Airports, seaplanes, helicopters......who, what, when, where
563 8 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lwa11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123898 ft
United States

So my questions are simple but I bet not so simple an answer and I can't seem to find anything definitive.

1- How much time before you fly should you call the airport? Is it ok to go to take off spot and use B4UFLY (slow as hell app) to see restrictions and then make appropriate calls if needed?

2- Do airports have the ability to tell you not to fly your drone? If so, is it all airports or just ones with towers? Can seaplane owner one. alocal lake tell me no? How about the small airport (like a club) with no control tower?

FLY SAFE!!
2018-7-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Let's assume you're flying Part 101

1)  The rule is we must notify prior to the flight.  I like to do it just before the flight.  Not sure I understand the second question.  I like to get all the info first, then notify, then fly.

2)  Yes, airports can advise you not to fly.  You can fly anyway, but then you'd be guilty of endangering NAS.  So it would be a good idea to adhere to the advice of the airport.  

All airports.  

Re seaplane ports, heliports, etc. I would read PL 112-95 Sec 331-336 and then decide for yourself whether you think a seaport is an airport.  My opinion is it's not but it hasn't been tested legally.  Yet.  Small airports are airports so you must notify.   If it's an airport, you notify.  Doesn't matter if it has a tower, no tower, grass strip runway, etc.  You must notify an airport, any airport, all airports.  

Know that you must have a two-way conversation and clearance to fly in a Class B airport airspace, and most class B airport airspace stretch out along the surface at least seven miles, not five.  Notifying the Class B airport is not good enough.  Most model pilots aren't aware of this.  

MHO Good luck.

2018-7-11
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-11 06:33
Let's assume you're flying Part 101

1)  The rule is we must notify prior to the flight.  I like to do it just before the flight.  Not sure I understand the second question.  I like to get all the info first, then fly.  

Thank you Mark.

I haven't encounter a no yet. Heck so far I haven't even had anyone pick up at the local airport. I have left messages and my phone number each time I intend to fly.

I have been and will continue to be extremely cautious.
2018-7-11
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Download AIRMAP

If LAANC is available, you can electronically request authorization to fly.  You should know if within a mile or 2 of the airport, there's a good chance you won't be authorized to fly.

Also, in that range, you should spec your flight UNDER 100ft AGL.......

sUAS Facility Maps........  https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad

Zoom in to your area.......the squares have a number......that is the MAX Altitude you may fly without authorization.

Randy
2018-7-11
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-7-11 09:17
Download AIRMAP

If LAANC is available, you can electronically request authorization to fly.  You should know if within a mile or 2 of the airport, there's a good chance you won't be authorized to fly.

Thank you Randy. I want to sign up for a certification prep coarse and hopefully that will bring my understanding to a new level and also I am sure make me have even more questions.  lol
2018-7-11
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-7-11 09:17
Download AIRMAP

I have three non-towered airports near me and only one picks up the phone and one doesnt even have an answering machine and never any answer.  I make the attempt anyway.  I am curious how LAANC will treat these airports once its rolled out in my area.  I also declare a UAS operating area in Flight Service before each flight.
2018-7-11
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-11 09:31
Thank you Randy. I want to sign up for a certification prep coarse and hopefully that will bring my understanding to a new level and also I am sure make me have even more questions.  lol

lwa11,  you can go out the FAA (FAASTeam) website and take an online course for free.
https://www.faasafety.gov/
2018-7-11
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-11 11:14
lwa11,  you can go out the FAA (FAASTeam) website and take an online course for free.
https://www.faasafety.gov/

thank you Anokadrone. I appreciate your help.
2018-7-11
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-11 13:27
thank you Anokadrone. I appreciate your help.

Sure thing...glad to help.  They have some other material there that you may find relevant.  
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules