got entangled in, as you said, an ugly fight between myself and @hallmark007. It was extremely underhanded of him to request you analyze someone else's logging data with the explicit intent to use said data in that fight, and to misrepresent not only the data in question to try and prop up his failing position, but also get another innocent forum user involved.

Hi Edison,

Thanks for your reply.

No need for apologies about your language to me, as i am not the person you talked too.
But I understand you anger when getting annoyed by others.

DJI moderators are not that good, mayby that`s an understatement.
I have read so many postings wich were against the basic forum rules, so yes; some should be warned and banned by DJI moderator. Best thing is simple; never reply on those postings.

Almost 4 weeks summer holiday for me and my family, taken the birds all the way to Southern part of France.

cheers
JJB
2018-7-12
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

I can understand Your problem GDL - had similar experience.
on my maiden flight (middle feb.) of my air first few mins were ok. I was testing range, how it reacts (comparing to my spark, which I owned earlier) all did look ok. in CE got some weak range alerts after 300m, but was able to get to 500ish with laggy image. anyway, then decide to test sport mode near me. flying close range... and then it happen - maybe 20m from me...

no warning, link lost instant, red led on remote. drone did enter RTH after a moment. did wait thinking maybe it's some weak link, interference etc. - but no, link is dead, black screen in app, like drone not connected.
as last resort after some seconds did turn remote off, and on. and then it regain connection! (was already about to land 3m away from me, hovering 1,5m above ground)
I have vid somewhere which I was showing with that situation, maiden flight did rec with gopro. sadly got only flight records - did not think (and know) to get logs that time from drone, Remote etc...
did write to support, was told to reflash with cable/dji assistant (which also created much problems, as PC was not seeing air/remote, solved with some old drivers from old assistant version)
so after renewing firmware with cable, all was not bad - it did not happen till my last spain trip (may/jun) - then once had it again. link lost. no control. this time did turn remote off/on faster (experience... ;) and it reconnect.
from that 2nd incident - I try to fly normally - but I just don't trust this drone. and ofc all pre-start procedure is always taken, 11sat+, no interferences in sensor tab, recorded HP, was calibrated, etc

so there is something wrong with some units - I was not able to reproduce those situation (and i did try a lot after 1st time, doing same path, etc.)
on weekend when I'm back home I'll share my flightrecords and I'll find that video to upload/share
2018-7-13
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

This happen two times for me including latest firmware. It happens rarely but I don’t know what caused the problem and when it will happen again. Now I select take off location carefully to ensure MA can land safely if disconnected. It made me very uncomfortable to fly in risky place and long distance.
2018-7-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-12 22:39
Hi HedgeTrimmer,

great another user of FRAP, if you have any question ; just ask.

I suppose I tripped the critical threshold limit, and now there will be price increases?!
2018-7-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-13 07:12
I suppose I tripped the critical threshold limit, and now there will be price increases?!

yes, but because you passed this i give you discount, its for free
2018-7-13
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 360692 ft

Ok guys - thanks for your analysis.... To be honest I don't really get all of it....

DJI support has all my data - but I don't really expect anything coming in my direction, since I don't have the drone anymore... If someone ever travels there with some good climbing gear - let me know - I give you the exact GPS location...  ;-/

About flight condition I can tell you that I had nothing then just air between me and the drone... The trees you see in the picture are like 500 Meters down the canyon... I did flights like 2km away on other location before and had never this problem... I still think there went something wrong with one of the updates...    (Right now for example my new drone is always driving to the right since last update... Has nothing to do with this case - but just don't get why they change software that used to be working. ?!?!)

As written before - I couldn't control the drone at all after the disconnection. It was homing and I tried to control it since it was close enough... But 0 influence... I never switched of the controller before and just did so because there was no other possibility anymore... Unfortunately it was to late...

Greetings
2018-7-15
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2

Videos Flight

Hi again - I just uploaded the Videos I got on my mobile phone from the flight. In the first one you see the start zone... And it explains hopefully why I could't rescue the drone... It's hard to see in the video - but there was an open space of about +-10Meter for takeoff...

It's 7 Videos - might take some time to upload since I am on slow internet...

Greetings
2018-7-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Looks very windy to me. I hope you get this resolved with happy ending. I hate seeing these threads as these are expensive aircraft. I don't care for the fighting that goes with them at all
2018-7-15
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2
Mexico

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-11 08:13
Hi Freiheitwelt,

Had a look at your unfortunate flight!

Hi there,

well - so it confirms what I always wrote.... It was in auto landing - but unfortunately just at the wrong side of the canyon. I saw it going down for like 5 meters of the edge and in a distance of +- 1,5 Meters of the wall. I couldn't reach it... And no control... When the control came back I wanted to lift it but it already was to close to the side of the canyon and crashed... Since there wasn't any information in the screen I didn't know about battery power nothing... It just came back after the crash - then I took the "Goodbye" Video and Picture....  ;-( ;-(  ;-(   

P.S: The hight in the final picture can't be true... must be like +- 30 Meters down the canyon... Maybe this is another hint?!?

With a working controller it would had never went in this situation... I had more difficult landings before...

Greetings and THX
2018-7-15
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2

GDL Posted at 2018-7-11 19:45
One key problem here is RC unable to reconnect with MA when it returned. It’s not just lost signal but completely disconnected. The connection only restored after power off and restarted RC.

I am not sure anything on log able to show what caused the disconnect. I sent my MA and RC to DJI to check before. However they also can’t explain what’s happen.

Well - I can't sent mine anymore... ;-( ;-( ;-(

P.s: Can Admin please delete the messages that don't belong to my case... Really confusing....
2018-7-15
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 19:55
I was actually thinking something similar, but going a bit larger, say an Inspire 2 or Matrice M210... But it's very risky, because yes the second drones' line can get caught and take it down too

I tried fishing it - Connecting a GoPro to a "Angel" (thing of wood)...  But didn't work at all - 1st didn't find it... 2nd - Camera was always turning...

Climbing down we didn't had the necessary equipment at the end and there was no way to get some. And further didn't I want to risk my live for a piece of electronic.  I tried 3 days finding a solution. 2 nights it was raining heavily - so I gave up on it...

Greetings
2018-7-15
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

ok, did found video from my connection lost

sorry for any shaking, etc, camera was siting on ground, then hold it in hand, You ca see it as it goes d/c around 0:14
and it's really close range + flying it over a damn farm field,

but as far I remember, there is no damn error when d/c happens, like Freiheitenwelt case - only "downlink restored..." after restart remote - that's all

go4 logs are in my archive hdd, will get them later and edit that post
it happen twice till now.
1st on this movie feb '18

2nd was end of may '18 in spain, went d/c less then 100m away. and I did fly in that location earlier - no problems, and past that d/c too... no idea what is triggering that d/c

so for any mavic air pilot - if Your air going d/c = remote is going red without a reason, restart it ASAP to regain control

2018-7-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-7-16
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2

KREMi Posted at 2018-7-15 23:32
ok, did found video from my connection lost
mavic air lost connection close range no idea why
sorry for any shaking, etc, camera was siting on ground, then hold it in hand, You ca see it as it goes d/c around 0:14

Hi - Thx

That looks like really the case... Unfortunately didn't I restart controller because I thought it does it automatically... ;-(

Interesting you are on an iPhone... Because I always thought Android are the once that come with the problems. So it must be something about the controller itself...

Greetings
2018-7-16
Use props
Freiheitenwelt
lvl.2
Mexico

Hi there,

DJI just sent me a new drone and battery. Awesome!!! After checking all my flight data they confirmed that it wasn't a pilot fault.

In case someone ever will visit this place with climbing gear - please shoot me a message for GPS data...

Greetings form Mexiko
2018-7-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

That's unfortunate, hopefully you'll be back up in the air soon.
2018-7-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

That's unfortunate, hopefully you'll be back up in the air soon.
2018-7-20
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

sorry, had to dig little deeper to get old flight record
anyway
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/LSTFIM10H4N4HBMR21AJ/
just pass 9min of flight is situation earlier linked YT movie
link restored 1 min later after powering off/on remote
2018-7-20
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Very sad.  As mentioned it may well be related to the firmware upgrade.
2018-7-21
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

I have experienced the same MA<=>RC disconnection about 70m in front of me, all of sudden. The Failsafe RTH was triggered though and MA went smoothly to the HP descended for about half meter over the ground. Since the battery was still plenty of juice and the link did not restore itself, i have rebooted RC. The link was restored and i was able to land the drone safely.The Strong Interference message appeared immediately after restart, but i think it was just because of the restart. Here is the link to the screen record of this flight and log respectively. Anyone can give more info on this issue - i' ll be very grateful for it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... aP/view?usp=sharing
And link for log:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2WHY0E22A070MBPGI4X2/
2018-7-24
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Freiheitenwelt Posted at 2018-7-20 11:24
Hi there,

DJI just sent me a new drone and battery. Awesome!!! After checking all my flight data they confirmed that it wasn't a pilot fault.

very happy to hear that
2018-7-25
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Freiheitenwelt Posted at 2018-7-20 11:24
Hi there,

gratz - but still would love to know why there are those d/c as it's not safe to fly mine (IMO)
2018-7-29
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

El Diablo Posted at 2018-7-16 00:04
2 votes bud... the funny thing is that there are many 'professors' in this forum with less than 15 hours flight time (their own words)... in other forums other members would have already told them to STFU and learn but here somehow they establish themselves as authorities... weird... hahaha

I quite agree. I have seen someone with the title of First Officer with a total flight distance of less than 5.000 meters. I have flown more than 180 km and mine is still bloddy L3.
2018-7-30
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

I have experienced a similar disconnection problem 2 days before. As far as I see in here, nothing was generated except for blaming one on the other.  Is there anyone with a solution?
2018-7-30
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

All sorts of problems with latest firmware and app. Not just Android now either. My Ipad Mini4 has trouble with this as have others in our local flyers group. MP and MA getting disconnects.
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules